• This topic has 40 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • New Santa Cruz CX bike!
  • ben98
    Free Member

I don’t know if this has been announced or if anyone knows about it, but while out walking the dog today I came across 4 guys with a drone filming 2 riders on what looked to be new Santa Cruz CX bikes. I can’t say anything about it for certain, but they looked like out and out carbon race bikes with clearance for no more than 35c ish tires. The 2 bikes were blue and orange. If this is old news then ignore me, but I couldn’t find anything about it on google.

scotroutes

Discs?

MSP

I would have thought santa cruz would launch a cross bike as more of a “dusty gravel road” racer in the US first, unless they were sitting the downhill boys on it for the promo.

However, being a bit of a santa cruz fanboy, if they are doing a cross bike, HURRY UP AND TAKE MY MONEY DAM YOU!

amplebrew

They used to make the Stigmata cyclo cross bike.

rOcKeTdOg

Hopefully it’ll be better than their road bike

ben98
    Free Member

Oh I forgot, yes it had discs and the riders were American and had “enduro” style helmets on. It could well be a gravel type bike, as they were climbing up a snowy track, but I don’t really know, should have tried for some pictures.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

you can see it on the google maps factory tour, in the warehouse somewhere

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en/us/google-factory-tour

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Turner have made a cross bike – perhaps it is the new thing over there?

Houns

Any pictures? Can’t get factory tour to work

al

One of the riders wasn’t Steve Peat was it? HE was out filing with Cut Media yesterday with a drone, according to his instagram.

benji
    Free Member

Hope this is true, will make a nice stable mate to my Niner RLT.

ratherbeintobago

Apparently cross is huge in some parts of the States. Can’t find any info on the Turner bike apart from some photos of the prototype early five years ago, though…

Gotama
    Free Member
    chipps

And there’s a film to go with it on the main story too now – did you not spot it was Steve Peat, Ben? 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Orange as

Houns

Better in black

finbar
    Free Member

Looks to be inspired by the Crux’s paintjobsorry, colorway.

mrblobby
    Free Member

HURRY UP AND TAKE MY MONEY DAM YOU!

They’re going to want a lot of it I suspect!

At least with SC build kits they spec decent stuff you’d probably have if you did it yourself and doesn’t seem to be based on what they can get cheap OEM.

Still a nice looking CX bike for the MTB crowd.

scotroutes

TBH, despite my anticipation I’m not taken with it. Something about tube profiles and that seat/down/top tube junction.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ORANGE FFS

scotroutes

Might look better in the black colourway.

Houns

All the info is on SC website

scotroutes

Still looks pants. Ah well.

AlexSimon

£1999 for frame and fork is a lot.
    Basically you can get any CX frame and fork on the planet for that, so you’d have to really like this one a lot.

I think it looks nice (I like the Orange, but maybe not the yellow with it), but I’ve got more important things to spend 2k on.

AlexSimon

Question – if the brakes are hydraulic, then what are the adjustment barrels for on the hoses? Or are they connectamajiggy things?

iainc

They are connectors. I have them on my Croix de Fer with the new Shimano hydraulics.

IdleJon

mrblobby – Member

A nice little insult hidden in there? 😆

STATO
    Free Member

Its for the US market isnt it. The sort of people taking up CX in the US have a lot more disposable income than your typical ‘what UK roadies do in winter’ approach.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

2k ain’t a surprise when the highball carbon is similarly priced

ben98
    Free Member

Alas I didn’t see Steve Pete, seem to have missed him 2 or 3 times now :'(

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Looks like a generic Chinese jobby.

Looks a bit Giant at the back.

johnnystorm

I’ll take it in orange exactly as the one one posted above with CX1. 😀

AlexSimon

Those Sram hydro levers are really ugly though.

jobro
    Free Member

Any links to that TurnerGuy? Can’t find anything.

Dave Turner is a self confessed ‘cross nut so I suspect if Turner do a X bike it will be X race orientated rather than the longer slacker gravel bikes.

As a newish Turner fan boy (I love my Czar) I’d be interested in one. Hopefully it wont be quite as fugly as the santa Cruz.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d like to see a side on shot before I make my mind up.

Can’t see it selling well here, mebbies in the US but not here and not in Europe either. As for target audience, would an MTB’er really buy a CX’er form a Brand he has already? Or are they more choosy in that they seek out the best for the money they’d want to spend??
    Do folks really just walk into Stif and go “like the colour, it fits me, I’ll take it, charge my card” ? or are SC seekers more discerning?

But hey, CX’er is a growing market, great bikes to Hack on when you fancy a change or if you are into it they kind of take you back to the days of Old Skool XC with the simplicity.. IMO’bvs.

Can see the Orange working, looks kinda good but what does it really look like in daylight.. ?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Do folks really just walk into Stif and go “like the colour, it fits me, I’ll take it, charge my card” ?

😆

benji
    Free Member

Do folks really just walk into Stif and go “like the colour, it fits me, I’ll take it, charge my card” ?

As one of the folks, yes I did that with a Niner RLT, very happy with it. Once I’ve had a save up, I will probably do it again, but it’s going to be a tougher this time Niner BSB or a Santa Cruz Stigmata, what a terrible decision to have to make.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice bikes, and I’d be happy with either (BSB or Stigmata), but two grand for frameset when you consider what else is out there. I guess it’s the boutique brand thing, but even then you can get, for example, a Storck TIX frameset and save yourself 500 quid. You’d have to really want a Niner or a Santa Cruz.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Dave Turner and his wife race Turner CX’s. It’s alu and canti. Last time I asked him he said there were no plans to produce. Maybe that will change.

Interbike 2011: Turner Cyclocross Bike Spy Shots

mrblobby
    Free Member

Some nice detail snaps of the Stigmata over at velonews.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘New Santa Cruz CX bike!’ is closed to new replies.