Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 218 total)
  • NEW SCANDAL 29ER
  • scud
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

The On One website doesn’t seem to actually give a lot of info on the new frame to be released on 30th apart from a photo (which looks lovely) and that it shares same geometry as the old one (which i currently ride) and when I called the guy that answered didn’t seem to know either.

The seat tube has obviously been curved for better tyre clearance and i know that the headtube is now tapered, but:

– Anyone know what size seatpost it is to take?

– Being new to tapered forks, is the headset completely internal, or can i run, top cap of my current 1 1/8 external Hope headset and just buy lower cap and crown race from Hope?

– Is anyone planning on running it with 120mm fork, especially as On One are flogging 120mm travel Reba’s with the tapered steerer for a bargain £299? Do you think that this will raise BB height and front end too much?

I look forward to tapping into the infinite wisdom that is the STW forum…..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Think you can lower the Reba’s to 100mm with a spacer kit.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I have pre-ordered one as a winter bike.

I have one of the OO Rebas on my other bike and believe the travel can be adjusted some how (with a spacer possibly maybe i think). Planning on running Scandal rigid.

It is a nice fork though and a bargain at £299, only downside was that mine came with bogging red graphics which were removed.

Can not really help on any of the other info, i beleive it is an external headset but am not 100% and i am waiting to find out about the seatpost myself in case i need to buy a new one.

Andy

Paul the rebas can be lowered to 100/80. Those Rebas do look a bargain. Think the key on-one people are on their way out to Taiwan at the moment.

(“Scud” – no idea if it will actually launch, or where it will land, but usually does with devastatingly random results – a truly apt user name!! 😀 )

brant
    Free Member

post is 31.6mm

headset is 44mm upper, 49.6mm lower.

i am in taichung and am going to bed now

Shandy
    Free Member

I emailed them the same questions on frame specs earlier, I will post up if they reply. I dunno about your headset but the Rebas can be spaced down to 100mm for the Scandal.

They would definitely be getting more pre-orders if they had specs and pictures of the colour options and graphics on the website.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I bought a set of the Rebas from on-one and they came with the spacers to lower the travel in the box

scud
    Free Member

Thanks all,

Brant – sweet dreams, I do admit that it is a lovely looking bike, but the On One staff, although lovely are selling a product that they don’t seem to have much info on, the guy at On One told me that it was a 27.2mm seatpost and had no idea whether running it at 120mm would affect the warranty.

The forks do come with the spacers, but not being a racer, I would like to run the fork at 120mm if it doesn’t mess up the handling to much?

By the way Hi Andy (the nickname Scud actually comes from when I used to be a chef and we had a newspaper cutting from the Gulf War, saying “Scuds make a real mess” and that’s what i was known for in the kitchen)

Shandy
    Free Member

I have an email back saying to check the site in 1-2 weeks.

scud
    Free Member

If you pre-order now, have they said when actually delivery will be?

Shandy
    Free Member

No, the email just said the shipment was imminent so I presume there won’t be photos until the frames come out of the container.

brant
    Free Member

the On One staff, although lovely are selling a product that they don’t seem to have much info on, the guy at On One told me that it was a 27.2mm seatpost and had no idea whether running it at 120mm would affect the warranty.

it is not one of my designs but info should have been conveyed to staff better. well… conveyed to staff!

120mm doesn’t affect warranty as warranty is for manufacturing defects. which aren’t affected by fork length if you see what mean

post is 31.6 not 27.2

i can only type with one hand as my shoulder is in a sling

i have asked for page to be updated

as for “more” preorders… yes, i am sure we could, but they are selling incredibly fast in all but the green, so expect to see them sold out very soon.

before they land

really off to bed now

have just rubbed sore shoulder with ointment. not sure if it is tiger balm, vick or something else. will see in morning.

night night

brant
    Free Member

If you pre-order now, have they said when actually delivery will be?

1-2nd dec to you we hope

scud
    Free Member

Thanks for replies, Brant you’ve answered my queries. Just wanted a few things straightened before i spent my hard-earned.

I can sympathise, spent 3 months in a sling typing one handed in a job where i do nothing but type,

I’ll bug you no further, sleep well.

Andy

scud ygm btw…

tk46hal
    Free Member

I think all the questions have been answered! I’m off to Rotherham for a raw finish frame! 😀
    Shame I’ve got to buy a bigger seatpost! 😕

brant
    Free Member

Can’t sleep. Jet lag ugh.

