Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • New Space Chicken – Freeranger
  • luv2ride

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOFRFOR1700/on-one-free-ranger-sram-force1-gravel-bike
    Looks to have just gone live for pre-orders. Massive tyre clearance over tge original SC by looks of it. Typical, given I’d just ordered a new gravel bike as reckon I may well have gone for this, but had thought they were still several months out. Not sure of the red/blue colourway, but the framesets look to be available in a brown/orange, though no pics as yet…

damascus

Purple red and yellow 🤮

stumpy_m4

Colours and design of paint scheme are shocking ! … eye bleach needed !

Markie

I love the look of the brown and orange one – and the idea of chonky clearance. I’d seen the Open Up and like the idea but not the price. Think the FR is perfect.

However, only one new bike is coming into our house, and Mrs M liked the look of the space chicken and decided she didn’t want or need the clearance, so that’s the way we’ve rolled!

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

So (on the XL size anyway) 0.5 slacker HA, 10mm longer ETT, 0.5 steeper seat tube, 20mm longer seat tube, 5mm shorter reach, and 20mm longer wheelbase.

Free ranger on the left, Space chicken on the right.

As a space chicken owner, the biggest change for me would be the tyre clearance, with 650b 47mm there’s not much room for mud. I’ll be fittings some 650b 47mm WTB Sendero tyres at the weekend so might be even closer.

Should have been called Cadbury’s Creme Egg with that livery. 😆

plus one

I love that creme egg livery 🙂

fooman

New model – I guess that’s why they are offering £300 off the old model (in Apex spec only)

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Not sure I could cope with that colour scheme! Other than that, looks like a nice bike.

jb89

Any feedback/things to caution on the old space chicken? I was going to go for a tempest (until price went up!), but reduced space chicken might be too good to refuse – unless any general issues.

Colour-scheme looks like it was dreamed up by a web-developer from the past. I think I like it.

I found this on AskJeeves

Hmm, codes not valid except they should be until midnight.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

I paid £1400 not that long ago for a 650b space chicken with Force 1, so the current prices aren’t great.

New Bike Day – gravel AND On-One/Planet-X content!

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

i used to have one of those raleigh mustangs! it was my first proper mtb

ahh the days

faustus

OOh, looks interesting that. Love the tyre clearance to make it an XC 29er, just what I want! I’d be after a frameset if they do one. BRANT – are framesets going to be available seperately? I am intrigued by the brown and orange colour, will it look like a 70s school hall curtain?

The new Sonder Camino Al isn’t far off this though, with 700c x 50mm clearance. and a nice grey colour, and reasonably slack.

mrb123

Is there a pic of the brown and orange one somewhere?

5STARCHICKEN code now works, Rival 1 original Space Chicken for £1200.

Premier Icon sillyoldman
    Subscriber

Why so short and ugly?

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Love the cream egg paint job! Maybe they should do a marmite one next time?

k1100t

@faustus framesets are there, and ready for shipping

faustus

Ah yes, thanks! Ready for shipping…when they arrive on the 10th! I do think £800 is a bit steep, considering the prices the space chicken has gone for, even when it’s not for sale.

It’s an interesting bike, but I compared the geo numbers of my old Arkose, new Camino, and the Freeranger (all XL) and it is shorter and more upright than both. Not necessarily a bad thing, but depends what you want, and i’m figuring out whether more tyre clearance is better off-road than a slightly slacker and longer bike with slightly less tyre clearance. I suspect the latter…

luv2ride

I’d thought about a new Sonder Camino, but ended up buying an Arkose X (nabbed for £966 in an Evans sale / work rewards scheme combo). Full Rival 1x hydro, 47mm tubeless Byeways, lots of mounting points and lots of tyre clearance…collecting tomorrow. Bought to replace a 2015 Arkose which struggled with tight fork clearances using 40mm tubeless 700c Nano’s (came up at 43mm). Would have loved a Space Chicken but decided i didnt want to skimp on clearance this time around. Plus, struggle to get past using a carbon frame for a rough’n’ tumble an adventure bike (i know, luddite!)

plus one

Space chicken is an excellent bike 🙂

This looks same but takes bigger rubber ! Win win

milfordvet

I’ve been waiting for this. I was expecting a CutThroat but this isn’t. Why are they teasing out the tyre size so slowly? It’s painfull to watch.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Has it lost the dropper post routing?

luv2ride

Looks like will take a front derailleur this time too…

Premier Icon molgrips

Same as a Salsa Cutthroat but cheaper and not as good. Still like it though.

nopunk

27.5 seatpost according to the options.

longsider

Recently got The Space Chicken Rival 1…. Could have saved £200 if I’d waited a month, such is life. Love my chicken, just out of curiosity with those who understand geometry on bikes how is the free ranger different in terms of how it will ride.

