Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • New Space Chicken – Freeranger
  • luv2ride
    Free Member

If I’m honest, it was probably the stories on PX customer services that helped sway me towards the Arkose X in the end (plus being to get it for only £966!). The X is great on gravel, and tarmac, but I topped out at just over 21mph with the 42t chainset and 11t cog on Sunday, so probably not great for fast paced chaingang rides. But think that’d be the same with any bike with that that combo. I got this for mainly off-road, and i think it excels at that, especially with the mega flared bars. Impressed at how quickly the front turns in as well, a really engaging ride. Going for lighter wheels anyway, so should make it even more sprightly

k1100t
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon ah, yes, obviously it’s time to go home as I canny read…

dudeofdoom

I was looking at the Tideace ones as they’re on ebay, and share the exact geometry. Only difference is I think the aero seatpost? There’s another one (miracle?) that’s visually similar but different.

Ive been running a tideace(3t fakeploro)as my commuter 100 miles a week, Paid £350 on eBay last Christmas for frameset(+£30 duty). I like it.

I’d say the round seatpost on a chicken is better than an aero post, most fake and real 3t niggling issues seem to be around slipping posts.
    (Sortable but old school seat clamps work so well)

paulpalf
    Free Member

The new frame looks like it is a Carbonda CFR-696, which is no bad thing, same as a Vitus Substance and several others.

You can buy direct from Carbonda for about $500US. Custom paint is about $85, decals can be expensive, I was quoted $120 for 5 decals (3 designs).

I was about to buy a 505, had the paint and decals all designed, but I’m now wary of buying without a test ride. I recently did back-to-back test rides on an Opus Horizon (probably an open-mould China frame) and a Giant Revolt Advanced. The Opus was so stiff it rattled my fillings loose, the Giant was super plush. I’ll probably get a Revolt in the new year.

devonboy
    Free Member

Ok,I officially hate you lot.By bringing this bike to my attention you have forced me to lash out on a Cadbury Creme Egg colour Freeranger (can’t abide black or grey bikes)
    The spec seems spot on from max tyre clearance to flat mount brakes,only thing I was unsure of was the SRAM group set,my first experience of this make.

I have been tubeless since 2007 and do a mix of tarmac,rough cycle tracks and mud,so my first thought is Schwalbe G One Bite in 700x38c for general use.

Would welcome suggestions for a tubeless tyre with more aggressive knobs for use off-road eg when I go to Scotland next year.

Ordered yesterday after Christmas meal,got an email today saying it is being built tomorrow (Friday).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Im getting on well with Vittoria Terrano Wets, they do an intermediate and dry version but the wets roll pretty well (well enough that it doesnt bother me that i can only run them on the back of my caadx in the dry.

s1m0n
    Free Member

Has anyone got a Free Ranger yet? Am considering one of these and after some real world reviews.
    Was looking at the Space Chicken, but I’m a short a**e and even the small in that would have probably been slightly too tall – they do an XS on the Free Ranger and looking at geometry seems spot on.
    I am thinking along lines of getting a set of 650B wheels for running offroad and putting some 32mm road tyres on the 700c wheels for winter road rides and commutes.
    Cheers in advance.
    S

devonboy
    Free Member

Ordered mine on Christmas Day and got it on the Saturday.Blown away by how light and responsive it is.Best description is that it combines the best of my previous carbon roubaix with the best of my Ali diverge.

I went tubeless very easily on the fulcrum wheelset.Two layers of tesa tape,two old campag valves and 60ml orange endurance sealant.Schwalbe g one bites 38c went up first time using nothing but a track pump.Other than that I changed the saddle to my usual fabric scoop and fitted a Specialized cg-r seatpost (the one with the elastomer) which I had in the tool cupboard.

The brakes originally squealed but this has reduced as they bed in.If it comes back I will replace the pads with Swissstop

I went by on ones sizing which was fine leg wise but as usual I needed a shorter 90mm stem to get my perfect bike fit.

Can’t find anything wrong with it and for the price amazing.

PS has to be cadbury creme egg colour!

s1m0n
    Free Member

Devonboy, good to hear.
    How do you find it on the road? Does it feel sprightly enough to cope with long winter road rides (obviously would put road tyres on)?
    I need to shift a couple of old bikes first before pushing the button – not sure which colour to go for though, sometimes I like the creme egg look, other times I’m not so sure!
    Thanks for the info.
    S

devonboy
    Free Member

I am not a fast road cyclist but think the 1×11 gears would restrict top speed for those so inclined.The Fulcrum wheels are definitely tubeless ready and could be used with something like Schwalbe pro one tyres run tubeless at which point it would fly.

I have mainly been using it on tarmac and gravel/mud cycle paths so far on which it is excellent.I have been most impressed by its acceleration and its bump absorption both of which are better than the aluminium Diverge which was its predecessor.I have added the Specialized cg-r seatpost which also helps.

Can’t fault it so far.I was worried that being a Chinese carbon frame (carbonda 696) that it might feel “dead” but it feels the opposite and a bit of research suggests that they are one of the better chinese manufacturers.

Hope that helps

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I am not a fast road cyclist but think the 1×11 gears would restrict top speed for those so inclined.

I wouldn’t be so bothered by the top gear as the chain line.

My road bikes top gear is 50-13, I’m always off the front on descents because I’m a big kid, and I can’t spin it to the point of inefficiency except on really steep gradients. Even descending Pishill in a chaingang going flat out it’s fine. The only time it spins out are those descents where it’s woooooshhhh and you’re at the bottom. Which admittedly is a lot of the the southern part of the UK,

50-13 is half a tooth off 42-11 (it’s about 49.6-13), And that’s not including the extra diameter of 28-32mm or larger tyres.

