Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • New stumpjumper.
  • andybrad

So worth a punt from my 2019 model?

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Link to 2021 model please.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Should be released fairly soon I guess. There was a photo on mtbr. Outwardly not a whole lot different other than it’s now a single pivot with flexing seatstay rather than horst link. So lighter, stiffer, simpler. Presumably it’s got more anti squat for firmer pedalling like the new Epic Evo. The tradeoff being increased pedal kickback. All the flexing stay bikes I’ve ridden have some degree of rebound force from said seatstay straightening back out. More noticeable on some than others.

Sort of funny when the Horst patent expired lots of brands started using that but Specialized goes the other way to single pivot, at least for short to mid travel. The grass is always greener on the other side.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🤐

Details will be released fairly soon, though.

zezaskar
    Free Member

The Stumpjumper trail bike concept really, really needs a lot more anti squat than the current iteration. I’ve had a Stumpy Evo for an year and it was the worst climbing modern bike I ever tried, even a Meta AM 29 had a better climbing platform.
    What’s the point of having a 140mm rear end when it feels so mushy and wallowy.

Pedal kickback tends to be mostly misrepresented. Even bikes with big scary (on paper) 30° something kickbacks, like the current Enduro, ride just fine and the math proves it.

oikeith

The Stumpjumper trail bike concept really, really needs a lot more anti squat than the current iteration.

This, the enduro 2020, Santa Cruz and other frames have shown how higher anti squat improves a bikes pedalling and climbing performance, if they nailed this on the stumpy I’d be tempted to drop down from the Enduro to a stumpy or maybe pick up a short travel stumpy to go alongside my Enduro

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Yeah I’m sure the pedal kickback is fine for bumps while freewheeling down the trail. But just pedalling along tugging back on the pedals can get a bit tiring on some similar designs I’ve ridden. And of course being a single pivot the pedal kickback remains high throughout the travel. Having ridden the Epic Evo I can say it pedals very nicely indeed, nothing like the current Stumpjumper, so the new one should be good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Someone in Germany hit the ‘publish’ button a little early this morning!

Think it’s been pulled down.

Eyes open, chaps…

singlespeedstu

Going to be officially released at 5 PM today I believe.

andybrad

yup.

interested in the headset changes

sharkattack

This looks like the 10 grand+ version

I’m interested in the peasant models.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hope the cheaper models look better.

That has the aesthetics of something from about 2013.

andybrad

new rubber interestingly as well.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Looks like they heard the critics and corrected most of the relevant problems with the past version. Hopefully also reinforced the suspension hardware and bearings, my Evo was falling apart after an year and going through shock bolts. There will be a long time before Specialized takes a penny from me again

SirHC

new rubber interestingly as well.

Hopefully more rubbery and less plasticky!

See that the evo has grown in travel and more sizes, the S3 I had felt tiny. Headtubes also now look to be a bit longer, as 100mm headtubes are daft on the big sizes.

honourablegeorge

chakaping

That has the aesthetics of something from about 2013.

I know it’s super important that everone know you have AXS, but the rainbow cassette looks horrific with the kashima.

cookeaa

There was a photo on mtbr. Outwardly not a whole lot different other than it’s now a single pivot with flexing seatstay rather than horst link

U Wot?

That’s a significant change and doesn’t seem to corelate with Ze Germans picture above. Sure that wasn’t a new Epic or something?

andybrad

that the evo bike.

not as much info in the standard stumpy (if there is at all)

chakaping
    Free Member

I know it’s super important that everone know you have AXS, but the rainbow cassette looks horrific with the kashima.

And the silver Reverb collar is the cherry on top.

andybrad

agree that does look gash

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

U Wot?

That’s a significant change and doesn’t seem to corelate with Ze Germans picture above. Sure that wasn’t a new Epic or something?

I’m guessing the Stumpy Evo still Horst link and the standard model is flexing stay.

Play from 7.04:

https://youtu.be/B1celWf6iMo

eyestwice
    Free Member

It may be 10k but it does appear that you get a water bottle thrown in.

On which basis, I’m sold.

SirHC

Standard stumpy was pictured with a flex stay, will be interesting to see what effect that has on the sensitivity

cookeaa

So the Epic does have flex stays and so far they’ve just teased the idea for some flavour of the stumpy (nobody’s seen one in real life?), but it’s all a bit vague about which version is getting them? Is this a photoshop exercise gone too far?

