Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New rims, which to choose?
  • peter1979
    Free Member

I have a 2nd hand Spec Pitch that I use as a bit of a trail bike with some moderate downhill. When I bought it the previous owner had attempted to make it bomb proof and as such I have a really heavy bike that im now wanting to make lighter and more manageable on the trail.
    My first port of call is to change to rims from the Sun S-types laced to hope pro 2’s to something lighter but reliable enough to cope with my weight of 14st.
    Budget of circa 50 quid per rim, not too bothered about the whole tubeless thing, ive got Stans Archs on my hardtail and i’ve had hours of trouble setting them up tubeless before giving up.

As a side note can anyone recommend a good wheel builder in bristol to do the swap job for me?

Regards
    Pete

peter1979
    Free Member

Any suggestions from people? I have been looking at the mavics but unsure as to whether I should be going for the xc, ex or en range?

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Arch EX. You don’t have to run them Tubeless.
    Generally lighter than equivalent Mavic if weight is your main concern.

Cheezpleez

By the time you’ve bought new rims and spokes and paid someone to lace them you’ll not be far off the price of these http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=74&products_id=656

I’d go for the TL28s

mikewsmith
    Free Member

By the time you’ve bought new rims and spokes and paid someone to lace them you’ll not be far off the price of these http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=74&products_id=656

I’d go for the TL28sjust read the SS are **** threads though

Mavic XM719, doing well for me, dropping back from proper 21mm rims and no issues. Strong tough and tubeless in 1min.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

got flows on my hardtail, I run them with tubes. Wheelset comes in at 1900g not too bad and strong as an ox. Why not just run Arch’s like you already do?

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Pro2 Mavic 521 wheels I’ll be selling shortly if of any interest to you?

peter1979
    Free Member

Cheezpleez, I know what you are saying but it seems crazy to buy new wheels when I have perfectly good hubs that I can reuse. Surely 2 rims, spokes and build will cost sub 200?

Maybe I should sell the wheels I have and just buy new then. Problem is that the front rim has a small ding, which I’m guessing would put most buyers off?

Northwind

The trick is to get a rim with the same/very similiar ERD to your old ones- otherwise it just won’t work. And if it’s restricting your choices then maybe it’s not worth it.

peter1979
    Free Member

ERD – extremely rare dominos? Extra red dolphins?

I need to research this acronym….

Northwind

I had to look it up :mrgreen: Effective Rim Diameter. Basically the size of the rim, it’s not a standard sadly so you need to make sure the new rim is more or less the same as the old ones, or the spokes won’t be the right length

peter1979
    Free Member

Is there, by any chance, a place where I can find data about ERD sizes, as I cant seem to find any info about the rims I currently have? (Sun S-Type)

Actually, on the Rim it says 559mm x 34mm, is this the measurement I need?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New rims, which to choose?’ is closed to new replies.