Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • New T handle allen keys
  • damitamit
    Free Member

Need a 4mm and 5mm T handle allen key.

What’s good?

Currently got a old set of the On-Ones (a few years old), but they’ve twisted.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1/4″ driver a bit like this one and a box of bits.

Also have the park driver which is very handy having the three most useful, bits to hand and comfortable to use

If you really want a couple of proper T handles then I’d go for a nice tool brand like Facom or Britool rather than bike brand/no brand

Northwind

Do you want Ts, or just sort-of-T-shaped? My Draper experts were pretty cheap, and really nice quality (Draper are erratic like that…)

Think you ought to be able to find Teng as individual tools

LoCo
    Free Member

Teng, not too expensive and good quality

d45yth
    Free Member

Teng, not too expensive and good quality

+1 , I have a couple of sets of their normal, long-handled ones…I have other tools that take bits and Y-handled ones that I never use due to accessibility issues! I don’t think you can beat normal allen keys.

Marko

Best by miles:

Unlike most other makes the hex section is not simply bonded into the handle, it’s a one piece construction.

boxfish
    Free Member

I prefer a P-handled hex key to a T-handled hex key.

That is all.

damitamit
    Free Member

Thanks, will check out Teng.

True, my current ones are P handles, with the long end a ball end.

boxfish
    Free Member

Yes, it’s the ball-end that is convenient for those hard to reach hex nuts like Thomson seat clamp bolts.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Superstar t bar set are very good indeed. 2mm – 8mm and also a T25. Recommended.

Frankers
    Free Member

BONDHUS are the best by far

If you want decent Thandle ball drivers try

Britool
    Facom
    Wiha

Try HERE

boxfish
    Free Member

Retails for about £20. Have had a set for years.

majestic

i would second the Draper expert set!

eshershore
    Free Member

P-Handles every time for me 🙂

damitamit
    Free Member

Thanks all. Just ordered a 4mm Teng P handle.

Thou, I want a set of these just for the colours 😉

spuddle
    Free Member

Got the draper set for Xmas year before last, great set

sv

Get different brands, easy to pick up the right one when there is a pile of tools!

LoCo
    Free Member

Get different brands, easy to pick up the right one when there is a pile of tools!

yes, but you’ll end up hating one because it feels horrid, currently dislike my britool 4mm 😳

wrecker
    Free Member

I got an ace set including hex and torx from aldi or lidl for about £7. Got a case and everything.

sv

yes, but you’ll end up hating one because it feels horrid, currently dislike my britool 4mm

Thankfully my 5mm is a Teng and the 4mm a Beta but as you say the 6mm IceToolz isnt loved…

ktmblag
    Free Member

+1 for bondhus

dallas95
    Free Member

If you buy a bike branded set you get a T25 torx as well. Don’t think you do with non-bike brand ones.

pdw
    Free Member

+1 for the Drapers.

-1 for the 3-in-1 Park one. The two bits that you’re not using are always in the way, hitting a bit of frame or wheel or something.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

where are those colourful Wera ones from?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

found some on ebay

orangeboy
    Free Member

Bondus , cheap and the best IMO
    Plus they have a lifetime warranty

sbob
    Free Member

ktmblag – Member

+1 for bondhus

And another.
    All the machinists I’ve ever worked with used Bondhus.

househusband

IIRC Bondhus make tools for Park Tools.

WERA Are very good too, imho.

zerocool

Try Bergen ones. Good price and Teng, Snap On, quality. Bike brand specific ones are going to cost the earth in comparison

scruff
    Free Member

Beta for me.

I love engineer supply shops.

IHN

+ however many we’re up to for Bondhus.

I asked my (now ex-) FIL for a decent set of allen keys for Christmas one year. He’s worked in metal fabrication and engineering for 40 years and he bought Bondhus; that’s recommendation enough for me…

stu1972
    Free Member

+1 Bondhus or Wiha.

I’ve used many brands of hex key in an industrial environment ( so they get far more abuse )
    and can confidently say that you can’t beat Bondhus.

Wiha and Facom would be my second choice followed by Britool and Swiss Tools

Draper / Silverline hex keys get fired straight in the bin. Tat.

freeagent
    Free Member

‘nother vote for Bondhus, however i’ve also got a set of Teng keys, which i’ve not broken yet, and just bought a set of extra long Wera keys which are very nice.

I’d avoid the bike specific stuff (you are paying for the name) and avoid the cheaper Silverline/Draper/supermarket stuff.

I opened a cheap hex-key up like a banana a few years back trying to get a pulley off an alternator, which in turn took a nice slice out of my hand. since then the cheap crap has gone in the bin, and i’ll only use good brands.

Northwind

stu1972 – Member

Draper / Silverline hex keys get fired straight in the bin. Tat.

Thing about these 2 brands is the random factor- some stuff is terrible, some is surprisingly good. So frinstance my Draper Expert p-handles sit happily alongside a bunch of old Brittool, Teng, Snapon and Bondhus stuff. But other bits I’ve had of theirs has been almost useless.

Same with Silverline- on a recommendation I got one of their brashing saws, the handle’s barely attached but it’s got an amazingly good blade on it. It looks like tat but it cuts as well as the Bahco it replaced, and cost £1.99.

So it’s kinda hard to recommend them but I wouldn’t rule them out either

LoCo
    Free Member

Draper expert stuff isn’t bad, unlike their ‘standard’ stuff that can be rather ‘cheesy’ but ok for occasional jobs.

stevie750

another vote for bondhus.

I think that most high end allen keys are made by bondhus and rebadged

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘New T handle allen keys’ is closed to new replies.