New telly – what would you do?

Home Forum Chat Forum New telly – what would you do?

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • New telly – what would you do?
  • johnners

How big a screen, what resolution you’re going to watch, how far away you’re going to be summed up here –

If you’re going to be able to appreciate Full HD you’ll have to go bigger than you might think. See the bit at the bottom of this page.

johnners

Not sure I totally buy all that BTW, to appreciate 1080p on my 37″ TV the calculator suggests I need to be no more than 5ft away!

I prefer Panasonic, both me and a friend bought 42″ LED’s about 9 months ago within a week of each other similar price range. The Panasonic I bought has a much better picture than his Samsung. Settings fiddled with according to forums etc… He agreed the Panasonic was a better picture and the case seemed better made.

That graph seems to sit you very close to the TV unless I’m reading it wrong

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

My brother in law bought a 47″ LG 3D SmartTV before Xmas. It’s nice, but the picture had a strange “layered’ effect. Everyone noticed it. And the 3D was awful. His room is large enough, but it just looked odd. Not sure if it had some daft mode to make normal programs look 3D but I wasn’t impressed.

Premier Icon 2unfit2ride
    Subscriber

I have always preferred plasma to LCD, the picture, especially with sport, is so much more realistic, but LCD is catching up. I have a 5yo 42″ Panasonic plasma that I sit 7′ away from & a nearly new 47″ Sony that I sit about 10′ from in a different room. I’m thinking I need a bigger TV in my ‘den’ which currently houses the smaller plasma & this looks like an unbelievable bargain when I think I paid over £3k for my first 37′ plasma.

Cheers.

unovolo

I’m only saying what I have seen ,I dont go off reviews just what I see with my own eyes when I’m in folks houses.
    As stated the HD pic on some Samsungs is superb but so are the pics on various Panasonics,Sony,LG,Pioneer even the odd Toshiba.
    Samsung do manufacture a lot of panels for other companies but thats only half the story ,the rest depends on how well the electronics governing the screen do the processing.

panasonic plasma if you value picture quality

just get as large a screen as you can afford / sneak past SWMBO

most new ones will be hdmi connections – if you have a lot of devices just save for an av amp too!

Premier Icon itsallgood
    Subscriber

We just bought this from JL at Christmas. Plasma, better value than many of the LCDs, and you get five years cover included. Bargin at £329.

http://www.johnlewis.com/231570054/Product.aspx?s_pccid=pc_rv_200_40000&

If I could justify a new tv at the moment, it would be one of these – Samsung ES8000 – shy of 2 grand for a 55″ though

CountZero

LCD screens still look really artificial to me, in comparison to my plasma which has a nice natural feel to the picture and colours. Maybe it’s just the way tellies are set in the shop though?

Never go by store displays, other than to judge things like jaggies along diagonals, and how black shadows are. It’s really worth looking on something like AVForums for good setup details. I spent several hours in total tweaking my 40″ Sony Bravia, before I was entirely happy with it. Terrific picture, five or so years on, I still really love watching it. It was an £1100 set, reduced to £899 when I bought it, mind…
    I could probably get away with a 42-47″, sat where I am, but 50″ might be pushing it a bit.
    If anyone wants to check out a truly drool-worthy new telly, look for the new LG 55″ OLED set announced at CES; mind-buggeringly thin and pretty pricey.
    At the moment.

mudshark

So I ordered a Panasonic TX-P50UT50B Plasma and just set it up. Only got Freeview on it at the moment and looks fine. Thinking of getting a Youview box now.

Premier Icon the-muffin-man
    Subscriber

If I could justify a new tv at the moment, it would be one of these – Samsung ES8000 – shy of 2 grand for a 55″ though

A friend of mine has just bought one of those – it’s very impressive!

mudshark

50″ is the biggest I wanted as that just fits into an alcove at the end of the room. It was a good deal from JLP at £599.

johndoh

Wait for the 4k sets to come out.

HD 3D is so, like, 2012.

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘New telly – what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.