Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • new rotor for road / gravel 6 bolt or centre lock
  • karnali
    Free Member

time has come for new rotors and pads for teh gravel / road bike. Wheels are centre lock hunt but i have the 6 bolt adapters to use 6 bolt rotors if required. IS there any advantage to buying centre lock rotors such as ultegra or xt these seem to be around £45 a pice, lifeline ones on wiggle around 25 or i can get a pair of light weight 6 bolt rotors for £20 for both.

Is there a significant performance in braking for getting the better and is there any real disadvantages to using 6 bolt and adaptors.

ta

Olly
    Free Member

I cant imagine there will be any performance difference.

Circle of steel stop wheel go round and round.

I thought centrelock was a lower profile?
    Depends how ugly the adaptors are? and if they (and the bolt heads) fit past the frame?

Though, fancy (?) Hunt wheels dont deserve bargain basement rotors? surely?

the00
    Free Member

I like the centerlock interface because it makes removing and fitting discs much quicker.

However I have run in to trouble using centerlock rotors. I find they have a habit of becoming a bit loose and developing play on the spline. It’s easy to tighten them up, but they need to have an eye kept on them.

I haven’t had the same trouble using 6 bolt rotors on an adapter. In fact I think this approach has some other advantages…
    Often lighter
    Often cheaper
    Wider choice of rotor
    Easier to find a spare in a hurry, because you can use 6 bolt or centerlock.

So my advice is go 6 bolt.

luket

If a centerlock rotor has a habit of coming loose on the splines, won’t a centerlock adapter do the same thing?

(I have centerlock rotors but it’s early days on them for me and I haven’t tried the adapters)

I did recently find someone else’s 6 bolt rotor loose on the trail and tighten the bolts, but I’ve never had this happen to me.

sillyoldman

Tighten them to recommended (high) torque, they don’t come loose for me.

shermer75
    Free Member

I like the centerlock interface because it makes removing and fitting discs much quicker

This. One bolt instead of 6, sooo much easier

dc1988

A centrelock rotor will look neater than a 6 bolt on an adapter if that’s something you worry about. Otherwise they will perform the same, I prefer the idea of centrelock but the issue is price/availability as it’s not been a widely accepted standard

thols2

What dc1988 said.

intheborders
    Free Member

Beware, not all centre-lock rotors are the same, and neither are the hubs.

I discovered this a few years ago when buying a pair of wheels and the SRAM centre-lock rotors from my older wheels wouldn’t fully tighten on the rear hub. Had to get a Shimano rotor.

AFAIK based on discussions with the wheel supplier it’s because Shimano have never actually published a centre-lock standard…

This and the often lack of availability & cost means I won’t be buying any more centre-lock wheels.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Using an adapter will just add weight. Probably not significant but it will. Centre lock seems to be the standard for road bikes.

plus-one

Interesting that all road bikes running disc are centrelock 🤷‍♂️ I have 6 bolt on one Mtb and centrelock on another. My road bike is centrelock and they all work great.

As mentioned the only minor faff is 6 bolts v one. Which isn’t an issue as you only do it once in a blue moon.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.