Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • New Suzuki Jimny anyone got one?
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m going to have a test drive in one soon and just wondered if anyone had one and could pass on some thoughts ? Thanks

johnnystorm

Only that I’ve seen a Japanese firm that do G-Wagen bodykit and it looks ace.

richmars

check delivery times if you need something soon.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Yes thanks I know they are hard to get hold of. Crazy they aren’t importing in larger numbers.

nuke

Not seen one but, from what ive seen online, i would love one. A good replacement for my aging SX4 and the Jimny is on my final ‘traditional’ car list (ie not electric) and keep for as long as possible

woffle
    Free Member

feedback on the owners club has been positive (but then I guess it would be).

I like them, but I think the prices are somewhat eyewatering but I guess the lack of supply means people are super-keen to pay it.

That said, the residuals are something else; for a car that was £14K new, it amazes me people will still pay £3K for examples from 2001 with some rust and work needed…

(We’ve a Mk1 and I love it)

CountZero

Only that I’ve seen a Japanese firm that do G-Wagen bodykit and it looks ace.

They do a kit that turns it into a Landy Defender, too!

I rather like this Black Bison kit from Wald in Japan:

Potdog
    Free Member

Got a mate at Suzuki UK. Last I spoke to him he said it was sold out for next 2 years. So unless they’ve managed to up production since I saw him in Feb, then don’t expect to get one anytime soon.

mandog

Schmeg150 on YouTube has one.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Yes I’ve saw that Schmeg150 video. I have found one to lease locally but it’s test drive first of course.

oldtennisshoes

Iconic vehicle for sure, but the reviews I’ve seen haven’t been great and the NCAP rating is shocking. An opportunity lost IMHO.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Yes definitely don’t crash in one. 3 stars is poor for a modern vehicle but average for that size and shape of car.

woffle
    Free Member

Iconic vehicle for sure, but the reviews I’ve seen haven’t been great and the NCAP rating is shocking. An opportunity lost IMHO.

Wasn’t it the same with the mk1? Road manners aren’t exactly good, and theres not a lot of room inside, but (rot aside) they’re pretty reliable and it just works as a small, proper 4×4. If the new version does the same in a similar no-frills way, it’ll sell regardless. (As it seems to be doing)

That’s not to say it shouldn’t be better from an NCAP perspective…

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m sure that automatic collision detection will be a bonus offroad…..

And I’m sure that automatic collision detection will be robust enough to withstand submersion.

(Required for a rating higher than ncap 3)

Ncap isn’t fixed. A modern cars ncap of 3 is likely better than a car with ncap of 5 from 2003

regenesis
    Free Member

Plenty for sale already.
    Some are chancing it with prices £3-5k more than list
    Others are genuine sales.
    £16-17k gets one with 2k miles

db

I thought the ncap was crap due to not having collision avoidance and poor for pedestrian impact. Don’t drive like a dick or hit people and you will be fine!

fd3chris
    Free Member

It does show that the structural integrity isn’t all that to be fair.

downhilldave

Yes thanks, here´s mine

Clean, dirty and working. I am retired and live in the mountains in southern Spain and use it off road most days. Love it to bits, very capable offroad. Copes Ok with airport runs but is happier in its intended environment Tbf. Could be a bit better on fuel but the tyres don´t help. It will cruise happily around 140kph but as the reviews suggest it´s a little noisy. I drive with the window open most off the time so its not a problem for me.

RustyNissanPrairie

^that looks great in dark green. I can see Suzuki selling a lot more of these than the previous shape Jimnys especially as it looks like the new Defender is going to be a disappointment. They would fully clean up if they made a LWB 5door as they did briefly with the SJ years ago.

Merak

I saw my first one today, in white. Looked great something of the HJ45 about it I likes it.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

They would fully clean up if they made a LWB 5door as they did briefly with the SJ years ago

[pedant] The lwb SJ was still a 3-door (my dad had one, it actually had a useable boot space behind the rear seats. A revelation after the swb!)[/pedant]

Totally agree though, there’s a market for a Jimny that can seat 4 and have a boot space. I can see why they haven’t though, minimal variation makes for a simple, efficient product range.

I’m not so sure. Unlike certain other 4×4 manufacturers, Suzuki seem to have built what existing owners want, rather than telling customers what they want. Most of the things reviewers are knocking it for are things that existing owners are prepared to sacrifice for off road capability and simplicity.

Nico
    Free Member

Most of the things reviewers are knocking it for are things that existing owners are prepared to sacrifice for off road capability and simplicity.

Maybe, but I think most people buying it are buying it for its style. That’s predominantly why people buy SUVs, new minis, fiat 500s, VW vans – cars in general, really. And why not. Cars all go much faster than you can usually drive them and are comfortable and quiet. If the new Jimny is noisier than most and less smooth then unless you are a rep beating up the motorway network you can put up with that in exchange for a capful of style (depending on your taste of course). I’d have one, but in lime green.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Maybe, but I think most people buying it are buying it for its style

Yeah not their target market.

And people who put body kits on like countzeros post to make it look like something else. Wtf is that all about.