Bigger advantage in terms of mud clearance though. But then I usually find that bad mud will clog whatever gap you give it, it either clears itself from the tread, or it doesn’t.

Northwind

That colourscheme is glorious

Daffy

Northwind

Subscriber
    That colourscheme is glorious

It’s really not. A bike is for life, not just for Easter.

lwarrenride

Little optimistic, but I don’t suppose you also have a screenshot of the ‘size & specs’ from back then too do you? I’m having a little dispute about how the recommended sizes seemingly changed overnight without record…

devonboy
    Free Member

I bought my Freeranger on their original recommendation which was size large for 6ft person and this was spot on for me.Since then they have changed their recommendation one size down ie they now would have me on a medium which would be one size too small.

Here’s the thing,on the advice of my LBS I was previously on Specialized Roubaix and Diverge in size large (58cm) but on stack and reach the Freeranger is smaller and nearer to a 56cm Specialized medium,so beware the On One suggested size.

I am past the first 500 miles now and the Freeranger is brilliant,can’t fault it.Fits me like a glove and handles well,very comfortable on rough surfaces (but I have added a CG-R seatpost with elastomer).Not sure about SRAM double tap gears and think I would prefer the Shimano equivalent.I have changed the pads to Swissstop as I could not stop the originals squealing.

dudeofdoom

Not sure about SRAM double tap gears and think I would prefer the Shimano equivalent

If you ever get the chance to snaffle some ‘cheap’ di2 stuff I reckon an xt rear on this would be cream egg heaven going by my commuter setup.

nopunk
    Free Member

The sizing makes no sense now and contradicts the guidance for the Space Chicken. No way at 6ft would I ride a 54cm.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not sure about SRAM double tap gears and think I would prefer the Shimano equivalent.

I’ve got one of each on two bikes. I hated the SRAM initially, but once you’re used to it it’s actually quite intuitive.

I tend to find I accidentally get the shifting wrong on the shimano bike i’ve had for 15 years than the SRAM one I’ve had only recently when swapping between them.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

I had my reservations about double taps as well, but that disappeared very quickly.

And no wobbly break lever feeling anymore. For that one thing only I can completely forget about Shimano STIs…

Cheers!
    I.

PS

BTW, any real life experience with actual rear and front end capacity on 700c rim?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And no wobbly break lever feeling anymore. For that one thing only I can completely forget about Shimano STIs…

See, I find with the SRAM shifters I ride around with my fingers floating on the shift lever, I pull it back, away from the brake and just rest my fingers on it while climbing so that it’s to hand if i want to shift (not really a conscious thing). Find myself trying to do it with shimano and really missing it!

I fancy a Campagnolo gravel bike just to complete the set.

lwarrenride

Glad to know I’m not completely imagining things and that it has changed (seeing as that’s been point blank denied their end). Also glad you’re enjoying yours! At a smidge over 6’1″ the XL I bought it pretty damn big, looks cool in the creme egg, just really tall. Would have liked a large ideally…

devonboy
    Free Member

You are correct that it has changed.When I ordered mine on Christmas Day the recommended sizing was large for 5ft10” to 6ft 2”,I am in the middle at 6ft.I have subsequently checked stack and reach and again this places me on a large rather than the medium they would now suggest.

I would politely ask to them to change the bike for the next size down,their advice is now wrong in my opinion.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Glad to know I’m not completely imagining things and that it has changed (seeing as that’s been point blank denied their end). Also glad you’re enjoying yours! At a smidge over 6’1″ the XL I bought it pretty damn big, looks cool in the creme egg, just really tall. Would have liked a large ideally…

I dunno, at >6ft1 I would have said you were comfortably into ~58cm frame sizing. I’m 6ft and borderline look a bit ‘folded up’ on my 56cm bikes (not a freeranger).

Maybe just try a 90mm stem with more drop?

I would have thought sizing issues (especially once you’ve ridden it) wouldn’t be grounds to swap it. Sizing’s a matter of personal preference anyway. One 6ft1 person will like one size, and another a different one. It’s only a “guide” after all.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just in case there is someone here not on the PX e-mail system, EGGCITED10 gives 10% off Freeranger, makes the cheapest build (Rival1) £1169 + p&p.

The “3 for 2” offer has also come back on clothings (inc. shoes) and bags, but my god, it’s a clucking nightmare trying to add multiples of three items where you get the cheapest one free!

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks, NOTG. Great PSA. The thing that’s always put me off buying one is not being able to option 650b wheels at the buying stage, which is strange for a bike that’s touted as being 650b ready.

ta11pau1

There’s a 650b option for the rival and force builds on the site.

timberjack
    Free Member

I am 6 foot and was wary of buying the medium frame which was advised so I got in touch with them and they said it was the right size.I got the bike on Monday and it feels right. Really loving it now that I have got the creaking stopped 😁

honeybadgerx

Considering pushing the button on one of these (frame only), how are people finding the sizing? I’m bang on 6ft and ‘normally’ proportioned. Sizing chart says medium but can’t help think it’ll be too small? Would be looking to run a 80-90mm stem and some 44cm spank flared bars.

Daffy

I’ve got the Carbonda 696 which is identical to the Freeranger. I’m 5’11 with a 32” inseam and am generally proportioned and am riding a 56cm or a large in OO sizing. Even the large is quite short in the TT compared to the Niner it replaced, so I’m not sure how they can recommend a medium.

honeybadgerx

Cheers! Was thinking a large would be right. Now just to decide on the colour…

streakybacon
    Free Member

Also confused by the sizing chart. The medium seems small. I am 6ft exactly and 32in leg. Did you buy a large Free Ranger in the end? Keen to know how you found it. I have tried contacting Planet X twice and they don’t return my emails…

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘New Space Chicken – Freeranger’ is closed to new replies.