New singlespeed chain grinding noise problem

Home Forum Bike Forum New singlespeed chain grinding noise problem

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New singlespeed chain grinding noise problem
  • Premier Icon StefMcDef
    Subscriber

Have recently gone singlespeed on my Salsa Selma 29er, and fitted a new singlespeed cog/spacer kit on the rear wheel, and a new chain, a singlespeed-specific KMC Z610HX. It’s 3/32 so should be the right size.

However, having taken it for a test ride round the block, there is a horrible grinding noise coming from, I think, front chainring, which is an old 34T middle ring one, which I previously used as part of my Alfine set-up.

The chain line is as straight as a die as far as I can see. The tension, adjusted via the EBB, is such that you pinch the chain with your fingers and there is just a small amount of slack in it.

Is the grinding noise something that will settle down over time or do I need a singlespeed specific front chainring? or is there some other elementary D’uh! thing that I have neglected to do?

Thanks in advance for any advice…

ormondroyd

My KMC chain was noisy for a bit and settled down, after 40 miles or so if I recall correctly

ormondroyd

Was noisy when I was hoiking out of the saddle, mostly. I took it out in some Chilterns mud to punish it and it soon got the message.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Try chain tension with cranks in a variety of positions – rings can be way out of true. Could be tight in one place.

Premier Icon StefMcDef
    Subscriber

^^

What do you mean exactly, wwaswas? If I was adjusting the tension using the EBB, does it make a difference if the cranks are at, say, 12 o’clock as opposed to 9 o’clock in relation to it?

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

new chain, old worn ring – I reckon it’ll grumble til your chain wears to better fit the ring

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

It can do – the chainring can be off centre and cause the chain to be too tight at various points but fine elsewhere.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

What scaredypants said.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

I know a thing or two about old, worn rings 😐

(actually, your worn middle ring is also more likely to ship the chain than a “proper” ss one, as well as prematurely wearing the chain – on-one are doing 33t steel rings for 15 quid currently)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New singlespeed chain grinding noise problem’ is closed to new replies.