Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New singlespeed frame: Honzo, Chameleon or something else?
  • iamtheresurrection

I recently went back to singlespeed (converted my Trek Stache) and I’m really enjoying it again.

The Stache is really short though. It was never a problem, but compared to my Smuggler and Decoy it feels a bit alien when I jump on it.

I want sliding dropouts not an EBB, would like to spend no more than £700 on the frame and want something a bit longer and slacker than the Stache.

I think the Honzo is probably about right, but have always liked the Chameleon too. 2020 Pace 529 (or whatever the number is) an outside choice.

Anything else I’m obviously missing?

Thanks.

Clink

New 2020 Kona Unit? Geo more modern this year.

Clink

^ having said that I found the ebb on my Stooge to be the least trouble free chain tensioning method by far.

iamtheresurrection

Do they sell a frame only, Clink?

iamtheresurrection

Stooge. Completely forgot about them.

Clink

Do they sell a frame only, Clink?

Unfortunately not in the UK, no (I tried with my local dealer and Kona).

Clink

Pipedream Moxie
    Stanton Sherpa (and others)

Rubber_Buccaneer

I want sliding dropouts not an EBB,

in STW fashion may I ignore what you want and say just buy the frame you like best and stick a chain tensioner on it?  My experience of single speed and gearbox bikes has led me to the conclusion that spring loaded tensioners are a whole lot less hassle than regularly tensioning a chain.  Unless you are not intending to go off road in which case maybe form over function is OK

iamtheresurrection

It’s the opposite in my case, it’s a winter bike for really muddy routes and the less the chain has to go through the better. Had a tensioner before and I might as well just had a mech and gears (edit: slight exaggeration). Thanks though 😉

The Moxie is more bike than I need, but it looks good, hadn’t seen that one. Sherpa (lovely) a bit short…

Rubber_Buccaneer

Thanks though

Then please tell me what chains you are using that don’t require constant tensioning in those conditions? Serious question as I’ve gone full circle on this over the last couple of years and it could be that I’ve used whatever chain I had in the spares box

iamtheresurrection

Just the usual really. Normally KMC k710 but I’ve used PC1 before with no problems (even though most hate them).

I might be significantly weaker than you…

noltae
    Free Member

I too was sceptical pertaining to EBBs but after getting my Stooge I don’t think I’d want a SS frame without one – Trouble free and I like being able to play with BB height – Which is useful if swapping between 29er and 27.5 .

Rubber_Buccaneer

I might be significantly weaker than you…

I doubt it, more likely different mud or me expecting a single speed to be less maintenance than it really is

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New singlespeed frame: Honzo, Chameleon or something else?’ is closed to new replies.