• This topic has 32 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • New road club – mudguards
  • Premier Icon fr0sty
    Free Member

Rode for the first time with a new road club yesterday and I’d say only 3 or 4 of the 10 that rode had any form of guard, with one bloke having a mtb style thing that saved him from getting wet but not the following rider.

Is this common with road club rides or just individual to this club?

I don’t mean to sound like a wuss but if I want to get covered in shite I’ll go out on the mtb thanks…

Premier Icon tanglewood
    Free Member

look at SKF, seem to be the best, work well for me.

Premier Icon jeffm
    Free Member

Some clubs aren’t fussy and some are militant about full guards.
    If you don’t want to get mucky, ride at the front all day.

Premier Icon convert

Winter hacks and guards only used to be ‘the law’ in club rides. Down south the rot set in about a decade ago with too many moneyed posers new riders choosing to ride their best bikes sans guards all year.

Now there are far more tubby middle aged sportive types choosing to join clubs, which is a good thing, but the old skool heritage has been watered down with that. Things like guards don’t seem to be quite so prevalent and road craft has gone out the window in a lot of clubs. Some clubs have strong leadership and have kept to the old traditions and practises but not many from what I see. Which is a shame.

Premier Icon joespencer33
    Free Member

Only a few have them in our club, I personally don’t and just accept it that others don’t. I found it makes little difference when its really wet anyway. Just consider it as motivation to sit on the front more 😀

Premier Icon bigG
    Free Member

Helmets and at least a rear mudguard in inclement weather are the law in our club. You’ll still be allowed to ride without but you’ll be expected to stay at the back on your own with no mates all day.

Premier Icon neilsonwheels
    Free Member

It’s not in the rules for our club but you will get bitched at if you ride without them.

Premier Icon downshep

The guys I ride with midweek have full guards and long flaps (below horizontal) at the rear. Makes a massive difference to how much crud is thrown up onto clothing, face and into eyes. We can all draft each other and take a turn at the front. Had a road bike ride on wet roads this morning with two other guys however, one had Zefal Swan half guards, the other no guards. Couldn’t follow either for fear of being soaked or blinded. Can’t understand why so many people don’t use the things on road, they work so well and also increase average speed.

Premier Icon cynic-al

winter group rider without mudguards = selfish/posing/lazy idiot.

IMO.

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

no one gets sent home, but it is mentioned repeatedly until the rider understands how annoying it is for everyone else and gets mudguards fitted.

Premier Icon iainc

one had Zefal Swan half guards,

, like I said, my SKS ones won’t fit over the 35mm cross tyres 🙂 anyway, I was dry !

Premier Icon downshep

Aye, you were dry Mr C but that rooster tail from your CX tyres was soaking!

Premier Icon steel4real
    Free Member

Yes as convert and others say above.

You’ll be told to get to the back and stay there if you haven’t got mudguards including the flap.

Premier Icon Dales_rider
    Free Member

Bigghggg no no to turn up for clubs CG without them, club rides there are a few without but are usually pointed to the back

Premier Icon mooman
    Free Member

After yesterdays fall. The winter bike (fully mudguarded up) was out of action today.
    As a result I had to take my unmudguarded bike on club run.
    Nobody died as a result of my bike not having mudguards … pheww!

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Free Member

The racers group ride sees pretty much full guards across the group. The more recreational group rides sees hardly any guards. Tend to agree with covert and al.

Don’t like following anyone without guards and so have full guards on my winter bike. Basic consideration for fellow riders IMO.

Premier Icon fr0sty
    Free Member

I forgot to mention I had full guards on, RoadRacer Mk2 (work very well and go well below the rear axle) so whoever was on my wheel was OK, it was me that was eating mud..

I didn’t want to rock the boat by mentioning it there and then but it was poor form in my opinion.

Premier Icon jameso

These days I think the only road-going bike that doesn’t need guards is a race bike that’s used in races.

Premier Icon Blackhound

I blame Strava, mudguards weigh to much and slow you down. Before Strava all serious riders, and me, used mudguards.

Premier Icon Blackflag
    Free Member

But you obviously don’t need mud guards if you ride on your own Jameso.

Premier Icon jameso

But you obviously don’t need mud guards if you ride on your own Jameso.

Sure, not really. I didn’t use them for solo rides for a few years when I first got into road bikes, then I realised 4 or more hours of wet, cold and uncomfortable miles wasn’t being a Giro d’Italia-style hard man, it was just being stubborn or daft ) Since I fitted guards I’ve been a lot more willing to do long rides in any weather. I mainly ride solo on road.

Premier Icon crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

our local club is puritanical about mudguards – driven by one guy who is not even on the committee but shouts loudly and is given credibility as he is in the business (something to do with some mag or other). They must have full guards and a mudflap, he probably measures them and there is a max ground clearance allowed…

For this attitude alone there are a whole bunch of us who wont ride with or join the club (and yes we ride with mudguards).

My winter/commuter sports crud racers 2s year round (just discovered rubbage has worn through the top of the rear, but cant grumble with the miles its done and they are very effective). I’d expect clubs to have it as either a written or unwritten rule, but there are ways of handling it!

Premier Icon TheSanityAssassin

Once the switch to winter bikes has been made then riding without full guards and additional flappage shows selfish ignorance and a distinct lack of consideration and respect for fellow riders. Pulling your tripe out for 4 or 5 hours at a time is uncomfortable enough without being subjected to a constant stream of filthy road-water aswell.

Premier Icon TiRed

Our club does not require guards for club rides. However having tested a set of sks race blade long for the pas two months, I can see no reason not to enforce them. Gritty jet wash and corneal scarring I can do without. I’m not a mudflat zealot, however.

And I converted my winter bike to race at Hillingdon last Saturday in about three minutes. Then back again to ride home. There really is no excuse one, and I’ve joined the committee 😈

Premier Icon rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Totally agree with the above comments. Guards on if out in a group and its shitty weather. No excuse these days with the advent of Crud Racers and SKS Raceblades (that can be fitted on and off in an instant).

Premier Icon rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Oh and if anyone is thinking of buying Guards, go SKS. Their warranty support (Nadia) is superb!

Premier Icon ton
    Free Member

puncture proof tyres and mudguards are the 2 best upgrades for any kind of bike.

8)

Premier Icon iainc

Ok, so with the crappy roads I am quite happy leaving the 35 c conti CX tyres on my cdf. What can I use that’s better for my ride mates than zefal swan. I have P45’s for when I have 32 road tyres on

Premier Icon Haze

Rude not to.

SKS raceblade longs, very impressed given the tight clearance I have to work with.

Premier Icon oldgit
    Free Member

They take seconds to fit/remove. Worst thing is getting wet from a wet road when it’s not raining, or from thawing snow.

Premier Icon OmarLittle
    Free Member

Its the rule in my club – when the clocks go back guards are on until they go forward again. Its enforced but if someone new turns up for the first time and doesnt have them its not like they will be turned away.

Premier Icon Kahurangi

winter group rider without mudguards = selfish/posing/lazy idiot.

Holy Flip. I’m in agreement with Al again. I’d better leave the internet before it happens another time.

mooman – I’d let you off. Just this once, mind.

Premier Icon iainc

Oh well, sounds like I need to swop the CX tyres for my touring ones and put on the SKS p45’s before I am a social outcast 😆

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘New road club – mudguards’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.