Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New skis time…
  • davetrave
    Free Member

Hands up anybody who’s got a set of Whitedot R.98 – looking at pulling the trigger on a pair, to be fitted with Dynafit Beast 14s… What do you think of them?

Spin
    Free Member

Do you really need Beasts?

davetrave
    Free Member

Care to expand on that comment…?

Otherwise, I already have a pair of touring skis with pin bindings and don’t fancy having to either buy another pair of boots or continually swap soles on my current pair. There’s also the consideration that I intend on using the skis to access areas away from the piste and so will use them in a (limited) touring capacity..

Spin
    Free Member

I know a few folks who’ve been looking at Beasts but when they honestly appraised their skiing style realised they were overkill. Have you had a good look at kingpins?

Edit- just read the 2nd part of your post. If you have other touring skis fair enough.

sweaman2
    Free Member

As Spin implies – The beast is a big binding so unless you’re skiing with high DIN’s then why not the Radical or similar? It think (based on google) that the Whitedot R.98 is a touring ski “built to be light on the way up” so it might be overkill unless you’ve got specific requirements in mind.

Edit: It seems we’re editing all over the place 😀
    If it’s mostly inbounds then I’d for something with a more stable release at the back like the Kingpin. What boots are you running? I’m not a good skier but when I do try to use my touring kit in a resort I notice the boots (Scarpa Maestrale) far more than the bindings / skis (Dynafit Verticals on G3 Saints)

davetrave
    Free Member

Salomon Quest Pro 110. The Beast 16 is a big binding, the 14 less so, although clearly heavier than my current Vipecs or the Radical. But…

Whilst the K2 Waybacks I use all over at the moment are a good ski, they’re too light for the descent on anything that’s hard packed and/or on groomed pistes and/or icy, either not gripping or getting deflected or chattery. The general reviews I’ve read are that the r.98 is quite stiff and heavier in comparison so fitting them, with a Beast, seems to be quite a popular choice for people wanting something for a bit of all-mountain, bit of lift assisted, bit of short touring or “Freeride Touring”…

I’ll try not to edit this one now… 😆

davetrave
    Free Member

So I’ll do another post…

Ref the Kingpins, compared to the Beast, the reviews don’t seem to be so great. In no small part based on the rotation that the Beasts have in the toe when locked out, making them feel much more like alpine bindings.

Anyway, we’re digressing!

Anybody have a set of the r.98s…?!

Edukator
    Free Member

hard packed and/or on groomed pistes and/or icy, either not gripping or getting deflected or chattery.

I suggest some Head FIS Slalom skis for that. Or slow down a bit.

dashed
    Free Member

Speak to Jon at The Piste Office – knows the white dots well and will give you an unbiased view. Plus he might have some of the beasts still available at the crazy summer prices that were being offered – £225 I think. That’s £125 worth of reasons to buy them over the Radicals. Assuming your boots will take the power inserts…

I think there’s a good review of Beasts vs Kingpins on snowheads forum atm. Beasts for the win.

Although the other option to consider is quiverkiller both sets of skis and use your existing bindings – save a good chunk of cash…

davetrave
    Free Member

hard packed and/or on groomed pistes and/or icy, either not gripping or getting deflected or chattery.
    I suggest some Head FIS Slalom skis for that. Or slow down a bit.

Yeah, I don’t think a set of slalom skis would work that well off-piste or for the up… And while I do have a reputation for speed, that’s not what causes the issues – they’re good skis, just very heavily biased to touring. Everybody’s after one single do-it-all ski, but of course, that doesn’t exist so two pairs, to cater towards the kind of skiing I do, is the solution and if I wanted some big, long, skinny race skis I could borrow those from work.

Edukator
    Free Member

Yeah, I don’t think a set of slalom skis would work that well off-piste

They are better than my touring skis for just about everything off-piste, but several times the weight and have unsuitable bindings. Try some off-piste and get back to me. They’re even a delight in powder, old-school up to the knees and easy to turn.

Edit: slalom skis are 165cm (unless you’re female)

alexxx
    Free Member

How big are the tours you’re going on?

davetrave
    Free Member

Edit: slalom skis are 165cm (unless you’re female)

My bad, mistook you as referencing GS/Super G skis, rather than slalom slalom…

How big are the tours you’re going on?

I have Wayback 88s with Vipecs for multi-day or lots of vertical. The plan for the r.98/Beast combo is lift assisted access and that kind of thing.

tragically1969
    Free Member

The Whitedot stuff looks nice but I think they seem expensive, I have a pair of Dynastar Cham 97 with marker tours on for that sort of stuff, then same as you Waybacks with Vipecs

alexxx
    Free Member

Hmm personally I’d be going for a heavier ski if it was just for topping up an extra couple of hundred meters / traversing from a lift but I like a solid ski for charging more and taking a bit of abuse. Might as well save the cash if you’ve got a lighter setup for bigger days.

K2 Marksman or something is what I’d be looking at for a playful heavier ski.

davetrave
    Free Member

The Whitedot stuff looks nice but I think they seem expensive

Agreed, but not as much as Black Crows and not as shouty “Look at me, I’m way too cool for you”.

Got hold of a set now from Jon at The Piste Office – slight blemish so about 30 odd % off, plus he’s knocking out the Beasts for £225. Happy days…

dashed
    Free Member

davetrave – Member

Got hold of a set now from Jon at The Piste Office – slight blemish so about 30 odd % off, plus he’s knocking out the Beasts for £225. Happy days…

You’re welcome 8)

mahalo

anyone chucking out old skis, like really old. fancy making a bench or a shelf out of some…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New skis time…’ is closed to new replies.