Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New (to me) Bike Day
  • prawny

Finally passed my tests after a long COVID based delay and upgraded from my crappy little scooter to a well used er6n.

It’s a 100% commuter workhorse, needs a top box fitting but seems otherwise just the job. We’ll see I suppose, I might miss the twist and go after a bit and end up getting a bigger scoot in 6 months 😂

" alt="" />

33tango

Good Job!

dyna-ti

Wel done.

I’ve been considering doing bike lessons. How much were they for you 😕

Basically as already pointed out on several threads that the stupid cost of an Ebike for commuting, I’d probably be better off with a proper motorbike.
    Plus I like motorbikes with sidecars, which would be the way to go for me.

prawny

I really enjoyed the lessons, wasn’t cheap though but I was really tight on time before my CBT needed doing again so had to go with the most available and not the cheapest. It cost me pretty much a grand including all the tests luckily I passed them all first time so no retest fees.

Before I booked it I seriously considered getting an e bike but I’ve still spent less, and this should allow me to go a bit further in normal clothes if the need arose. Bike cost £1600 insurance is £150 comp and tax is £95. So I could buy an ebike for £3000 and break even but this way I get back from work 20mins earlier.

Sidecars cost a fortune there’s a place by me with a couple, they’re asking about £10k for them. Add in the lack of filtering ability you’d be better off with a small car.

dyna-ti

I found that you can buy the side car as a separate item, costing considerably less, then its a matter of adapting it yourself.
    Knew a bloke had a ‘sidewinder’ on his bike he used shopping,camping and the like. Something like that i thought would be the way to go, without buying something already built and complete.

Example –
    (modern bikers will probably be recoiling in horror at this 😆 )
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133799838065?hash=item1f27178171:g:DtwAAOSwtT9gvQoW

I however think thats the epitome of cool

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

It cost me about a grand also.

CBT, theory, hazard perception, MOD 1, MOD 2 plus all the training.

@prawny
    Nice wheels, enjoy!

willard

Good choice! I looked at one of those before i got the (much older and cheaper) Bandit 650 I’m riding now. Cracking bike though.

Don’t scrimp on the PPE nd good luck with getting goretex that is better than “waterproof”!

prawny

@willard I was going to go for a Bandit but they were all either older carb non abs models or much more expensive. Nice bikes though.

I’ve been scooting round for the last couple of years so I’m fully PPEd up, although my first lot is getting ripe for replacement now so I’m planning on going lighter and less waterproof and just weathering weatherproof stuff over the top. My current jacket and trousers are boiling in the summer and I need to wear a coat under the jacket in the winter too.

willard

2007 non-ABS/carb here, GF has the newer 1250 version with ABS and injection. I kind of like the smell of petrol when I take the raincover off… It was very cheap though.

How do you find the riding position on yours around town?

prawny

We’ll, I don’t have much to compare it to, I’ve only really ridden my scooter and the did all my training on these so I can only really say overall I prefer it to the scooter and it’s fine around town. But it’s a sportier position than I really wanted, my feet are quite tucked up.

I was after a cheap ADV bike but there’s not much about at the moment, this was the right spec at the right price. In a year or so I might be in a position to swap it for something more upright and comfy, the dream was an NC750X so maybe in a couple of years I’ll be able to afford a nice one.

The comfiest bike I sat on during a trip to CMC was a Honda CBF1000, it felt so right, absolutely perfect. But another £1-2k to buy and I was unsure about going straight to a 1000cc right off the bat. I looked at 1250 bandits too but decided against for the same reason, I didn’t find it as comfy as the Honda in the showroom either.

johnnymarone
    Free Member

Er6 is a lovely bike to ride around town, in my experience.
    Did my test on an Er6, but none around to buy when I passed so bought a Bandit carb model.
    Absolutely hated the thing, did about 300miles on it in 4 years before eventually selling it. Was an absolute pig to ride around town compared to the Er6, so I think you made the right choice.
    When my friends get their first bikes I always suggest the Er6 as a n optio n.

willard

I can’t argue with that; the ER6 is a great bike! They got recommended to me by almost everyone and it was only finding the cheapness that made me go to the Bandit.

@prawny
    , when are you planning a track day?

prawny

Lol, it for a long time if ever.

I have no real desire to ride fast at all, if I’ve got time free I’d rather go out on my mountain bike. I prefer to pedal, I’m just to old fat and lazy to want to go back to cycling to work.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New (to me) Bike Day’ is closed to new replies.