It’s a simple utilitarian vehicle. If you can’t live with its faults for all the benifits that it brings the you probably shouldn’t buy one.

I’d be happier if it had a better tow capacity-but it doesn’t so it’s probably not for me.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I heard they have been limited in how many they are “allowed” to sell.

As said above, sold out for the next 2 years, so don’t expect to be buying one soon.

the-muffin-man

It would be great if it had a diesel engine and could tow a decent amount. There’s a huge gap in the market for a SWB, simple, powerful 4WD. It all seems to be massive crew-cab pick-ups now.

downhilldave

Suzuki have stopped producing diesel vehicles. It doesn’t weigh much so you would be limited to what you can tow.
    My trailer full is around 1700kg and it’ll pull that up a 45 deg slope in one of the local forests in low ratio without much wheelspin.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

My trailer full is around 1700kg and it’ll pull that up a 45 deg slope in one of the local forests in low ratio without much wheelspin.

I really like Jimnys, and they’re very capable off road, but I can’t help but feel this might be stretching it a bit.

If an 1100·kg Jimny were to tow a 1700·kg trailer up a 45­° slope, it would need a friction coefficient of ~2.5 ‘twixt tyre and ground. I want some of those tyres 😉

Nico
    Free Member

I read somewhere that the old model Jimnys were very durable and reliable in their hardtop variants but the open ones were built in Spain for the holiday rental market and are poorly built. No idea where the latest ones are built. In these days of Czech Hyundais and Mexican Hondas we just can’t stereotype like we used to.

woffle
    Free Member

It would be great if it had a diesel engine and could tow a decent amount. There’s a huge gap in the market for a SWB, simple, powerful 4WD. It all seems to be massive crew-cab pick-ups now.

Our neighbour swears by his Ssangyong – not sure of the model but it’s smaller than their 2001 Honda CRV. He runs horse trials and whilst not exactly small, it’s a darn site more compact than most of the trucks the farmers and horsey-set use down our way. I think he had a sponsorship deal with them at one point – he had two of the huge versions (Rexton?) for 4 years and they didn’t miss a beat. Fugly things and the interior finish is functional at best.

Another neighbour bought a new Disco at the same time. We still see the Landrover Recovery Team on their driveway with depressing regulatory.

downhilldave

@kenneth €780 at set at around 12psi
    Also towed a diesel Mondeo estate up the hill to Blanco, tarmac tho.
    First time I tried the slope, no go. Hence the Yokohama’s

regenesis
    Free Member
    thegeneralist
    Free Member

My trailer full is around 1700kg and it’ll pull that up a 45 deg slope in one of the local forests in low ratio without much wheelspin

As above, bollocks. Do you have any idea what 45 degrees actually is.

In skiing terms, 45 degrees is getting on for extreme skiing.
    There are deeply hard rock climbs that are less than 45degrees.

downhilldave

Don’t think I need to be on this forum any more. Go **** yourselves

alpin
    Free Member

He’s flounced. He’s flounced…!

Boom!

Smart looking little motor, Dave.

shifter
    Free Member

Not joined for a fight but, Generalist, I’m intrigued by hard rock climbs less than 45deg. Any examples?

Splash-man
    Free Member

Not joined for a fight but, Generalist, I’m intrigued by hard rock climbs less than 45deg. Any examples?

Think he’s talking about overhangs…..

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Don’t think I need to be on this forum any more. Go **** yourselves

Errrr… Soz. Wasn’t trying to be a dick, I just thought some fact checking was in order.

As I said, Jimnys are brilliant things and I wouldn’t put them down for their off road ability. They’re small and light, so in many cases will go where a bigger land rover etc won’t. If I didn’t need to tow a big trailer regularly, I’d likely consider a Jimny instead of a land rover. Well, an older Jimny anyway – can’t afford a new one!

CountZero

That’s predominantly why people buy SUVs

Not really. It’s a lot to do with an ageing population who no longer desire a car they struggle to get in and out of easily, and have no need to show they’re driving gods. In America, Ford have ceased production of all saloon cars, other than the Mustang, which is now a World Car. My next car will be an SUV, I find getting in and out of most cars to be a real chore, some, like BMW’s I can barely get out of, although that’s as much to do with drivers believing that the seat has to be as low as possible!
    Last week I had to do the arrival inspection on a BMW, not sure of the model, and when I got in to check mileage and fuel, and take photos, I was sat so low I honestly could barely see over the steering wheel, and I’m 6 foot! Getting out was a genuine struggle, it felt like I’d need a permanent passenger just to help drag me out of the bloody car!
    I’m in and out of thirty to forty cars a day, SUV’s are a blessing for me, and a great many others in their late middle age.

footflaps

In skiing terms, 45 degrees is getting on for extreme skiing.

Sections at 45 degrees are pretty typical on an average French black, which is hardly extreme. 78 degrees is the steepest I know I’ve done on a pisted black (Harakiri in Austria) although it can’t be 78 degrees for more than a few metres as it’s not that difficult at all…

shifter
    Free Member

Harakiri is 78%

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘New Suzuki Jimny anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.