Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New traffic light design
  • sputnik
    Free Member

I like this idea a lot!

legend
    Free Member

The green one doesn’t make sense imo. When it starts running down you’ll get idiots rushing to get through. Red and Amber are good though

globalti
    Free Member

Some countries already have a countdown…. damned if I can remember where I saw it though… Cyprus? Serbia? Bosnia?

samuri
    Free Member

France. Quite a few lights in France now have countdowns. They work really well.

phil.w
    Free Member

Also on red lights in Bangkok

samuri
    Free Member

D0NK

The green one doesn’t make sense imo

agree for the same reasons. Do like the red/amber more prompt starts and presumably better for traffic flow.

<edit> altho if you stick cameras on all these lights should reduce the idiots and you’d have no “only just red” excuse for RLJ

stevied
    Free Member

The Amber is perfect for Fast n Furious style drag racing….I like 🙂 Green should just go solid green tho..

treaclesponge
    Free Member

No need for amber surely, red or green. You are either stopping/stopped, or moving. If it turns red when you are nearly there, stop. Countdowns for the remaining time on green will just make people floor it. Like the idea of counting down remaining red time though. People already just plough through amber or start moving on red/amber so why bother with it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

bits of turkmenistan have count downs as do parts of the ukraine

plyphon
    Free Member

Green an orange will encourage people to take risks. Red is quite nice tho

Edukator
    Free Member

The green countdown is useful on lights with red-light radars, if traffic is slow moving or there are people waiting to turn in the junction you can calculate the lights will go to amber as you pass, you’ll be in the wrong place as it goes red and stop rather than get flashed.

GrahamS

Just seems to encourage racing.

Personally I’d rather the money was spent on RLJ and ASL cameras!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

how does it show red and amber together?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

…and what does ‘what make it great for everyone’ mean?

also, what’s interactive about it?

it’s a silly thing

sputnik
    Free Member

Don’t know DK but I think the hour glass looks great and is basic so easy to understand .

DezB
    Free Member

I can’t get past “What Make It Great For Everyone”…

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve used some recently on pedestrian crossings, I can’t remember exactly where. A great help for slow moving people who know how much time they’ve got left, and also for impatient types who are happy to count down a few seconds but will jay walk if they don’t know how long they’ll have to wait.

bencooper
    Free Member

A great help for slow moving people who know how much time they’ve got left

They’ve got as much time as it takes, since pedestrians have a right to use the road, motor vehicles do not.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I like the countdown idea – it would let you know if it was worth allowing the engine to stop (bluemotion/eco type engines).

AlexSimon

The green one makes me want a glass of wine. Not green wine though, obviously.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New traffic light design’ is closed to new replies.