Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New to the forum and in search of…
  • danmac
    Free Member

So having read many an article and post on STW, I figured it was probably about time I joined in. Having recently bought a new hardtail to try and combat a good few years of physical neglect, I’m trying to find some local xc/bridleway/bit of everything routes or maybe even a laid back club with no pressure to it. I’m Worcestershire based so fairly central. Any help or wise words and pointers would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

lunge

Where in Worcs are you? There’s a good few people around that are and depending on where you are we could point you to the closest stuff.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’m afraid Dan your first post has to be either a what tyres or what’s it worth thread. It’s the law.

funkmasterp

Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully you don’t work in IT or have a wood burning stove. We’ve enough of those already. What hardtail have you got?

teamslug
    Free Member

And protocol dictates that you have to post a picture of your garden so we can tell you that : your grass needs cutting/shed needs painting/path needs weeding* * delete as applicable

geomickb
    Free Member

I’m quite new her myself so I could be wrong but it sounds like you may have cat aids. 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

Get yourself over to Malvern. The Hills are fantastic for a bimble. Yes there’s some steep bits but you can navigate your way around pretty easily and the conservators have recently added waymarked routes.
    https://www.malvernhills.org.uk/visiting/cycling/mountain-bike-trails/

danmac
    Free Member

I’m in Bromsgrove lunge. Funkmaster, have a Trek Roscoe 7. Definately not in IT and no log burner here. Humble mobile mechanic so definately not a weather snob. As far as my garden goes slug… grass definately in need of cutting, patio in need of a jet wash but shed paint is ok for now 🙂 as for the cat aids thing… I’m not really sure how to answer that haha

lunge

From Bromsgrove your obvious options are Lickey’s, though mostly that’s cheeky stuff or Clent. The latter has a fair amount of riding, you could probably get there almost all off road from Bromsgrove too.
    If you want to get in the car, Wyre Forest is good, though I gather a guide would be useful.

I find when I’m new to an area I go onto Strava and look at the routes others do, you’ll find some ideas that way.

butcher

In terms of finding routes, a local club or group would be ideal to show you round of course, but you can also try places like Strava, RideWithGps, etc. You should be able to find plenty of local routes with these, and if you view OSM Cycle maps, you’ll also be able to see the national cycle network, which is useful for finding quiet roads and cycle paths – possibly not exactly what you’re looking for, but useful for linking routes up, etc.

And of course OS maps where mountain biking is concerned… Bikehike.co.uk have an OS map view in their course creator.

danmac
    Free Member

Yeh I’ve found the lickeys or clent to be my local “go to’s” for now. Clients a good workout and about 75% of the route there is off road and bridle way. The lickeys are good for a play about so I’ve found so far

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Trail forks app and Strava heatmap backed up with a OS map

danmac
    Free Member

Il have a good play with some of these apps today and see what I can figure. Thanks all

arrpee
    Free Member

Why can’t you just admit that it’s you, Fred?

danmac
    Free Member

Fred?

GolfChick
    Free Member

@rocketdog to the forum. He’ll be able to give you some words of wisdom on lickey hills and im sure he’ll offer to meet up with you seeing as he’s one of the few people who rides more than me!

danmac
    Free Member

Well I’ve just got back from a play up the lickeys. Slippery, boggy and filthy, never the less, great fun still. May go for an explore over clent in the morning

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ask Dave Jenvey! Isn’t he a lickey end lad?

Second Wyre Forest, incl Kinver Edge.

Bredon Hill can be alright for but hell in the wet.

rOcKeTdOg

Ask Dave Jenvey!

Dave Jevney is a legend!

Bromsgrove hey OP?

Lickeys is sloppy now as is the wyre forest but come spring is much much better.

If you want to come on a ride with the NWAlpsCC posse (North Worcestershire Alps) you’ll need to put up with Jones bikes, fat bikes, bikes with weird shaped bars. Plaid shirts,  lots of talking, piss taking, cake eating and the occasional beer. We are not performance based or at all gnar or RAD. We will however throw ourselves down most things in ungainly fashion

ratherbeintobago

Have you found the picolax thread yet?

danmac
    Free Member

Picolax thread? Coming on a ride sounds good! Ungainley fashion is sounds right up my alley, as for the cake and beer… where do I sign up? 🤣 I can definately vouch for the Lickeys being sloppy… turns out hardtails drift

jekkyl

Cannock!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New to the forum and in search of…’ is closed to new replies.