Viewing 27 posts - 561 through 587 (of 587 total)
  • New Top Gear series…
  • Speeder

Just watched Sundays and it was actually the best of the series. Evans wasn’t too annoying and there was some proper car content in there. EJ as annoying and SS as pointless as ever.

When they come back next season with the 3 preferred presenters and have reverted to the old SIARPC feature (here’s hoping) it’ll be pretty good. Not what it once was but a proper new car prog with room to grow.

It was a painful transition but it might be worth it. Fingers crossed.

Oh and well done Chris Evans, it was a brave decision but needed doing.

rOcKeTdOg

Carmen jorda

Blimey!

atlaz
    Free Member

Carmen jorda

You mean the young lady they hired because she looks good not because of any discernible talent. There are better young female racing drivers who don’t look as good in a bikini I’m sure. Michèle Mouton (the only woman to win in top level rallying) described her as a marketing gimmick.

Maybe top gear could find someone a little more credible 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    milky1980
    Free Member

What is the studio audience for?

It was a big part of the show. I was in the audience for one of the early series (3 possibly?) and the off-camera banter and mucking around between takes was hilarious! This was the early days of the trio but it was easy to see that they genuinely got on with each other. The atmosphere generated by the off-camera stuff meant the filmed bits were better and more relaxed.

Oh and well done Chris Evans, it was a brave decision but needed doing.

+1. He could have tried and run for a second series but it speaks about his respect for the show to walk away from it and not damage if further. He was good in places (the MG bit last episode for example) but it’s obvious LeBlanc is the head star for the time being with Harris and Reid as the sidekicks.

EDIT: just checked and it was S3, Ep 3 with Rob Brydon. My sister knows his PA so got us tickets from there 😀

martinhutch

He could have tried and run for a second series but it speaks about his respect for the show to walk away from it and not damage if further

He has a long history of just clearing off when things aren’t going well for him – Radio 1, Virgin Radio etc, so I’m not sure ‘respect for the show’ is a given.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Evans is a full on media lovie. IMO there is no way he’d want to stick at TG amongst all the critism of him personally and falling ratings, there is a personal business logic too as if his “aura of popularity” is puntured his brand balue is much decreased. As I posted way back selling his cars when it was announced he was the new host was smart timing, maximum PR and avoids risk of show being a bust and any celebrity owner premium being eroded.

He took the smart decision to get out at the first opportunity and “resigned” is better than “fired”

scuttler

Evans et al aside, Sutherland looked astonishing in that Mustang segment.

CountZero

He has a long history of just clearing off when things aren’t going well for him – Radio 1, Virgin Radio etc, so I’m not sure ‘respect for the show’ is a given.

There was a piece in one of the papers today quoting a close aquaintence and others saying exactly the same. But then he’s rich enough T to be able to just walk away from any confrontation and not care about the consequences.
    As far as the sex claims are concerned, he openly admits to walking into rooms either naked or just dropping his trousers, so this isn’t really a kiddy fondling accusation, but he is, allegedly, something of a bully if he doesn’t get his own way, so I can definitely see a sexual harassment charge coming.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Soooooooo……

Rumours of James Martin joining TG, anyone? No, not the one from Faith No More. The chef.

Kryton57

martinhutch

Rumours of James Martin joining TG, anyone?

Utter arsehole. Like Clarkson but without the good nature and warmth (and creativity). Watched a bit of some show yonks ago about him taking part in some Italian vintage sports car rally. Never seen someone so apparently happy to be shown acting like a complete spoiled prick.

tomhoward

some Italian vintage sports car rally.

I think the Mille Miglia deserves a little more than that!

martinhutch

Oh, all right. 😀 Would have been a classier event if they kicked JM out though.

cokie

I hate James Martin. I find him incredibly dull, yet self absorbed.
    I also watched the Mille Miglia episode.. he’s awful.

Plus, as we are on a cycling forum.. THIS . 👿

RustySpanner

Ah well.
    I quite enjoyed that one series.

James Martin is an egotistical, rat faced, bike hating ladle squeezer.

Please, just no.

convert

He is certainly on the list of ‘celebs’ it should be considered legal to kick in the nads.

craigxxl
    Free Member

They don’t need to replace Chris Evans, Matt LeBlanc had outclassed him at every turn and showed he had an interest in cars and not just a collector of expensive luxuries. They should also start culling off some of the others that contributed nothing including Sabine Schmitz and Eddie Jordan. Leave just Mat LeBlanc, Chris Harris and Rory Reid, who all did a pretty good job.

convert

Sabine Schmitz was a disappointment – contributed less than when she appeared in old topgear. However as the whole thing is scripted to hell, I wonder if the criticism (and praise come to that) of the individual presenters in well founded and more of the success/failure should be attributed to the script writers.

I thought one of the most telling parts of Evan’s resignation comments was his praise of LeBlanc and specifically his professionalism and ability to learn and delivery his lines. It just reminds you what you are watching.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Chris Harris came across like he has in all his YouTube videos, it may be scripted but he must have had a big hand in writing his bits.

cokie

Chris Harris came across like he has in all his YouTube videos, it may be scripted but he must have had a big hand in writing his bit

+1

The last segment he did was very much like his old stuff. It feels like his YT videos, but with more cash. There’s better camera angles and some CGI (a bit too much tbh).

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’ve watched very little of Harris before the series, and I don’t find him all that impressive in front of the camera.

That last segment he did in the BMW i8 was awful; just repeatedly spouting the engine size and BHP figures. Was it a pastiche of something?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Sabine Schmitz was a disappointment – contributed less than when she appeared in old topgear. However as the whole thing is scripted to hell, I wonder if the criticism (and praise come to that) of the individual presenters in well founded and more of the success/failure should be attributed to the script writers.

Obviously yes as the previous Top Gear was also heavily scripted with some proper cringe moments.

tlr

I watched a couple of old top gear episodes on Dave recently. The thing is that they were laugh-out-loud funny in a way that the new series hasn’t got close to, but appears to be striving for. I’d forgotten how good they were

I know it was all carefully planned and scripted but like them or loathe them, May, Clarkson and Hammond had a real chemistry. It was like watching your mates prating around, but with a rather larger budget.

The new series is no better than 5th Gear – OK, but you wouldn’t be upset if you missed it.

milky1980
    Free Member

Not James Martin 😯

He’s known to be a right arse in the classic car world at times. The Mille Miglia thing he did came in for a whole heap of criticism after he rebuilt the car with new white metal bearings etc then just thrashed it without bedding them in. Caused a fair amount of damage apparently.

Just let LeBlanc run with it for a series, might need help behind the scenes for ideas and locations but he’s a proper petrolhead. They need to let the relationships build naturally.

ninfan
    Free Member

Journos have had a preview of the new Amazon series… and it’s not looking good for the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p045xtvk

shermer75
    Free Member

Erm…has this finished already? Or has the golf pushed it off the schedule for a week?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Gilf, sorry Golf.

Viewing 27 posts - 561 through 587 (of 587 total)

The topic ‘New Top Gear series…’ is closed to new replies.