Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • New to Android, what Apps are actually worth having?
  • big_n_daft
    Free Member

what’s actually useful and what is just data eating dross?

nick1962
    Free Member

STRAVA!!!!!!!!!!!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Rainwatch
    CNET
    Dropbox

PrinceJohn

Poweramp for music, Airdroid.
    The usual social networking apps.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

STRAVA, I’ve found that my Garmin gives better results than a phone b based on the miffed faces of others I have ridden with

Haze

Tetris

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ones that you are interested in?

For me it’s my bank, instagram and stuff like that, the facebook one still does sort by most(highly random) relevant only so the webpage is better, twitter, Linked IN, Spotify (pro for downloadable play lists), BBC Sport, key ring for loyalty cards, red bull tv, light flow, swift key, STW Mag thing, convert pad, drop box,

Mackem

Viewranger
    Navfree
    Fotmob (if you like football)
    BBC news app
    Flipboard

kimbers

google sky
    google drive
    showbox

crush83
    Free Member

Get a good app/task killer to help extended battery life.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If you’re looking at following bike routes on your phone in OS maps (rather than paper map/guidebook), I’ve found Backcountry Navigator to be a cheap option and it works well enough. You pay a one off fee of £6.99 (3 weeks free trial) and get OS maps down to 1:25K. It works by you copying and saving selected sections of multimap to use when out of range (do this on WiFi at home). If you’re in range then it will just use multimap. It’s not quite as slick as some of the other ones, but with them you have to pay quite a lot to buy small tiles of OS map. It does everything you need.

colande
    Free Member

if you use google calendar then Business Calendar is good,

ross980
    Free Member

Camscanner – creates PDFs from photos which you can then email.
    Flashlight
    Metoffice
    iPlayer
    3G Watcher – monitors data usage
    Advanced Task Killer – though I only need it because my phone is gash and slows down sometimes.
    Endomondo

Some geeky ones:
    Google Sky maps
    Lunafaqt – has sun/moon rise/set times. Also has twilight times etc. Quite useful for working out if you’ll need lights

EDIT: As ^ BBC News and Viewranger (I’ve got full N England at 1:50k, not cheap though)

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Spotify, Currents, Kindle, Field Trip, Drippler, Player Pro for music and if you want a really good satnav then CoPilot is well worth the £20

mjb

Google drive for storing docs
    Google keep for making notes
    Dogcatcher for automatically sorting out the podcasts i listen to
    Endomondo for tracking my rides/runs
    Outofmilk for shopping lists
    Feedly for grouping together all blogs etc. i read
    Pocket for storing web pages/articles for reading later and when offline
    Mightytext so i can text etc. from my PC
    Flashlight for when it’s dark
    Echo112 just in case

deviant
    Free Member

TuneIn radio

Youtube

BBC’s range of apps…iplayer, BBC News, BBC Sport, BBC Weather etc etc

Eurosport

Google’s range of apps…Earth, Maps/Navigation, Music, Translate, Chrome etc etc

Strava

Mytracks

Smart Tools….measures angles etc

Unit Converter

AppyGeek….tech/smartphone news

Other than that the phone can be set up with Google’s default widgets and apps, they really are market leading at the moment.

Due to the customisation on Android and the ability to have multiple home screens i have my Gmail inbox taking up half a page and my Hotmail inbox taking up the other half…notifications come in on the bar at the top of the screen and the first part of any email (sender, subject, first line or two of text) can be read without actually having to open the email, great for saving time and deciding whether an email needs attention or can be left for later and all without opening the app properly….Android does the same for texts, the notification will show in the bar and then the sender and first line or two of text will scroll across the top of the screen, you can then decide if the text is urgent or can wait but crucially you dont need to stop what you’re doing and go into the messaging app itself, you can also reply from the notification bar.

BBC and the Met Office both offer live widgets for their weather apps, this is great too…no need to open the app just unlock the screen and there it is already displayed.

