Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • new roadie tyres & deals
  • poolman
    Free Member

Please can you recommend some roadie tyres – puncture resistance is high priority. I had a brand new conti 4 season on yesterday & hit a pothole, knackered already on day 1….took 2 holes out of the tyre.

Thinking of the conti race 4000s at merlin at 65 gbp for 2, incl tubes.

Most people on here seem to go for 23 & 25.

Thanks in advance, much appreciated

globalti
    Free Member

Been using Veloflex Open Corsas (2 for £52 from Ribble) for the last year and I will never go back to another tyre. Puncture resistance is no better or worse than the Michelin Pro 3s then 4s I used before but the grip is astounding and the comfort superb. In the wet they are especially impressive thanks to the natural rubber tread and the cross-hatched texture. With latex inners they are even better, the bike feels really “planted” and corners like it’s on rails.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Whatever road tyre you had on there would probably need replacing.
    Conti 4 seasons are generally a very good year round tyre

mrblobby
    Free Member

Something like schwalbe marathons with the puncture strip perhaps?

Or maybe just stick with the 4 seasons, which will ride a lot nicer, and accept you’re going to get unlucky occasionally. First time out on some new GP4000’s I tore a hole in them on a bit of random flint, replaced it and not had any problems in the 12 months or so since.

All depends really, if you want maximum puncture protection then I guess you could run some thick slime tube with some heavy old tyre with a thick tread. It’ll be horrible to ride on though. Or you could, as globalti says, have nice supple rubber with some latex tubes that’ll be a joy to ride on and accept that you may get the occasional problem. Definitely worth it IMO.

lunge

puncture resistance is high priority

Schwalbe Marathon’s, they’re not fast or light but they certainly fit your priority.

The tyres you mention at Merlin as a good choice but they are not a particularly puncture resistant tyre, arguably less so than what you’re currently running.

For a middle ground, I find Vredestein Senso Xtreme’s to be a good option.

poolman
    Free Member

thanks, good ideas, I run marathons on my tourer – a bit heavy but bulletproof.

Globalti – you running 23 & 25 on those?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wiggle doing Vittoria Open Pave 25mm for less than 30 quid each. Get a pair with some latex tubes. You won’t regret it.

lunge

See, I bloody love the Veloflex Masters that I use on my best bike, I prefer them to the Vittoria Open Corse I had on there before but they are not the tyre you want if you’re after if puncture resistance if the priority. They’re light, fast, feel great, look great and are generally a pleasure to ride but a puncture proof tyre they are not.

jimdubleyou

I swapped 4seasons for Hardshells + slimed tubes for the winter (and the rear 4season was knackered)

Horrible to ride on compared to the 4 seasons, but no punctures yet…

globalti
    Free Member

The Veloflex Corsas my son and my buddy and I are using are 23mm and they’re dead comfy but we’re going to buy a pair in 25mm next time just out of interest.

In about a thousand miles I’ve only had a couple of punctures with these, and more would be acceptable in view of the enjoyable ride quality. Mind you this is on country roads not glass-strewn urban roads and cycle paths.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘new roadie tyres & deals’ is closed to new replies.