Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New Road bike advice
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I am after a new road bike (which I’ll mostly strip down to the F+F) for riding, training and longer tri’s. I currently have a Felt F65 (non oversize aluminium) which is light (1300gm + 400gm F+F) and comfortable. I’m looking for something lighter and comfortable without being flexy. I’m looking at up to £2K spend – seems the only/cheapest way to get these frames without buying S-works.

2014 Specialized look good – it seems most of the Roubaix & Tarmac low end bikes are “SL4” which means they are light, but are there different grades of SL4 (I’ve seen “SL4 pro”, “SL4 race” etc)?

I am veering towards the Roubaix – is it much heavier / flexier than equivalent Tarmac? (I have bad memories of riding a £6K Stork that shook my teeth out after 100m!) Is it going to feel slouchy? It’s 5.5cm higher at the front that my current bike. (which is set 2cm lower than usual, for tri bars)

I can get Specialized cheap, Cannondale and Giant also, but not as cheap.

b45her
    Free Member

have a look on the ribble bike builder, you could spec a pretty awesome custom build for that money.

boblo
    Free Member

Confused.com… So you just really want a fame and forks? Would the CR1 offer suit sir?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Be a devil and go Chinese for the frame and fork.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

As boblo says, there were some mental deals on Scott CR1s just recently.

Paying £2k for a bike just to strip down the parts to sell is a route to madness. You’ll end up with a very expensive frame for what it really is.

dharmstrong
    Free Member

Can you not get a discount on an SL3 s-works roubaix? £2300 is the price from specialized at the moment

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh well at least some folk kind of read the OP 😐

I get staff discount, and Bike to Work on top, on the brands mentioned only. This limits me to a bike, under £2K.

Does anyone have an answer to the OP which isn’t “do something else?

scotroutes

I’d ask someone who worked on a bike shop, maybe a Specialized dealership. Don’t be shy either, ask to speak to a manager or something.

justatheory
    Free Member

I’ve got the £1200 Roubaix, which I believe is the same frame as one a few models up. It’s a really comfortable bike, albeit a bit heavier than the CAAD10 it has replaced.

I swapped the wheels to RS80s straightaway as the DT ones that come with are heavy. The Sora groupset is heavy but it doesn’t miss a beat, really impressed with it and can’t tell the difference in shifting compared to 105 I was running on my old bike.

EDIT: Just to add the headtube is very tall on the Roubaix resulting in quite an upright position. It was such a change to the fairly aggresive geo on the caad that I’ve removed a few spacers. It’s probably equivalent to Tarmac geo now, which kind of defeats the purpose I suppose.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I got a 2 year old Spesh S-Works SL2 Tarmac frame and fork – pretty cheap a few years ago in a sale if that helps

bol

The roubaix sl4 is much close to the Tarmac than previous generations. Stiffer, lower and lighter. A friendly Spesh dealer would probably sell you one of the lower spec’d ones frame only and use the parts for something else.

boblo
    Free Member

You know what Al, I’ve read and reread the OP and I can’t see where it says ‘I must buy this on bike to work’…. You intimated you really wanted f+f and something comfy and good value. Even with staff discount I’d e very surprised if you can buy a CR1 equivalent frame for a net £500. Obviously you can’t do this on bike to work, your newly revealed requirement. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks for the helpful comments.

druid I have done that, ever heard of “canvassing opinions”?

boblo, sorry to shatter your “I know best” self image, but I said what brands I could get cheap, and what I wanted. Of course this isn’t enough for many who can only answer the question they have the answer for. I can get a £1800 Specialized for £500. Where are these £500 Scotts?

Have you guys ever considered what you might achieve if you did something focused and positive with all this energy?

boblo
    Free Member

Have you guys ever considered what you might achieve if you did something focused and positive with all this energy

Saving some of it by not answering your silly questions? 🙂

Westbrook Cycles by the way. It’s all over the Internet, but mebbies the news hasn’t made it as far as your cave.

HTH.

TiRed

Some very good value Giant Defy Advanced frames on ebay from fulford cycles. The Specialized is even more of an upright sportive design. Both would be fine, but I’m a Giant Defy fan. You will be lucky to find a complete bike after being voted bike of the year. Just back from a medium fast 60k on mine with Son1, and it really is a do it all bike (well except cx and mtb 🙂 )

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks TiRed – probs not for me tho.

boblo – Member

Westbrook Cycles by the way. It’s all over the Internet, but mebbies the news hasn’t made it as far as your cave.

Wow, 3 posts, and one of them remotely helpful…but barbed with a dig 🙄

stratman
    Free Member

Like TiRed I’m a defy advanced fan. Mine seems comfy and feels fast to me

RealMan
    Free Member

I’d go Tarmac over Roubaix, but they’re both very good bikes. Could consider the Venge too, but I wouldn’t bother.

However the Cannondale SuperSix Evo is pure filth, if I had one I’d end up crashing it all the time from not looking where I was going. If you can get one, I’d be sorely tempted.

And of course there’s the Giant TCR Advanced SL, which is also very very nice.

Hard to say really, they’re all quite similar – what have you got now?

ChrisA
    Free Member

Bike scene have a load of specialized frames on discount at the moment.

Merak

If I were in your position needing a bike for general riding but also race days then I would have the a Tarmac.

The grades are specs rather than carbon properties I think. The kit on the SL4s is good. Id be happy to ride one.

boblo
    Free Member

Al, as you sow, so shall you reap.

atlaz
    Free Member

Look at a Cannondale Synapse if you can get those cheapish. Very comfortable and even not too horrible over cobbles. Obviously if you just want F&F might be expensive but on the other hand if you get the right one, the parts sale will net a few quid for an ultegra groupset with SL-K cranks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Realman – 1.3kg Felt F65 (as in OP 😛 )

Ta atlaz, probs not light enough.

Bob, I do hope carrying that grudge doesn’t weigh you down.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well I got a test ride, and went for a Roubaix in the end, in a smaller size (I’m in between 2) and I’ll slam the stem.

The Tarmac was fine but a bit uncomfortable, even on cobbles at moderate speeds my vision was blurred from the vibration! And then there was the Venge…I’d have loved the aero for my Ironmans, but I’ll get the watts with a helmet and wheels, and once I get bored with that I’ll have a nice comfy bike for fun day rides.

For the haterz: I ordered a triple.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New Road bike advice’ is closed to new replies.