Google’s own calendar is great and syncs to my hotmail account, Google Now is astounding and gives live info on my journey time home, traffic updates etc etc

I have all this running on a Nexus-4 and easily get a full days use from the phone, the bad old days of power hungry Android apps and widgets are a few years ago now….the HTC One-S i had last year was also very good with it’s battery.

user-removed
    Free Member

Back country navigator + a bazillion. The ‘Pro’ version is pennies and is simply brilliant. You will never regret spending the paltry £7 or thereabouts. I’ve downloaded hundreds of miles of OS maps onto my memory card so no need for phone signal. Combined with a little AA battery pack thing, I’ll never be lost again!

And Co-Pilot for about £20 is the best sat-nav going without actually buying a sat-nav.

samuri
    Free Member

The ones on mine I use the most are

Endomondo
    Twitter
    Enjoy Suduko
    Dolphin Browser
    Netflix

I’m still struggling a little to find an app that allows me to share photos with everyone rather than just people using the same app.

I want to be able to upload photos from my phone and then using the link, embed those images in forums like this one. At the moment I have to upload them to flickr, then go to the classic site using a browser and then use the share option from there but it’s very clunky.
    Any suggestion?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

crush83 – Member
    Get a good app/task killer to help extended battery life.

They don’t work.

JuiceDefender does save battery though.

Flipboard is decent. Terratime is a great widget or animated wallpaper. Yahoo weather or Beautiful Widgets good weather widgets. Youtube, Gmail, GoogleCalender. Flexr good shift planner if you work rotas. Viewranger and Google Maps. Facebook if you like that kinda thing. WhatsApp messenger. RealRacing decent driving game. MapMyRide. DropBox.

samuri
    Free Member

Best thing you can do for battery life is turn off auto-updates

ocrider

Whatsapp, as has already been said above, brilliant for texting friends abroad for nuffink.
    Oruxmaps
    Lookout for those of us that lose phones when left on silent/vibrate!
    Spotify premium for the offline playlists.

On my home screens at the moment, plus a load of others tucked away…

GMail
    Facebook
    Facebook Messenger
    Whatsapp
    Nectar
    My Fitness Pal
    Play Store
    YouTube
    Met Office
    Polaris Office (Excel/Word etc)
    Leveler (a surprisingly accurate spirit level/angle finder)
    Ebay
    Angry Birds Star Wars
    Play Books
    Viz’s Profanisaurus
    Google Maps
    Bandsintown
    ITV Player
    Sky Go
    BBC Media Player
    iPlayer
    Spotify
    Absolute Radio
    Fotor
    Pixlr Express
    Instagram
    AV Forums
    Flickr
    Speed Test
    Football League
    Strava
    Endomondo

dobo
    Free Member

Hmm nobody using dashclock? basically its a screensaver widget for when your phones on charge, it can show time, date, weather, sun rise/set, music playing etc via extensions

mxplayer for video
    shuttle for music
    hootsuite – twitter
    google calendar, keep, gtasks, chrome, gmail, google keyboard with swype
    dropbox, dropsync, keepassdroid synced to pc
    screebl beta – stops screen locking out when reading, put it down and it locks!
    some other useful stuff
    android weather, feedly, pocket, wol wake on lan, subsonic, upnplay, strava

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Dashclock’s a good lockscreen replacement.

PowerAmp
    MXplayer
    AOSP Browser

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

the built in google widgets/apps are all good, google maps, nav, drive

banks & utility companies often do an app – usually worth using

swiftkey
    goweather
    whatsapp
    facebook/twitter/etc
    gtasks & gnotes (front ends to google task lists)
    quickpic
    strava
    ebay
    a torch

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

oh, and keepass2droid

rhbrhb
    Free Member

catch notes
    convertpad

both useful apps

My new favourite – Cloud app. Locates nearby Cloud hotspots and automatically logs you in

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘New to Android, what Apps are actually worth having?’ is closed to new replies.