At a guess I’d assume it to be a shorter travel version (is the Stumpy ST still going to be a thing?) just because there will be a limit to how much you can bend a composite part on purpose, I don’t think I’d chose to buy one.

TBH I think the Specialized range is getting a bit too busy these days, they could actually do with making fewer bikes maybe?…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes.
    As ever, we might not see all models in the UK.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Actually, looks like they’ve only released the Evo today, not the Stumpy itself.

sharkattack

This one is my level. In about 12 months time when the 2022 is announced and there’s 40%off.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I dont see a flex stay on any of the models.

chiefgrooveguru

I have to admit, I like pretty much everything about this. Am curious to see if they’ve increased the anti-squat.

Adjustable geometry is ideal for a bike that rides everything from singletrack to uplift days. Neutral+low for the winter, neutral+high for the summer, slack+high for gnarlier away trips and slack+low for uplifts on those trips.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Guess we’ll have to wait a bit longer for the new standard Stumpy. Don’t think there will be a new ST model, the Epic Evo fills that role. But definitely something to fill the gap between the Epic Evo and Stumpy Evo.

There’s a few details of the photo with a flexing stay that make me think it’s genuine. If it’s a photoshop I’m perfectly okay with egg on my face.

Looks to me like the main pivot has moved up slightly on the Stumpy Evo, indicating more anti squat.

choppersquad
    Free Member

It all looks a little bit busy around the shock area to me but what do I know? I prefer my evo from 2013

chiefgrooveguru

“Looks to me like the main pivot has moved up slightly on the Stumpy Evo, indicating more anti squat.”

It does look a bit higher. Of course with it being a 4 bar, raising the main pivot won’t increase the anti-squat if the rocker link’s seat stay pivot has risen or its frame pivot dropped or the chainstay rear pivot risen, because it’s all about where the lines through the chainstay and rocker pivots project to.

SirHC

Surprised how close its got to the enduro, making a bigger gap to the Stumpy, maybe even pushing it to where the camber used to be, although you are at risk of bumping into the Epic evo.

Intrigued to sling a leg over it, personally would of like to have had those angles with less travel, as after a slack short travel bike to do xc/trail stuff alongside the G1.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

It does look a bit higher. Of course with it being a 4 bar, raising the main pivot won’t increase the anti-squat if the rocker link’s seat stay pivot has risen or its frame pivot dropped or the chainstay rear pivot risen, because it’s all about where the lines through the chainstay and rocker pivots project to.

Yes, quite right. That makes it a bit harder to tell.

Wil from Singlet…I mean Flow MTB says higher anti squat and more rearward axle path, but still doesn’t sound overly impressed by the pedalling.

https://flowmountainbike.com/tests/2021-specialized-stumpjumper-evo-review/

steelbike
    Free Member

Anyone thinking of fitting an aftermarket coil might need to look at the strut/stroke length ratio too, Fox are saying it could void the warranty on their shocks

chakaping
    Free Member

Wil from Singlet…I mean Flow MTB says higher anti squat and more rearward axle path, but still doesn’t sound overly impressed by the pedalling.

His bemoaning the fork not having a lockout is perhaps a hint to unrealistic expectations?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

His bemoaning the fork not having a lockout is perhaps a hint to unrealistic expectations?

Indeed! The Evo is more plummet than winch, ordinary Stumpy is the better climber.

cookeaa

I dunno, a fork with lockout isn’t exactly unheard of these days, and He did also note that the shocks adjustable compression made an appreciable difference when winching.

I have an older (2015) SJ EVO 29, it’s got less travel (and unfashionable angles now), but is also a bit wallowy under power, they’re clearly not bothered about designing this out (back to the old anti-squat questions).
    The three position switch on that old shock basically does the same job, flick it to ‘Climb’ mode and it’s better (certainly not perfect though) so it seems like SBC are still happy to carry on with the same thing on the SJ-Evo models, make a bike that prioritises trail riding and descending, and address it’s shortcomings on climbs with switchable compression…

Fair enough I suppose, if you want a better climbing/pedalling bike they have others in the range, but I guess a fork that matches that ‘just turn up the compression damping if you want to winch’ ethos would actually make logical sense.
    Plus This is a £5k+ bike we’re talking about, fork lockout isn’t really an unrealistic expectation is it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘New stumpjumper.’ is closed to new replies.