Bazz

Well seeing as your not sleeping perhaps you could confirm for me that it will also use the On-one smoothie mixer headset, and that a 31.6 seatpost on an alloy frame means a 34.9 seatclamp. Thanks, and have a hot milky drink 😉

takisawa2

120mm feels like a lot more on my 29er Inbred. Will be lowered when they go off for a service soon.

brant
    Free Member

Well seeing as your not sleeping perhaps you could confirm for me that it will also use the On-one smoothie mixer headset, and that a 31.6 seatpost on an alloy frame means a 34.9 seatclamp. Thanks, and have a hot milky drink

yes to all

bampot
    Free Member

The seatpost is 31.6mm??? Bastards! Just preordered my frame and a new 31.8 seatpost clamp… Hopefully I’ve got an old shim and seat clamp in a drawer somewhere…

Amazing how nobody at On-One knows anything about the frames (thanks for the headset sizing info off Shedfire, Brant! – Sleep well :D). Looking at Brant’s “production sample” it looks like they’ve reverted to exposed cables/cable stops, but the site still brags “continuous cable routing to keep things running when it’s gritty” Even the graphics/colours are apparently a complete mystery. How did they order the frames? “Just stick some stickers on when you’re done, be good if they said On-One or something similar, any design or colour will do….”.

Love the product (this’ll make three in the shed…), but the organisation/management seems to be getting worse (let’s not talk about the promises of the Carbon Race/Lurcher/Ti29er..).

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I wish I had snapped up one of those carbon 456 and XT kits they did briefly for an insane 499…

robbo
    Free Member

I quite like the suspense created ny the lack of info and pics. I think its called guerilla marketing! I’ve got a black anodized on order and can’t wait for Friday when I can start getting the rest of the kit. Patience is a virtue…

robbo
    Free Member

One more question. Post or IS brake mounts?

scud
    Free Member

Just ordered the raw finish frame after Brant thankfully was good to answer my questions.

I must admit that it is a bit different ordering a frame not knowing what graphics or other bits actually look like, but I’ve owned a few different On One frames and they tend to be great value for what they are. Can’t wait to see what the finished product will look like. It is a shame that they seem happy to take your money via the pre- order system yet the person that answered the “technical helpline” didn’t know the answers to anything I asked him

tk46hal
    Free Member

Scud,

Let us know your thoughts on the raw frame/finish etc before I jump in as well! 😉

scud
    Free Member

I should hopefully get it for the weekend, so will post up some pics. Feels a bit
    Like Xmas not being sure what it is going to be in the parcel.

This is where we all find out that the graphics are some hideous graffiti pattern or have flowers all over ’em!

chainslapp
    Free Member

Scud, I had the same issue when I noticed all the sizing info had changed on the web site and no one could offer an explanation. They said the only one that knew was Brant.

scud
    Free Member

I hadn’t noticed the sizing had changed? I was an 18″ on old Scandal frame so guess it couldn’t have changed to much. Are the smoothie headsets any good? Or am I best going for my usual Hope one?

tk46hal
    Free Member

SLAPPER,

GET TO WORK!

STATO
    Free Member

Where are you lot getting geo info from? the only page i can find with info on the new frame is this one… and theres not much info here.

brant
    Free Member

geometry unchanged inspire of curvy seat tube

gear cables now open under bb

bampot
    Free Member

This is where we all find out that the graphics are some hideous graffiti pattern or have flowers all over ’em!

😀

SCUD: Now you’ve got me scared…Wouldn’t put it past On-One though..

But if you post up pics it’ll ruin my surprise – mine’s going to be at least a week getting to Oz 😥

I’m mixing/matching two halves of a nukeproof headset (already have the half that fits the top, just needed a larger lower). Got lucky last night and found a 31.8 to 27.2 seatpost shim down the back of the shed. The ti seatpost lives to fight another day!

Bazz

Has anyone received notifacation of their’s being dispatched yet?

scud
    Free Member

Having spoken to On One they said that they should be dispatched on monday 5th when I spoke to the yesterday, this may have changed though.

druidh
    Free Member

From the On One site…

Scandal 29ers with Swapouts – Like Brant’s sample one (SuperRaw) as well as regular Black Ano and Green Painted versions. All sizes. HERE (must remember to write some words for that today.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Here as in “on UK shores in some customs holding area” or here as in “in our hands and ready to send out to customers” I wonder?

Bazz

On One they said that they should be dispatched on monday 5th

Shame, i was looking forward to a weekend of bike building in the garage.

cvilla

I can see the sizes on the on-one web site, but is there anywhere or anyone with info on geometry?
    What are brake mounts? what is BB? sorry always more questions….
    Cheers

druidh
    Free Member

Wheels have arrived. A frame would be nice.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 218 total)

The topic ‘NEW SCANDAL 29ER’ is closed to new replies.