• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by nickjb.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New running watch
  • ovoderbars
    Free Member

I’ve been using Forerunner 45 plus which has been great but looking for an upgrade. Been running for about two years now and looking to do some organised races up to marathon distance so the Pace Pro function could be useful (haven’t currently got it)

Not sure I’ll use all of the functions of a Fenix or top end Forerunner although the Fenix 6 models are well reduced now.

I don’t listen to Music running and if I’m heading out for a longer trail run thenI usually take my phone which has OS explorer maps downloaded to it so shouldn’t ever get lost.

Which watch do you think I should be going for?

cp

Forerunner 245 is £150 at Amazon or direct from Garmin – seems to cover most needs for running.

piemonster

Which watch do you think I should be going for?

There’s quite a wide range of features that may or may not be useful on the various options out there. Maybe look around and draw up a list of features you want then shortlist from the based on value/capability.

I’ve a Polar Grit X, which is almost excellent, the only criticism I have is that I have to use Komoot to upload routes. And I’d really rather never use Komoot for anything but that platform seems a bit marmite.

nickjb
    Free Member

The fenix 6 is really good. It’ll no doubt have a load of features you don’t need but probably a load more you will. It’s very customisable as well. If you can find one at a price you like then it’ll do the job nicely. Just need to decide on a size.

minus
    Free Member

Fenix are great but heavy, mine irritates me a bit. The new forerunner 255 is intriguing, multi band gps and running power could be useful.

Flaperon

Look at the cheap Coros running watch. Might do the job (doesn’t have Pace Pro but does have running power. Apples and oranges etc).

The Fenix is good, but more suited to trail running and multi sport where the maps come in useful. If I knew where I was going all the time it would be overkill.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

My Garmin 235 is still doing stellar service after 3 years use 24/7.
    I run everyday and also use it for cycling too.
    When I replace it it will be with another Garmin probably the 245.

surfer
    Free Member

I don’t listen to Music running and if I’m heading out for a longer trail run thenI usually take my phone

I never carry my phone but I do like to listen to podcasts when I run as I mainly run on my own and I wouldnt listen to as much if I wasnt running. I bought the Garmin 245 music for that reason however what I found was that when I created an interval session (I have several set up through the browser interface) it prompted me when my w/up was finishing, when my next interval was and how long recovery left etc. This is incredibly helpful and I wouldnt be without it now.

DrP

multi band gps and running power could be useful.

The recent fenix update now offers this….

DrP

Pieface

Until I needed 24hrs + of battery life I was more than happy with the Forerunners, do everything you need in a nice discreet profile. Have a Fenix 6 now which is very good, but its heavy, and bulky. If I had the money, I’d have a 245 as well, then leave the 6 for when I want Nav / long battery requirements. Although the 245 does have Nav functions, the Fenix has maps built in etc though fiddly to use.

mogrim

Wahoo has offers on their running watch, might be worth a look. As ever, DC Rainmaker is yer man for reliable reviews.

ovoderbars
    Free Member

I bit the bullet and got a Fenix 6s off Amazon for 240 rubs.

Had a good look at the reviews lately and think the maps would be a good function as although I use the OS it would be nice to not take my phone and be non contactable 😁

nickjb
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll regret it. Its a good do-it-all watch. The 6s isn’t crazy size wise either. Does make the maps a bit small though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.