• This topic has 39 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by momo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • New toy – Cotic BFe
  • momo

I’ve spent the last 2 and a bit years riding a medium size Santa Cruz Blur 4X and as much as I love that bike, at 6’1″ it’s too short for me – I keep smacking my knees on the bars when climbing out of the saddle!

BlurFrontOn by le_grande_momo, on Flickr

I have been on the lookout for a large Blur frame, but they’re like hens teeth!

I decided that I would try to find something that was the correct size for a start, and that would take my Fox 36’s up front and that I could run my reverb on too, and ideally all without spending too much money!

Last week I spotted a large BFe in green that Bigmantrials was advertising in the classifieds on here, emails were exchanged and a deal was agreed. So on Friday afternoon I set off for the sunny west midlands to collect this

Newly collected by le_grande_momo, on Flickr

MrsMomo was staying at my house all weekend, so I had to be a good boy and stay out of the garage until Sunday night, but once I got out there, the Blur was stripped down to its component parts in double quick fashion and the Cotic build began!

First job was to sort out the chainstay protection – self amalgamating tape from screwfix

BFe taped chainstay by le_grande_momo, on Flickr

And this is the end result

BFe by le_grande_momo, on Flickr

Riders eye view by le_grande_momo, on Flickr

I’ve only had a quick spin on it so far, hoping to get out for a proper ride tonight, but so far I’m liking it.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

A 26er? Are you mad?

martymac

**like**

mrmoofo

I have a Gen 1 …
    In the undercoat grey colour

Fantastsic bikes – I like it better than the soul

kelvin

SWEET build!

johnhe

Luvrrly!

Bigmantrials

Glad to see it all built up again, looks like a bit of a monster, I hope you have fun on it!

momo

Bigmantrials – Member

Glad to see it all built up again, looks like a bit of a monster, I hope you have fun on it!

Thanks Adam, was an absolute pleasure dealing with you, I hope you enjoy your new toy when it arrives!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Very nice.

[STW KNOB] Your forks are too long you need 100mm any more is pointless[/STW KNOB]

mindmap3
    Free Member

Looks great. I love the green colour on the new ones.

I’ve got an XS ‘classic’ BFe built up as play bike and it’s an absolute hoot. It’s teeny but us just used to get thrown off jumps and down short DH runs in the local woods.

momo

I_Ache – Member

[STW KNOB] Your forks are too long you need 100mm any more is pointless[/STW KNOB]

I shall go and indulge in a session of self flagellation to atone for such a hideous crime!

honourablegeorge

Jebus – I’m 6’1″ and rode a large Blur 4x for ages, and it was too small. Dunno how you managed on a medium.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I thought that 130mm was the sweet spot on the BFe? That’s what the geometry is based around on the website. Mine feels pretty spot on with 130mm forks but I like long travel hardtails.

You did well to last that long with a medium SC what with their penchant for pigmy top tubes.

Freester

Garden looks immaculate.

Garage needs a bit of work. Very cluttered.

BillOddie

Replace big ring with a bash ring and add a dropper post!

Oh and mismatched tyres…tut tut!

Looks a hot though!

I_Ache
    Free Member

To be honest I ride my BFe at 140mm most of the time, when messing around on jumps I wind the forks down to 100. It still rides trails fine at 100 but is a little on the steep side when you forget and throw it down some roots. I was going to try mine with my lyriks for a giggle but couldn’t be bothered to mess around with the brakes.

momo

honourablegeorge – Member

Jebus – I’m 6’1″ and rode a large Blur 4x for ages, and it was too small. Dunno how you managed on a medium.

Frequent bruised knees and a stubborn streak 3 feet wide!

mindmap3 – Member

I thought that 130mm was the sweet spot on the BFe? That’s what the geometry is based around on the website. Mine feels pretty spot on with 130mm forks but I like long travel hardtails.

I had the 36’s already, if it rides like a pig I’ve got a set of 32 TALAS in the garage.

Freester – Member

Garden looks immaculate.

Garage needs a bit of work. Very cluttered.

I’ll have you know that it is organised chaos! Did have a good tidy up on Monday night after I’d finished the bike, the motorbike lives in the middle and I treat all the walls as storage space, it’s a proper little man cave!

BillOddie – Member

Replace big ring with a bash ring and add a dropper post!

I have a bash, will see how much use the big ring gets first. I lent my Reverb to a friend who is dropper curious at the weekend for him to try out. I’m walking in Wales with MrsMomo this coming weekend so will get it back from him after that.

Thanks for all the positive comments anyway 😉

phatstanley
    Free Member

i ride 160’s on my new bfe.
    great going up and awwwwwwwwesome goin’ down.

flange
    Free Member

Is the blur for sale?

momo

flange – Member

Is the blur for sale?

