Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • New SS hub or geared hub and conversion kit?
  • guitarhero
    Free Member

I know this has been asked before but…. I’m building a new rear wheel for the Stooge and, although I will be using it single speed for the foreseeable future, I’m considering using a geared hub to give me the option to gear up later as the Stooge has this option available.
    What’s putting me off is the ugly look of the necessary spacers with this option. Is there a more decent looking option?
    The alternative is to just man up and buy a Hope SS trials hub which would give me the option of running up to 6 gears. Anyone done this?

rexated
    Free Member

Hope SS trials hub still needs some spacers. Plus it’s bolt through only I think, and quite heavy. Nice hub otherwise though.
    I think one of the main advantages to a ss hub is that the wheel can be built dishless and therefore supposedly more strong.

trialtech (via tartybikes) used to do some nice carbon spacers if that’s your kind of thing.

Duffer
    Free Member

If you’re building a singlespeed from scratch, it’d be a shame to use adapted 9sp kit… I’d recommend the Hope Trials hub.

Disclaimer: I bought the Hope Trials hub, as it would have been a shame to use adapted 9sp kit when building my singlespeed from scratch!

oldnpastit

A proper single speed rear wheel can be built dishless, and looks nicer.

Having said that, using a regular wheel with a freehub means you can change your gear ratio a lot easier (much easier to switch over sprockets at the back than either changing freewheel or chainrings).

I’m also doubtful that a dishless wheel is any “better” in any useful way. Sure it’s stronger, but wheels are pretty strong things anyway.

oxym0r0n

You can put standard end caps on the hope hub to make it qr. Mine has seen 2 bikes/wheel builds and never missed a beat

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘New SS hub or geared hub and conversion kit?’ is closed to new replies.