• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by tang.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New Reynolds stainless tubing – 921
  • tang
    Free Member

Here’s a little film with my friend Ted James talking about 921. He has done the test welding for Reynolds. I’m off to see him today and hope to get a look.
    [video]http://vimeo.com/m/78876227[/video]

rosscopeco
    Free Member

So what’s the verdict on 921 then? Is it a goer for the ‘perfect’ 29er HT custom frame I’ve been dreaming of ever since stainless tubing came to my attention?!

tang
    Free Member

Well, I’ve had my hands on some of the tubing and I think that you are right, HT ride hard frame. Cost wise its about 853 price ish according to Ted, plus its easier to weld, and has more options for what it can be welded to-alloy wise,head tubes esp- compared to 953. Thus giving the builder more options IIRC.

clubber
    Free Member

So what’s the benefit? Just that it doesn’t rust?

tang
    Free Member

its shiny and has a new badge for starters! and being cold forged it can be formed by the builder with ease.

clubber
    Free Member

OK, so it’s really just the next big thing? It’s shiny but doesn’t actually have a functional benefit?

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s not really a new thing*, it’s a standard stainless alloy that’s been used for lots of things for a while, what’s new is forming it into bike tubing.

And it can be fillet-brazed 😉

*and that’s a good thing because its properties are well known.

ahwiles
    Free Member

clubber – Member

So what’s the benefit? Just that it doesn’t rust?

it doesn’t rust (much)*.

it’s shiny**.

it’s reynolds tubing with a number higher (=better) than 853***.

*which has never really been a problem.

**good, apparently.

***which can now be considered ‘gas pipe’…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Christ, that was hard to watch. Only managed about 3 minutes, sounds like it’s be good for touring bikes like he said. Doesnt make much sense to me, I thought the main benefit of stainless was it’s strength and weight. Yet this is heavier and not as strong as 853, but more expsneive?

Seems pointless to me.

RustySpanner

Yet this is heavier and not as strong……….

Seems pointless to me.

The 650b of the tubing world? 🙂

Sorry.

TiRed

So what’s the benefit?

mmm Shiny.

Personally, I don’t see the point. It’s the extra tensil strength of 953 that makes it a useful/lighter frameset tubing. Most people tire of a frame long before it rusts 😉

I do like the look of the painted/shiny frames, just as I like a little painted Ti, but the finish would not justify an increase in price over 853.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

bencooper
    Free Member

I do like the look of the painted/shiny frames

I’ve made a few frames for Glasgow couriers that are unpainted – normal steel, occasionally with a little oil rubbed in, comes up in a lovely patina.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I wish I’d oiled my BMX. Or coated it in Reynolds 921.

clubber
    Free Member

That’s fine but it’s basically just going to be a new thing for the niche-ists to drool over.

zilog6128

Can’t imagine anyone drooling over this rather than 931 or 953 though.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

David – the rusty rat-look is all the rage in the VW scene. You could be setting a new trend.

tang
    Free Member

I think cheaper shiny, easier to work with about sums it up.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New Reynolds stainless tubing – 921’ is closed to new replies.