Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • New saddle needed!
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

Have used my WTB Pure for a while, but on longer rides I am getting a bit of Chaffing! Other than that it is nice and comfortable.

Any recommendations for something similar? Was wondering if those Ergon saddles are any good?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I went from WTB Pure, which I thought was the most comfy seat ever so much so that I had 3, to an ANVL that came on my TR Scout.

I now have 3 x ANVL saddles and can ride further as a result.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I just popped on a SDG Bel Air 2.0, seems decent so far after 3 rides not too padded and nice shape.

zerolight
    Free Member

Fabric Scoop is comfy.

medoramas
    Free Member

I recently bought Specialized Henge Comp. Very comfy, good looking and cheap.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Cant get on with the Scoop, but will have a look at the others!

newworldlobster
    Free Member

Ergon SMC4 is nice n comfy. scoop made me numb and wanting to die

jayx2a
    Free Member

SMC4 looks good – just seeing how it differs from the SMA3!

newworldlobster
    Free Member

cheaper and wider…

zerolight
    Free Member

I’ve got the wider width Specialized Power on my road bike. It’s pretty good too. Not really an MTB saddle though.

boingeyjon
    Free Member

Choosing a saddle is a nightmare – it’s so personal. One that other people swear by might leave you swearing at it. You only really know if a saddle is gonna suit you after you’ve got some decent miles in on it – but I’ve yet to find a shop that will let you take half a dozen away to try and bring them back a month later covered with mud and sweat! For years I wouldn’t sit on anything but an SDG bel-air – but I put one on my road bike to do John O’Groats to Land’s End and after about 4 days it was bloody murder! I’ve still got one on one of my mountain bikes though. I used an Ergon for an all day ride at the weekend. My mate was on an SDG Bel-air 2.0. We both started complaining about sore arses at exactly the same time. Make of that what you will! If you want something for longer rides it would be worth finding a shop that offers saddle fitting – getting the right width of saddle for your sit bones will make a big difference.

akira

Quite like my fizik that, think it’s 29er specific though 😀

bigblackshed

First measure your arse. Then buy a saddle that supposedly fits it. Then try another, etc.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Bell Air 2.0 looks decent enough too.

onehundredthidiot

An Ergon came on my canyon. It’s great. I’d buy another one, although without the carbon rails etc.

The specialized power one on my fs is also great but if it goes it’ll be replaced by an Ergon.

tall_martin

Brooks on my bikes

18 years of a b17 on my most ridden mtb

Sprung Flyer on my road bike that’s been on for 7 years.  the longest Road ride I’ve done my bum was fine where as everything else ached.

I’ve just bought another flyer for my hardball to alleviate an aching back.

I tried a cambrium but didn’t get on with it.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Think I might try one of the Ergons SMC4 or SMA3 – thanks all

jayx2a
    Free Member

So got an SMC4 and took it for a 12 mile blast. Mixed feelings so not 100% sold yet.

The nose longer and a bit thinner than the Pure. I was feeling a bit of numb bum at times, but when I got home I am not feeling any bad effects or sores.

I think the the numbness may have been a lot to do with not having ridden a lot through the winter.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve been searching for a new saddle for a while now. Had an sdg bell air on all my bikes, but as above, comfy but not after 5 days.

I’ve currently got a collection of 6 saddles that have failed the test.

I’ve just put on a charge spoon from merlin, £16. Will be testing it shortly.

jayx2a
    Free Member

I might try the SMA3. Maybe the Gel pads in the SMC4 are a little too much!

jayx2a
    Free Member

Although I do tend to judge things way too quickly! I don’t think 1 ride is enough so will try it again during the week and see how my bottom adjusts!

jayx2a
    Free Member

I’ve been searching for a new saddle for a while now. Had an sdg bell air on all my bikes, but as above, comfy but not after 5 days.

I’ve currently got a collection of 6 saddles that have failed the test.

I’ve just put on a charge spoon from merlin, £16. Will be testing it shortly.

Charge Spoon killed my bottom!! Think the Bel Air is same sort of fit but could be wrong.

Feeling no ill effects of the SMC4 today. The SMA3 was another better option but I think the SMC4 is designed for sitting a lot more. I do a mixture of single track and long climbs and smooth seated flats so maybe it is more suited – need to ride some more!

lunge

Get thee to a local bike shop that does test saddles, Selle Italia, Fizik and Specialized (and I suspect many others) do trial saddles where you pay a deposit and can try as many saddles as you so desire. I did this last time I was looking and it was a great way of trying lots of saddles withing having to buy and sell them.

bikemad
    Free Member

All depends upon what you want to spend Ive tried loads inc Adamo which are quite good despite looking strange.

One day by chance I saw an advert so done some reasearch & paid £160 each for 3 bikes (ok a lot of money) on Selle anatomica these are American not Italian made ! The leather isn’t hard like brooks it’s soft but isn’t padded strange at 1st not what I’d expected,you kind’ve sit in these like a hammock I can do hours & hours without pain,discomfort or funny sores.

