Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New (to me) Bike Day – and some Things I've Learned
  • siwhite
    Free Member

Wahey – new bike day for me (yesterday actually, but you know…) My last bike was a 2005 Cannondale Prophet, which was always too small for me.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/NNQzmH]Untitled[/url] by Scgwhite, on Flickr

I’ve just finished building a 29″ carbon Stumpjumper Evo with parts I’ve sourced from this forum. Pikes, Roval wheels, carbon fatbars and Renthal stem, plus the old Deore brakes and Zee / Saint groupset from my old 26er. I have built is as a 6fattie (650b+) with some 3″ Purgatorys, just to be trendy.

First ride (ever, aside from a lap of the garden) was at Swinley yesterday afternoon.

Some things I’ve learned;

– Suspension has come on MILES since I last bought a bike. MILES and MILES.
    – B+ tyres at 15 psi feel vastly under inflated in the car park, and make you terrified of smashing rims.
    – B+ tyres with an air leak from a poor attempt at tubeless get very flat, but are still rideable for quite a while.
    – B+ tyres GRIP LIKE MAD. Crackers – I am properly bowled over – cornering and climbing are very good.
    – 800mm bars feel very wide after my old risers that were probably under 700mm. Nice though.
    – Stepless dropper posts are much better than a three stage dropper that I’m used to.
    – Big wheeled bikes are FAST – to my amazement, I broke 27 PRs on Strava yesterday.
    – This is a hugely confidence inspiring bike – very forgiving, fast and smooth – it made this very average rider feel decidedly above average

In summary, I have a new love for mountain biking which I thought I’d lost forever. Hooray for bikes!

J273
    Free Member

Looks spot on that Simon 🙂

Built as a B+ why didn’t i think of that.

belugabob
    Free Member

Niiiice!

km79
    Free Member

Nice looking bike, glad it goes as good as it looks.

siwhite
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies – Jamie, I’m glad you saw this, I was going to drop you a copy of the pic…!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Retro pedals are retro! 😀

That looks good. Very good.

siwhite
    Free Member

Good pedal spot – found them in the back of a drawer and thought they ought to have an outing again. I bought those in my first term at university in 1997; most retro!

matt_outandabout

I’m struggling to criticise grass/logos/hose length/colour choice/bar rotation.

Ergo, it must be good.

creagbhan

Looking good Simon

tthew

Cranks should be level. #fail. (And photo’d from drive side)

Nice bike OP.

rOcKeTdOg

Your garden is big but sparse, needs more colourful borders & maybe the tree planting could be more geometrical going forward

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

1997; most retro!

Pfffft.

Noob.

😉

hairyscary

Front brake hose on the outside of the fork!

siwhite
    Free Member

Is that not where it goes? Outside seems the obvious route, given the groove and guide arrangement. If it’s wrong, I’ll fix it immediately (or tomorrow…)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New (to me) Bike Day – and some Things I've Learned’ is closed to new replies.