Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New Sram Eagle due when?
  • sb
    Free Member

I ask because I’ve always been a XTR guy and recently been really happy with a GX cassette I bought as a temporary fix for a new XD equipped wheelset.

My question is, xo1/xx1 Eagle is already 2 years old, at what point do sram update their range? Out of preference I don’t want to take the plunge only to find out it’s due for replacement in a few months…..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not sure if they did update the 11sp version much at all, think they have made a change on the mech but not sure.

Out of preference I don’t want to take the plunge only to find out it’s due for replacement in a few months…..

Hard to see how that would happen. It works currently, having an updated model number won’t make things incompatible or make your stuff not work 🙂 I’m sure unless they paint the new stuff gold nobody would notice either!!

tomhoward

Next update will be eagle etap I would have thought. As above, 11speed wasn’t updated during its life, only to 12 speed iirc 4-5 years later

vincienup
    Free Member

SRAM 11sp got minor glitch tweaks but otherwise once x0 was launched that was it for x0, next year was GX etc.  It’s a different approach than Shimano and why the two big S’s are quite so far apart right now.  I keep hoping that SRAM will launch a 12sp iteration of the XG1150 full pin as that would seal the deal for me, full pin steel cassette plus X01 at both ends is my 11sp preference.  I think they have realised that making the cheap cassette too good is a killer of bigger sales though.

Caveat, before 11sp SRAM did used to play the Shimano game and continuously relaunch each range so they do have form, but it doesn’t seem to be their current map.

chakaping
    Free Member

I keep hoping that SRAM will launch a 12sp iteration of the XG1150 full pin

I’m waiting for that too… along with 12sp XT kit that will work with it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

along with 12sp XT kit that will work with it.

Christmas 2019 or just 2020?? 😉 They need to come up with the XT freehub standard first

benpinnick

There wont be a full steel version of the GX cassette (I would think). There’s very little cost saving, and a big weight penalty.

Northwind

I expect they’ll do like they did with 11 speed, wait til Shimano look like they might catch up before releasing new products to smite them. That’s not happening soon

fooman

They have just released NX Eagle, this is the new stuff, can’t see them refreshing GX/X0 any time soon.

I’d say ETAP and 1 x 12 speed road next, but maybe 1 – 3 years away.

vincienup
    Free Member

There wont be a full steel version of the GX cassette (I would think). There’s very little cost saving, and a big weight penalty.

This is basically my thinking.  I’m not really expecting it to happen.  I loved the XG1150, for me the trade of weight vs longevity was perfectly acceptable and system weight still compared well with XT.  Looking at the construction I don’t imagine SRAM saved a huge amount over the posher and lighter models although with the Eagle cassette being that much bigger it may be that the weight becomes more critical if the alloy cogs are replaced with steel?

benpinnick

The GX cassette is basically a respaced 1150 with an alloy 50 bolted on the back. That’s probably a common cog across x01 and GX so there’s not really any reason to make a steel one as they’re already making alu ones and they wouldn’t be all that expensive at the quantities they are churning out.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bit of a jump from the £70-odd for the 1150 to £130-odd for the GX 12sp though innit?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well lets see what shimano manage to sell on for as a comparison

vincienup
    Free Member

It’s not really a cost saving I’m hoping for with a 12sp GX full pin, it’s a full set of steel cogs.

From a mfr POV I get that SRAM will see a saving by using a part they already have rather than stamping a steel 50T to pin on instead, but I do suspect the real reason they don’t want to do this is more about the life of the cassette.  I know lots of riders who decided the GX was light enough even if it wasn’t the lightest available cassette simply because of the all-steel goodness…

On cost, the GX 1150 was £70odd when 11sp was the best game in town and it had the sales volumes, but you’re doing well to have much change out of £90 for one now I think. and that’s still discounted from RRP so the cost of the Eagle GX while obviously not cheap isn’t quite the ‘double’ it looks like on the face of the earlier comparison.

I’ll be surprised if 12sp XT when it happens in 2020 or whenever isn’t cheaper than SRAM Eagle at street price once volumes are taken into account.  Until both products are in to play with it’s a redundant comparison really.  It will pretty much put the ‘you need a new freehub’ thing to bed as both systems will need something newer than the old Shimano FH.

Poopscoop

Not relevant really but what the hell…… The later (probably since early Summer?) GX Eagle mech comes with updated jockeys to stop the chain coming off and ripping the cage/ mech to bits. I bought them to retrofit on my mech though I hadn’t had problems with it anyway.👍

Andy

Poopscoop that’s interesting. How do you tell if your mech has the upgraded jockey wheels?

Long time Shimano user here who is starting to consider GX Eagle as a replacement for my XT/Xtr 2 x 10.

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    kelvin

Thanks for the link @jsync.

sb
    Free Member

Sorry phone issues mean I have only just caught up with the replies. Thanks for all the info and knowledge and jsync your link is very interesting as I do love the new xtr mech. I’ve just bought a set of Hunt wheels so I’m not prepared to change my rear hub over so a mix of new Xtr and xo/xx1 looks like the plan.

🍻

Poopscoop

Andy

Poopscoop that’s interesting. How do you tell if your mech has the upgraded jockey wheels?

Long time Shimano user here who is starting to consider GX Eagle as a replacement for my XT/Xtr 2 x 10.

Hiya, the lower (I think it’s the lower…) jockey has a ridge around the circumference just in-board of the teeth that stupid the chain getting wedged between the jockey and the cage.

I’ll see if I can find a pic online…..

Poopscoop

There you go, you can see the raised section on the left jockey mate.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New Sram Eagle due when?’ is closed to new replies.