Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New smuggler frame or hightower CC frame?
  • nt80085

So after 2 years of riding a 2017 Transition Smuggler (alloy frame) I’m considering swapping the frame for a new carbon smuggler frameset with reduced offset fork (£3k) or a hightower CC frameset (£2.3k) and using my current Pike fork increasing travel to 140 or 150mm. I have a set of 29″ and 27.5″+ wheels hence why I’m considering the Hightower. I would also like to lighten the bike a touch and improve climbing, the smuggler is fun but feels heavy hence why Im considering a swap to a carbon frameset. I ride a mix of singletrack and xc on Exmoor, typical rides 20 to 40+ miles.

I cant decide whether its worth spending the cash on the hightower with geometry which is v similar to my current smuggler (now considered dated?) or investing more and having the new smuggler with the latest geo. I cannot test ride a HT which doesnt exactly help.

Or should I just invest the cash in a new bike and sell my old one? First world problem and all that!

pigyn
    Free Member

27.5+ fits the new Smuggler Carbon great, I have test fitted my Rekon 2.8 on 40mm rim and there is bags of clearance all round. BB drop is in line with loads of other 29/27+ bikes as well so pedal strikes shouldn’t be a major issue. Nothing to stop you running it 150mm front or using an extended lower headset cup either if you did want to boost the BB.

Also, depending on your frame size there are still a few carbon smuggler frames left from 2018, and some decent bundles to be done on the fork to go with it.
    My girlfriend totally loves hers, and it has made her a visibily faster rider as well.

2018 Transition Smuggler Carbon Frame

nt80085

Great feedback, thanks v much, how do you find the rear tyre clearance when running 29er wheels? I usually run a hans dampf 2.35.

transition1
    Free Member

I love the Smuggler also have a 2017 alloy. Thought about replacing with Carbon Smuggler too, a Medium Carbon is only 300g lighter than a Large 2017 Alloy Smuggler so large for large maybe 200g. Another frame to consider the new Ibis Ripley similar geo to Smuggler but much lighter & 7 year frame warranty. Can be run with 120 to 140mm forks too. I think lighter wheels & faster lighter tyres will make a big difference with current Smuggler

nt80085

Thanks Transition 1, was thinking along the same lines in getting a lighter wheel set before I looked into frames, I currently run hope enduros at 2.1kg, not exactly light so scope to improve the feel of the existing bike. Only thing is I didn’t particularly want to buy a new wheel set with a 142 hub. I Will look into the ripley – cheers.

pigyn
    Free Member

She is running 2.35 new style HDs and we live in Scotland so it gets muddy, clearance is tight but fine, no wear or paint damage.

A nice set of Hunt Trail Wide wheels with that frameset would save 400g 🙂

nt80085

Did you go for the reduced offset fork? The latest smug comes with a fox 36 which seems a bit burly.

chakaping
    Free Member

Consider other brands, you probably won’t get what you’re after with just a change in frame material.

Isn’t the SC being updated soon too?

pigyn
    Free Member

Yes she is using a reduced offset Fox 34, I run that shop up there but have little control over what she rides except suggesting bikes and helping with spec. She went from an OG Smuggler alu like you, and the bike did come out lighter, and as I said she absolutely loves the geo. Boost conversion kit for the wheels and a new set of forks.
    The best value reduced offset 140mm forks are the DVO Sapphire 34s, 140mm max travel, volume/rebound/high+low speed compression adjustment and 44mm offset.
    I think a bundle with a 2018 Smuggler carbon frame come out at about £2700-2799. Ish. On a train so just guessing.

Del

i’d look at lighter rims and i assume you’re running tubeless?

SirHC

Or save a chunk of money and spend a bit of money dropping weigh on the smuggler you have?

I had a 2015 Smuggler, brilliant bike, had it 18months and covered 3000 miles on it. For some odd reason I decided to sell it and buy a hardtail (scout 290), which I never really liked, I had a crash on it, sold it.
    Bought a trek fuel ex, never really got on with it. Now back on a 2017 smuggler, took it to Bringewood at the weekend and its a rocketship, trails arn’t steep, but tight in places and flat out in others.

Is a new bike going to be any better? Smuggler is a very capable bike and if I was you would be staying put and demo a few bikes before dropping a load of cash.

Mine is 31 lbs, Lyriks, Cane Creek shock (massive improvement over the monarch)
    Smuggler

nt80085

Thanks for the posts, the smuggler is a great bike and I had thought of making some cheaper mods to my current build to make it better on the ups. Current bike is 14.7kg (cheapo luggage scales) with pedals with a 42 cassette and 32T chainring, good for fitness but tiring on a long ride! I have a new 46 cassette and chain to go on which will instantly give me more flexibility on the long rides. Like someone suggested prob better spending £350 on some Hunt XC Wheels to drop some rotating weight first and see how it goes.

daver27
    Free Member

In a cheap shot, i just put my XL hightower frame up for sale…

Honestly one of the most versatile bikes ive owned and the only one that has been utterly faultless bar the original shock.
    Works better in 29″ mode with 150 forks in my experience, i’ve tried 29″ 650+, 140, 150 and 160 forks in all settings and 29″, low geo setting and 150 forks is mega.
    gets ridden all over the place, 30+ mile xc rides or short fun blasts, it does it all without fault.

Can’t comment on the Transition other than they don’t look as well finished as the Hightower from what i’ve seen up close.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ll echo the comments on the Hightower. Ran mine as 29er with 150mm fork and it’s probably the only bike I regret selling.

It originally came with 27+ wheels. They were fun, but slower rolling (noticable above 20mph ish).

It is due an update, but I wouldn’t worry about “out of date geo” as it all a matter of preference anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cane Creek shock (massive improvement over the monarch)

Yes I had a CCDB air on mine for the last five rides before I sold it (you didn’t buy my frame off eBay did you?). Was amazing with that shock, offset bushings and a -1 deg slackset.

Got the CCDB air to sell if anyone fancies a nearly new bargain for their Smuggler?

Vortexracing

Carbon tubeless wheels made a massive difference to my smuggler

nt80085

Vortex, which wheels and spec did you go for? Any idea of weight?

Vortexracing

I went for light bicycle rims (25mm I think?) and pro 4 hubs (both 32 spokes)

I also run High roller 3c EXO on the front 2.35 and a 2.25 Ardent EXO on the back.

Sorry I don’t know the weight, but I was comparing them to the Hope Enduro set I had, the Carbon ones make a massive difference to the bike. So much easier to pedal and maintain momentum. 🙂

nt80085

Awesome many thanks, and also to those that have replied to.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New smuggler frame or hightower CC frame?’ is closed to new replies.