Saddles do take time to setup correctly though the SA needed a few tweaks & about 20 miles from new,been leather once you’ve sweated into it it’s slightly slippery ‘new’ finish goes.Far as I’m concerned once found you cannot put a price on comfort,I ride my bikes in both cycling gear & normal trousers or thin shorts the saddles are still as good.

It amazes me how many people spend £100s or £1000s on bikes then put a shitty £20 saddle on 🤔

joemmo
    Free Member

Money spent on a saddle is no indication of comfort though. I’ve had a fancy carbon featherweight Prologo that threatened to neuter me but ended up speccing the basic Fabric scoop on both bikes because it fits my backside.

stevextc
    Free Member

It amazes me how many people spend £100s or £1000s on bikes then put a shitty £20 saddle on

I’m not fussy when it comes to saddles .kinda get a sore arse for a while then get used to it..  though my current “whatever was on sale” is terrible its the first cheap(isn) saddle I found uncomfortable.  It’s barely more comfortable than just sitting on the seat post ..(you get the idea … ) I do have a real slick Fisik something .. came with a bike and its also fine… but I don’t feel inclined to spend more unless its unlikely to get ripped next time me and the bike part company

I’m looking for one that wears well… the only reason I changed the last 2 was they got ripped up when I’ve taken  alternative dismounts (I decided to stop having crashes… they are now alternative dismounts) …

My kid has a £15 saddle … (BMX race saddle with Kevlar sides) which has seen endless crashes and yet wash away the dirt and it comes up looking almost new after 2 yrs..

jayx2a
    Free Member

Just noticed that Ergon have a max weight limit of 200lb (14.2st) which I am over as I’m a chunky bastard lol.

My WTB pure was comfortable but just chaffed a bit as the nose stays quite fat as it gets to the seated part. The rocket is meant to be thinner at that point but everywhere I check both the Pure and Rocket Pro are out of stock.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I recently tried SQLab saddles.

Very very comfy. Unfortunately they don’t enjoy a big lad riding Enduro on them so they both broke…. official word from SQ is that they weren’t designed for that type of riding!

if you’re a bit lighter than me I’d recommend it though!

damascus
    Free Member

Price on a saddle is irrelevant as we are all different shapes and sizes.

I’ve a few friends that will just ride a bike with the saddle it comes with and they are happy. I’ve bought expensive saddles and hated them.

It’s the goldilocks effect, it’s the one that’s just right regardless of the price.

Keva
    Free Member

Charge Spoon killed my bottom!!

for me it’s one of the comfiest saddles I’ve ever used. I now have a Charge Knife on a couple of my bikes which despite the name is also very comfy. Another one I like is the saddle which comes with Whyte bikes. I borrowed a Whyte 901 from the LBS to see what all the fuss was about. I gave it back and said the best thing about it is the saddle, can I buy one, not the bike just  the saddle!?!

teamslug
    Free Member

I’m on a seemingly eternal search for saddle nirvana. I think the mistake I was making was assuming that because I’m a skinny runt I was ok on narrower saddles but measuring my sit bones has me on wide saddles. I’m currently riding a WTB Volt 150mm with the DNA padding which is quite flat and has a definite place to plonk your sitbones, a WTB Rocket 150mm with a bit more of a ‘love channel’ than the volt but quite square edges which seem to dig into the tops of my outer thighs after 4 or 5 hours and my current favourite which I’ve been using on and off for a couple of years a SMP Hell. Not much padding but relies on the fact your weight is distributed via the whole of the pelvic area. Just put it back on a bike and it is the most comfy after a long time on the bike. I’ve ordered a SMC4 comp gel with my topcash back money so we’ll see how that is.

jayx2a
    Free Member

I have been on a WTB pure that was comfy, but the nose just does not thin out enough so was getting chaffing. Went 12 miles on the SMC4 comp Gel and did get numb but no chaffing. Trying it again, then borrowed an SMA3 to try.

WTB saddles seem to be hard to get hold of these days – only place I can find them for sale are the German sites.

jabbi
    Free Member

Just been lucky enough to be gifted a Fabric ALM, very much looks like losing the battle of Biffins Bridge, but is actually the most comfy saddle my butt has had the pleasure of sitting on, basically don’t just choose on looks! I’d never have even contemplated the ALM cos’ it looks like a **** razor!!

jayx2a
    Free Member

So went for another ride on the SMC4 and i really started to feel it on my sit bones. I think it might be too soft if that’s possible!

Put my beat up pure on and was so much better. Maybe I just need to lose weight to avoid the chaffing! Shame no one in the UK seems to stock the pure anymore !!

srshaw
    Free Member

fizik arione for me. I have an mtb fizik which is essentially the same thing.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘New saddle needed!’ is closed to new replies.