Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • New Star Wars film at the cinema, watch in 3D or normal ?
  • centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ve promised to take my nephew to see The Force Awakens and notice it’s available to see in 3D. Is 3D worth bothering with ?

It’s literally decades since I watched a 3D movie and back then it was a pointless gimic, I’m guessing things have moved on ?

Any pointers welcome.

loddrik
    Free Member

Seen it twice, once on 3d and once in 2d. 3d was definitely better. In fact it’s the only film I’ve ever seen where the 3d really enhanced it, Avatar included. Even the wife agreed and she absolutely hates 3d films.

brassneck

I saw it in 3D as it was all I could book early in the release.

Don’t think you’d lose much by going 2D, but it does feel a little more immersive – certainly better than decades old (Space Raiders 3D anyone?) versions.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I think 3D has moved on a lot since Jaws 3D. However, at 44 I also remember getting burned by he hype last time around so have never seen a recent 3D movie myself.
    I just don’t want to watch a movie wearing 3D glasses. I can’t help but think it will distract from the suspension of disbelief.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Cheers cougar, I hadn’t seen that 😳
    Mind you based on that thread I’d be off to see it in 2D, the posts above have me up for the 3D version 😀

mikey74
    Free Member

I saw it in 3D and the best 3D-related bit was when one of the star destroyers was sticking right out of the screen. Other than that, I think I’d rather watch it on a 2D IMAX.

I must add, though that the screen I saw it on was quite small, so probably not the best example.

atlaz
    Free Member

3D was far better than the other films I’ve seen (I’m looking at you Hobbit). It didn’t add much but it certainly didn’t distract so go see 3D if the screen is a decent size.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

If you are taking your nephew,that means (wait for it) you must be his uncle…. And last time I checked, uncles were meant to be cool. 8)

So dont be a a skinflint …. 3D and a massive bucket of popcorn and as much pix n mix as he can fill his face with.

Have fun

matt_outandabout

I wanted to reach out and touch the Star Destroyer in one scene… 3D.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m booked into 3D IMAX for next week, also 3D non-IMAX in same cinema but not sure who’d go for that.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

it didn’t add much but it certainly didn’t distract so go see 3D if the screen is a decent size.

^this. I thought the 3D was quite subtle, but maybe it was actually really really good and therefore it didn’t stand out (as 3D films often – and quite literally – do)

Drac

3D iMax.

I temper the hype of early 3D too it’s been around long before that too but it works way better now. Wearing glasses doesn’t distract from the reality as its no less real.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I found 3D to be a constant distraction, the star destroyer bit was good but only lasted a few seconds, so not worth it for me, 2d all the way!

jimdubleyou

I watched it at the BFI Imax in 3D – I found myself being distracted a couple of times and probably would have preferred 2D.

Will see again in 2D…

mrchrispy

Already seen it in 2D but waiting for the iMax to show it in 2D as I want the MAHOOSIVE screen. generally not a 3D fan but its sounding like it might be worth a pop.

martinhutch

IMax 3D here. Pretty good – quite subtle use of 3D really, not like the old films where stuff was contrived to ‘fly’ towards the viewer.

ocrider

matt_outandabout – Member
    I wanted to reach out and touch the Star Destroyer in one scene… 3D.

I was more impressed with the scene of Rey inside the wreck. My tummy went when she was rappelling!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

If you are taking your nephew,that means (wait for it) you must be his uncle…. And last time I checked, uncles were meant to be cool.

So dont be a a skinflint …. 3D and a massive bucket of popcorn and as much pix n mix as he can fill his face with.

Have fun

Message received and understood 😛

jambalaya
    Free Member

We saw it in iMax 3D and glad we did – all the space battles look good in 3D. Friends we went with had seen Spectre in 3D and thought that was so-so where-as Star Wars they said was much better use of the 3D

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Good man

You’ll love it

It’s EPIC… AWESOME… KILLER …. or whatever your nephew will say 😀

cbike
    Free Member

YES!!!!

lapierrelady

Saw it in 3D and didn’t think it made much difference…but it was midnight and I’d had a bottle of wine. Saw it in 2D and enjoyed it more, partly because I was awake, and because in 2D it is easier to look around the screen, so you can see more detail.
    Either way, it’s an absolute hoot; picked up more jokes in round two that we missed the first time through too much laughter!

timmys

Really, really deserves to be seen on an IMAX, 3D/2D a lot less important but I saw it in 3D and really liked it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The only issue I had with IMAX 3D was that it was sometimes just too clear. A few props were obviously painted wooden props and the gadgetry on the droids just looked 2D painted on with no depth and the complicated engine components of the starfighters looked obviously just a 2D painting. On a normal size 2D cinema screen it might not have been so obvious.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Saw it in 3D as that was the only option in the time slot we had.
    When 3D came out again a few years back I went to see a few 3D films and could never really see much 3D effect going on, so I started avoiding them.

In Star Wars I could actually see the effect in a lot of scenes, but I’m not sure it really added anything and in some cases I think it took me out of the action rather than immersing me in it. Some scenes reminded me of paper cut out animations, or those puppet theatre type things where you create depth by having different layers of scenery behind each other. Certainly doesn’t make anything look more real IMO. Also things at the edges were a bit blurry, although that could just be my fading eyesight I suppose.

So I’d say 2D, but the Cool Uncle point raised above is a good one!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘New Star Wars film at the cinema, watch in 3D or normal ?’ is closed to new replies.