Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • New road/trainer wheel
  • deejayen
    Free Member

I currently have basic Fulcrum Racing 7’s which seem to be fine. However, I have a turbo trainer tyre fitted, and I’d now like to get out on the road, but would prefer not to have to keep swapping tyres.

So, I’m thinking about buying a new wheel or wheelset.

I’m not sure if I should go for something slightly more expensive, such as Fulcrum Racing 4 or 3 etc. or the basic Powertap wheelset with the DT Swiss R460 rims. But then, I’m not sure if a power meter is worth having (not to mention if I should use it for road or turbo)! I ride/train mainly for fitness, and my riding has been longer distance stuff (audaxes).

scaredypants

Are you talking about a new wheel for using on the trainer? (I’d go v cheap – unless you want power data from your turbo for zwifting or whatever) or a new set for on the road (spend WTF you like, up to about 3 grand I believe)

If you want power for road and trainer, I’d get a pedal-based power meter & then, even if you use different bikes for each, just swap it/them between bikes

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dunno if my choice was ultra reliable tried and tested power tap wheel Vs unreliable and relitively new and ever changing pedal power meter technology

I’d go power tap all day long

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

I’ve been dithering about a power meter for years – a pedal one might be useful because I do have bikes with different sized wheels, but I also have different shoes/cleats/oval chainrings so there’s no perfect system. The pedal systems do seem to play up at times. I’m coming round to thinking the Powertap wheel might be a good option, although it will only fit this one bike I have.

I’ve got a Kurt Kinetic trainer, so I could get their inRide V3 sensor and app which should calibrate itself to give fairly accurate power data on the turbo. I suppose that’s the cheap way to go for now – and maybe even just get rid of the turbo trainer tyre and fit a Conti GP4000S II tyre for the summer, and use it on both the road and the turbo, with fairly frequent replacement to reduce the risk of punctures.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘New road/trainer wheel’ is closed to new replies.