Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • New toll system on the Severn Bridges proposed.
  • ransos
    Free Member

Oh that’s a great gag, well done.

You’re welcome.

lucky7500

This article from earlier in the year potentially explains what is happening. It seems that preparations are probably being made for the bridges to return to public ownership.

woody74

Seems like a sensible idea to me. Technology can’t be that complicated as it has been used for Londons congestion charge for years. Anything to free up the flow of traffic is a good idea.

However it does make you think why does the Welsh government not just cover the full cost of the bridges. Im sure a tiny increases in taxes would easily cover it.

hammyuk
    Free Member

It and the Dartford have been in positive equity for years.
    Both are a huge two fingers to everyone as from the outset they were only supposed to be toll charged until they were paid for.
    If you ever write a cheque for the Dartford it is paid to “Le Tunnel” so work it out…..

P-Jay
    Free Member

It and the Dartford have been in positive equity for years.
    Both are a huge two fingers to everyone as from the outset they were only supposed to be toll charged until they were paid for.
    If you ever write a cheque for the Dartford it is paid to “Le Tunnel” so work it out…..

Including operating expenses and taking on the pre-existing debt for the first bridge the second crossing hasn’t quiet paid off the deal to the funders, but will soon. Hence the reduction in tolls.

It’s meant to be cut by 50% in 2018, but that was a pre-Brexit promise and I don’t know if there was an element of public subsidy in that.

molgrips
    Free Member

If it goes to the WA they want to cut it a lot or even make it free – they are quite keen on making it easier to get in and out of Wales.

cchris2lou

the Dartford toll is managed by a French company .

jon1973
    Free Member

zut alors

CountZero

Just a quick follow up to something that was said here, I was trying to find any further info on this subject and this thread was high in the Google search;

I thought trade plates had to be at either end of the vehicle as only the bit between was insured?

Edit its against the law to display trade plates in windows. They need to replace the number plates so originals not visible. Google working well (dad and grandad were both in the trade)
    To be clear, agency drivers like myself who work for the likes of BCA are issued with just a pair of standard trade plates that have no means for attaching them to the car externally, the only option is to put them into the car windows.
    Some cars, however, have no surround on the back window into which a plate can be pushed, and many light commercial vehicles have solid rear doors, or mesh protected, so it’s impossible to mount the plates there.
    We’ve been told that so long as a pair of plates are displayed, to show that one hasn’t been put into another car, then the police don’t care, it shows that the car is covered if the tax, insurance or MOT have run out, which is sometimes the case if it’s a lease car that’s taken a while to arrange for it to be picked up.
    I’m sure clear info on this will filter through, I’ll have been back and forth over the Severn to Newport three, four, possibly five times this week, with a different car every time, although sometimes I’ll be taken over and bring a car back, so after November, the free trip won’t happen any more.
    Maybe they’ll just ignore trade plated cars as not worth bothering about.

jonnyboi

The M50 in Ireland is toll free (e flow) and they are perfectly adept at tracking down and charging foreign vehicles, in fact they excell at it

rickmeister

I use the dart ford crossing with a car on German plates…
    System works well, I have an account and it’s easy to use.

Due to an error at the dart ford end, I know there is a connection that traces plates and owners to recover non payment. The one way crossing charge then changes to €196 which a company called Media Incasso try and recover.

Same company deals with uk parking tickets.

Sandwich

Count Zero the trade plates DO NOT cover insurance, just registration and VED stuff. (I have a nephew who discovered this the hard way). Insurance will be arranged via your employers business policy. MoT certs I’m not certain of but I suspect the vehicle will need a valid cert to be driven on the road. This page makes no mention of MoT being covered.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

deadkenny
    Free Member

cchris2lou – Member 

Sanef, who do the French tolls. Though odd they use a different system instead of just using the tags they use in France. Maybe no barriers and trying to bill people based on registration is cheaper than barriers and a tag plus people collecting cash for those without them. I do like being able to sail through the tag lane though while the peasants queue for cash payment.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘New toll system on the Severn Bridges proposed.’ is closed to new replies.