Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New to Snow sports and fancy a holiday
  • Rscott
    Free Member

So me and the missis have had a few lessons at xcape, I ski and she boards.

We fancy heading to a ski resort next year February/early march time,I know its busy but thats when our holidays fall.

Now as i say We have had a few lessons can control speed and link turns for me using the snow plough)

We’ve not exactly got much money to play with so were looking at the likes of bulgaria, But not sure what we need to be looking out for. We want to make it as easy as possible and could prob benefit from a ski/boarding school.

What should we be looking out for and where should i be looking.

sandal100

I went to Borovets in Bulgaria for my first ski holiday two years ago. We went with Neilsens and took their lift pass/lessons pass. The lessons were all day and were really good. I’d only done xscape before that and was feeling confident on the Reds at the end of the week.

I went in school hols and it was busy but it’s cheap and there was lots of snow!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

If it was me, I would book a week of time off from work. I would then look last minute for something where the snow and weather is good. It should mean you should be able to get something more luxurious for cheaper too. For example a hot tub or sauna is a godsend on the first holiday

I went to Andorra as a beginner and it was great. I always recommend Austria to anyone and Switzerland is the best (in Europe) IMHO . I went to bulgaria 10 years ago and wasn’t impressed but I hear it has improved alot

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Crell
    Free Member

I went to Pamporovo for my first skiing hol, but that was 21 years ago. My lasting memory was that the hotel was full of prostitutes, and the skiing was “developing”.

Bulgaria, Andorra & Sierra Nevada normally come up cheap.

Nielsen have just sent me an email with some deals; £280 for a week half board in Borovets seems to be the cheapest they’re offering.

Definitely worth doing lessons as you’ll meet some people while you’re there.

edit: On booking last minute – you take your chances. I’ve had two “last minute” half term holidays in the last two years. Both booked the day before we flew. One saved a small amount, the other turned out to be pretty expensive as there was nothing at all available with the tour operators (minimum of £1800 / PP for flights & accom). We did a DIY hol instead but I was sorting transfers out from the airport. Outside of the half term weeks (European Hols included) it’s a lot less risky.

igm

Second or third week in March tends to be cheap – check some brochures – and normally good for deals.

Alps snow is still ok then – I don’t know about other places.

russ295
    Free Member

I’ve been to borovets , pamparovo (many years ago) and Bansko. Out of all three I’ve only returned to Bansko (7 times)
    It can be a pain at the gondola at times but it’s ok if you get there early, but last time I was there it just seemed to be full of out of control Russians and witnessed many unecessary accidents.
    I’ve been to Andorra (arinsal) a few times over the last 2 years and have enjoyed it. Will be heading back this year at some point. The ski and board tuition looked to be pretty good. Prices are pretty good aswell.
    I spent 2 weeks in Sierra Nevada in January. The lift passes are quite expensive for the resort size and there wasn’t many English speaking instructors. It’s the second time I’ve been but I doubt I’d return.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

See what you can get with Interski Classics.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Top tip… when learning you don’t actually want it to snow!

It’s much nicer learning under sunny skies.

So go as late in the year as you can. (While still having at least some snow on the hill)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New to Snow sports and fancy a holiday’ is closed to new replies.