Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • New Shorts – Recommendations Please
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Need some new shorts. Wear bibs so don’t mind if I they don’t come with a liner.

Recommend away please!

binners

Anything by Sombrio. Bestest shorts by miles. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

on offer at CRC at the moment which is the only time you can buy them as the normal list price is bonkers. £140 for a pair of shorts 😯

svalgis
    Free Member

Very happy with my new Singletrack shorts. Way better than the previous generation 3/4’s they replaced. Magnetic pockets and everything, like.

BillOddie

Dakine or Sombrio!

labsey
    Free Member

Endura Humvee Lites. Wear them everyday for the commute, removable liner. Showerproof too.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I have a pair of Enduras. They are great, but looking for something a bit different.

Have some Pearl Izumis which are excellent too. There’s some magic in them meaning they’re waterproof and breathable. Unfortunately, weight loss means I cannot wear them anymore. Wish I’d worn them more when I was bigger because they’re great!

eyerideit
    Free Member

I just ordered these

and these

last night.

Not in to the whole baggy flappy thing, especially with my stick legs.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Sombrio for me, but I only buy them in the sales!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Thinking about these:

I love the colour, but the location of the pockets seems like I’d not use them. Anyone have these? They’re Troy Lee Designs ones. Can’t go wrong for the price hopefully?

oli82
    Free Member

Is the fit small on Sombrio? I’m normally a 31/32 – is the small going to be tiny?

binners

Curse you curiousyellow!!! Just bought another set of Sombrio shorts now! It seemed rude not too at that price!!!

Oli – I take a large in Sombrio and I’m a 34″. I’d go for a medium

Gotama
    Free Member

Those TLD ones ^^ Good shorts but the velcro waist things come undone in the wash and the hook side pulls all your riding tops + other halfs delicate clothing which is in there as well 🙁

butterbean
    Free Member

The Sombrio Highline shorts are good, the cut is a little tight on them unless you have little chicken legs though. The waist is about average, I use a medium on them (small 33″).

The TLD Skyline shorts are also very good, nice & lightweight. Can’t comment on the pockets, as I never use them anyway. They are a slim fit also so you won’t want to fill them with crap.

Raceface Indy shorts are also great.

hatter

Sugoi Gustovs or Pearl Izumi launch kickers for me, I’d say the liner and Pad is a touch better on the Sugois but the outershort on the Pearls is a better cut and generally better thought out regarding pockets etc.

Both are ace though, proper comfy.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@binners haha! I am afraid to look at my bank account after my bearing change on the bike turned into a full drivetrain upgrade. Seemed rude not to while the chainset was off, so consider yourself lucky!

Cheers for the info on the Skyline shorts guys. I’m away on a trip somewhere warm so I’ll need a couple of pairs of shorts. Finding myself drawn to these ones now. Is white a mistake?

People seem to really like the Sombrios. Interesting. And yes, I do have chicken legs 🙁

chrisdw
    Free Member

In reference to a recent PSA

These (Scott Mind) have got to be some of the best I have worn. Not sure if anywhere is still selling them cheap, but they are fantastic.

Nice light material; cut is nigh on perfect although erring slightly on the baggy side.

Prior to these my favourite shorts were 2012 Endura Singletracks which are still my go to short for crap weather without going full-on waterproof.

Trekster

Too good to be true?

How to Scott shorts size up? Can’t see a size chart. I am sometime L, sometimes XL and too big for Sombrio!

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m about fan of Sombrio shorts, but I have chicken legs so its nice not to have shorts flapping about. Mine are m favourite shorts, so they get worn all of the time.

White shorts are a bad idea….they look cool in Cali, not so good covered in shite in the peaks.

eyerideit
    Free Member

How to Scott shorts size up? Can’t see a size chart. I am sometime L, sometimes XL and too big for Sombrio!

Large only

druff
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Highline and the Highline II shorts – it’s not clear from the listings on CRC.

Ta

somafunk

I recently ordered some Sugoi Hans shorts from sportspursuit for the very cheap price of £35 but i mistakenly ordered a large rathar than a medium – if anyone on here wants them they’re yours for £35 +£3.00 postage otherwise i’m gonna send then back, bloody good shorts and excellent liner, i’m most peeved i ordered the wrong size.

Same as these below and they still have all the tags on as i’ve not even bothered to try them on as i’m on the border between a small/medium in sugoi kit.

Sugoi Hans – £62

Sugoi Hans

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@eyerideit did you get a liner with the Sombrios?

@butterbean how do you find the Velcro fly on the TLDs?

eyerideit
    Free Member

curiousyellow: I bought the versions without liners. I usually wear bib shorts underneath do didn’t need any.

The link binners put up is for the versions with liners, they’re £25 more.

Binners link

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Cheers. Ordered the TLD Aces from Wiggle. May order the Sombrios as a backup.

Sizing has gone really wacky these days. By conventional measurements (waist, above belly button and narrowest point) I am a 33. However, all my jeans are 30s. Tailored trousers are 28s. I don’t know whom to believe!

A bit funny to think according to my trouser measurements I’m an extra small for Sombrios!

wl
    Free Member

Bought 3 pairs of Sombrio Badass for £23 each, in sensible colours even, about 6 or 7 years ago. Worn them loads for every type of riding, all year round, and they’re still going.

eyerideit
    Free Member

@curiousyellow Don’t order the XS I’m a 28″/30″ waist in everything I wear and got the Sombrios today.

I Ordered XS going off their size chart and they come up quite small. I can do them up but they’re really snug (ie no room for cake expansion). So I’m returning them and have ordered the smalls which are 30″-32″.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

With bibs on as well? That must be snug!

Cheers for the advice. Really appreciate it.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

TLD ACEs just turned up. Includes a liner as well but has a velcro fly, which I’m not too sure about, but the green is nice and lairy!

It’s just about right in a 30″ fit for me. The proof will be in the riding though. Let’s see what happens once the bike’s back.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘New Shorts – Recommendations Please’ is closed to new replies.