Subscriber

Looks a smidgen slacker and more upright.

Geometry is a funny thing, I have 2 cross bikes, ones a degree steeper than the other but with a 10mm longer stem/shorter TT, barley notice it. Its possibly slightly more stable, but neither is really that different.

New one is taller, but thats as much about fit than anything, plenty of people would have had 30mm of headset top cap, spacers etc.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

The internal routing ports have been improved/changed too I see.

On the chicken the cables rattle about as there’s no way of pulling them taught (zipties or a wrap of tape works) so it’s nice this has been changed.

luv2ride

1x Rival Free Ranger down to a touch under £1,170 today with a 10% discount code. Crazy price…New pictures on the PX site too, looking nice in reasonably restrained black and red…

This is apparently the clearance with a 700x40mm tyre:

Subscriber

This is apparently the clearance with a 700x40mm tyre:

What’s the chainstay like though, most (road) bikes have masses of seat stay clearance but struggle to squeeze a stay between the chainset and the tyre as the chainline is narrower than an MTB. I think GRX is wider but not mby much, I’m surprised there hasn’t been a move to a ‘boost’ spacing, most cranks these days could comfortably move the chainring 5mm outboard with a bit of a design tweek.

My other thought would be, what’s the clearance like width and height wise?

A 650bx2.1 is the same size as a 700×38 (or thereabouts), which is what the 3T exploro will take, the limitation is the chainstay length/seatube, obviously needs 2.1″ width clearance at the full diameter.

Saying 650bx47 and 700×40 doesn’t really mean much, you wouldn’t fit 650×25 into a 700×23 frame?

I’m sort of tempted by the knock-off 3T’s from China. But for some reason gravel bikes make me nervous despite having Chinese forks on another bike. I think it’s because I kinda expect to take a gravel/CX bike past it’s design limits, whereas an MTB I’d expect the designer to assume it’ll get ridden into stuff.

I’m tempted as a replacement for my CAADX (which in turn could be retired to winter clubrun duty), but I think it’s probably only incrementally better, whereas I sort of know what i want to improve (I want a 650bx2.1 CX bike)

Premier Icon w00dster
    Subscriber

Luv2Ride, What is the 10% code?

luv2ride

Code: VIPBIKE, offer ends midnight. Finding it difficult not to wish I’d waited before getting my Arkose X a few weeks ago, but also fear the ‘snap’ of a far eastern carbon frame when out in the wilds. The Arkose X on 650b wheels is great though….

k1100t

@luv2ride is that the Carbomania frames…? Thought long and hard about one of those, then bought a NS Bikes RAG+, most likely for the same reasons…

Premier Icon w00dster
    Subscriber

was looking at the Arkose X in Evans last week, does look nice.
    I’m a bit of a weight weenie, liking the look and weight of the Free Ranger. I could use the Free Ranger for winter club rides (with different wheels/tyres).

I don’t think I could use the Arkose for fast club rides, even putting slicks on I think it would be a struggle.

Rustychain

I was really interested in the Space Chicken, especially with today’s discount code, but prefer a Shimano drive train. I’ve also had bad experiences with Planet X’s customer care.

I’ve just checked and the Arkose range is discounted at the moment. I’m now very tempted with a D3 or the X….

Subscriber

EDIT: I stand corrected, or maybe it was a typo on the site when I read it, 700*50 clearance is seriously tempting. Presumably that means a 650b XC tyre is infact viable? I like my 700*38/40 CX tyres but want something bouncier for bikepacking. So this is definitely going on the list as a new frame for next winter.

@luv2ride is that the Carbomania frames…? Thought long and hard about one of those, then bought a NS Bikes RAG+, most likely for the same reasons…

Are you talking to me or luv2ride? (I don’t think they’ve mentioned them). I was looking at the Tideace ones as they’re on ebay, and share the exact geometry. Only difference is I think the aero seatpost? There’s another one (miracle?) that’s visually similar but different.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.