Yes, or it will be shortly anyway once I’m sure about the BFe.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Looks fun. The kind of bike you injure yourself on (in a good way!).

dragon
    Free Member

Looks dire with those forks on, stick your 32’s on it for FFS.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I like it with the 36’s. Anyway, based in what most peope on here say about 32’s you couldn’t possibly use them because they’re flexy noodles of forks that will result in certain death 😀

I_Ache
    Free Member

I agree with dragon. You don’t want to be putting strong heavy hitting forks on a strong heavy hitting frame.

You should be putting noodly stretched out XC forks on a BFe just like you would on a Soul. 🙄

6079smithw
    Free Member

Apart from saving you all the time/money of a new frame, what else would putting a longer stem on the SC in the first place have done?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Given the fact that the OP is over six foot he would have needed a retro tiller to get a good reach with the traditional SC pigmy top tube. I love SC bikes but their insistence on short top tubes (until the newer bikes like the Bronson) does my head in.

I agree with I_Ache tough forks have no place in a tough frame designed to be ridden like a hooligan.

6079smithw
    Free Member

The stem on the BFe has virtually no outreach.
    A 110/120/130mm stem never killed anyone. And they only cost £10-20.

jambalaya
    Free Member

That’s n-i-ce ….

First thing I was going to suggest was cabletie-ing the chain stay protector as it moves about but I see you have the self-algamating tape on.

Next I have 150/120 switchable Secktors on my BFe (prior model), I think the bike will ride fine with those Fox’s – if I’m not mistaken they are the 150 Talas from circa 2006, I have those forks on another bike and I think the BFe will go well with them. It just loves to be ridden and to play, you’ll be seeking out anything to pop off or a bit of trail you can hammer down. If you were looking for the “perfect fork” for the bike you might choose something else but we all rarely get the chance to do that for every component.

mboy
    Free Member

The stem on the BFe has virtually no outreach.
    A 110/120/130mm stem never killed anyone. And they only cost £10-20.

The bike has Disc Brakes on it too, surely that’s pointless overkill?

Glad to see the resident old school troll has made a return for some japes and much hilarity! 😉

momo

The forks are 160mm van rc2s, and they’re most definitely staying where they are, just come back in from a quick 11 mile local loop and wow what a bike! It’s going to take me a few rides to re-adjust to a hardtail.

I am one happy Momo, looking forward to getting out again tomorrow night now.

johnhe

I say again, lurrvly!

spudly1979
    Free Member

looks sweeeeet! Was absolutely certain i wanted the orange until i saw that green again!

Can i just ask – whats the idea with the self-algamating tape? Is it better than the ‘normal’ protector you buy?

trailzilla
    Free Member

Very nice.

I’ve got the previous genration blue frame with a similar setup with that chain device from your first picture and a double and bash XT crank setup to keep things happy over the rough stuff.

I’ve also got huge tyres and ridiculously wide bars – one mate called it a ‘clown bike’ after having a go, but I love it dearly.

*** Tip – put some of that tape on the other chainstay as the brake disc tends to scratch the inside of the frame when you take the back wheel off.

kelvin

It’s the forks’n’stem that make it such a sweet build. Looks like a hoot!

timc
    Free Member

phatstanley – Member
    i ride 160’s on my new bfe. great going up

you would say that, i suspect its more just ok having ridden a soul with 130mm travel

b45her
    Free Member

all these folk that shout over biked at anything that isn’t a rigid single speed are a supercilious bunch of ****, just because you can’t ride a bike hard enough to use more than 80mm of travel doesn’t mean other riders can’t 🙄

timc
    Free Member

presuming you not talking about me? if so, id read it again 8)

I_Ache
    Free Member

I think the chap above has a good point re. Putting a 130mm stem on the 4x it is a very good idea. Having your weight over or beyond the front axle will really help with steep descents, you will have a much better chance of keeping the front on the ground and with the extra leverage the steering will be loads more precise over rocky stuff. I don’t think getting stucco in ruts will be an issue either as you will easily be able to turn out of it.

mrmoofo

all these folk that shout over biked at anything that isn’t a rigid single speed are a supercilious bunch of ****, just because you can’t ride a bike hard enough to use more than 80mm of travel doesn’t mean other riders can’t

I remember when 80 mm was badged as long travel !!

momo

mrmoofo – Member

I remember when 80 mm was badged as long travel !!

So do I! My first suspension forks were marzochi xc51’s! A whole 2″ of travel!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘New toy – Cotic BFe’ is closed to new replies.