Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New to the Surrey Hills – does anyone have a good route I can load into komoot?
  • toblerone1

Hi folks. I’m looking for a good medium length 2 to 3 hour route around the Surrey Hills, starting in Peaslake or Holmbury. Can anyone point me in the direction of a nice loop?

Cheers

robertpb
    Free Member

Plenty of rides on this site, gpsies.com

toblerone1

Cheers Robert, spot on!

eddie
    Free Member

What do you load those route maps onto? Do you get directions like a sat nav even when off road?

ta11pau1

I would have said get yourself onto a shop ride from pedal & spoke in peaslake but they don’t seem to be doing them at the moment.

Surrey Hills isn’t a place for doing ‘loops’ – spiders webs, maybe 🤣

toblerone1

Cheers all, found a few routes on Trailforks also.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Surrey Hills isn’t a place for doing ‘loops’ – spiders webs, maybe 🤣

You can do loops. Just they can be a bit epic. Unless it’s loops sessioning some downhills, then most likely it’s loops around Pitch Hill.

What do you load those route maps onto? Do you get directions like a sat nav even when off road?

Depends on the device and whether the route has turn indicators embedded in them (I’m not too hot on these things, but I gather that’s what you need rather than just a plain GPS).

However the nature of off-road, singletrack and random paths can be tricky to follow even with turn directions. Three options ahead in the same direction of the arrow, which is it? Followed plenty using Garmins trying to navigate and then it’s “no, wrong way, turn around” and waiting while the device catches up. It’s easier if following rights of ways though as the device will lock onto them on the map. If the device has maps.

Still, the popular SH singletrack is all around the Peaslake, Pitch & Holmbury Hill area and just ask around, explore and look for trails and follow them. A sense of direction or ViewRanger, Trail Forks etc on the phone helps. At least for plotting where you want to go.

Big loop… Nirvana Killer Loop used to be a good one.

p.s. Once you’ve set up an account in Komoot and are riding in a particular area, it starts throwing suggested routes. Not sure if you can also just tell it where you’re interested in riding.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New to the Surrey Hills – does anyone have a good route I can load into komoot?’ is closed to new replies.