Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • New red dwarf on tonight!
  • john_drummer
    Free Member

a bit ‘meh’

Squid of Despair for me. “Dwayne Dibley?!?!?!?”

Konastoner
    Free Member

10/10 for me 🙂 True to it’s roots.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Well, I laughed. That doesn’t happen much these days with telly. 😕

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

canned laughter

Always has been. That’s right for Red Dwarf

I loved it. They’ve not messed with it, or tried to make it ‘better’. Spot on. Some good one liners and a fair few laughs. 10/10 from me 🙂

Kuco

Made me laugh 🙂

speed12
    Free Member

Brilliant – kept to the Red Dwarf formula that works, didn’t try anything new or clever – sorted! Looking forward to the rest!

molgrips
    Free Member

canned laughter

Always has been. That’s right for Red Dwarf

No, a studio audience was used for much of it. In the Smeg Ups tapes they are clearly visible and the cast are playing up to them between takes.

I didn’t watch this, I am to afraid that something meaningful from my youth will be tarnished.

The best series are 1 and 2, decreasing from there on.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Actually, not too bad at all…I’m going to give it a cautious 7/10. There were bits that could have been better, but as someone who grew up with Red Dwarf, it’s harder to get a laugh out of me than it was when I was fourteen.

Didn’t Grant and Naylor fall out some years back? IIRC the member of the duo who persisted with the story was keen to add plot developments.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Very good, hope they keep it up for the series

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Canned laughter

It was filmed in front of a live audience, so not canned laughter

Also enjoyed it

molgrips
    Free Member

Didn’t Grant and Naylor fall out some years back? IIRC the member of the duo who persisted with the story was keen to add plot developments.

Yes, which is why I didn’t like 6 and above. The jokes and smart-arsery were too laboured and lost their snappy humour.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The best series are 1 and 2, decreasing from there on.

See, I think series one is the worst. Peaking at about 4-5. Each to their own but that episode was good IMO.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

not bad at all – good entertainment

piemonster

Lister: Cat
    Cat: Grunt
    Lister: Did you ever see the Flintstones?
    Cat: Sure!
    Lister: Do you think Wilma’s sexy?
    Cat: Wilma Flintstone?
    Lister: Maybe it’s ‘cos we’ve bin in deep space too long but every time I see that Sherwood body it drives me crazy. Is it me?
    Cat: I think in all probability Wilma Flintstone is the most desirable woman who ever lived.
    Lister: That’s good I thought I was going strange.
    Cat: She’s incredible
    Lister: What d’ya think of Betty?
    Cat: Betty Rubble?
    Lister: (Nods agreeing)
    Cat: I’d go with Betty but I’d be thinking of Wilma
    Lister: This is crazy why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
    Cat: Your right we’re nuts this is an insane conversation!
    Lister: She’ll never leave Fred and we know it!
    Cat: (Nods head agreeing)

hertz32
    Free Member

Hmmmmm… not sure quite what to make of it. A couple of laughs but i think cat has lost a fair bit of fluidity and style. (not that he really had any anyway) Polymorph, Polymorph II and the siren episodes are the best.

bobbyspangles

seemed ok to me.

highly camp Kryten when on the phone!

haha.

keep the faith eh?

chojin
    Free Member

Better than Return to Earth, but let’s be honest – that was hardly going to be difficult.

hora
    Free Member

Im not sure- definitely stuck to its roots which is better than that last debacle of Red Dwarf. I will watch again…

woffle
    Free Member

No, a studio audience was used for much of it. In the Smeg Ups tapes they are clearly visible and the cast are playing up to them between takes.

This. At school we had a v.cool media studies teacher – highlight of the year (would have been 1994 I think) was a class trip to watch Red Dwarf being filmed as part of the studio audience. Out of all the cast Robert Llewellyn was the one who took it the least seriously – spent a lot of time trying to get Chris Barrie to mess up his lines…

Sandwich

I’m off to get a marker

The-Beard

I quite liked it, thought it started slow but found it’s stride about a third of the way through. Few bits had me laughing out loud…

I get to sit in lots of meeting where people quote various building regulations and British standards. I just sit there sniggering thinking of space corp directive 34124. No officer with false teeth shall attempt oral sex in zero gravity!

Tom83

I liked it. Had quite a few laugh out loud moments. 8/10 baguettes for me.

hora
    Free Member

Chick was nice. They do tend to hve a particular ‘type’ on Red Dwarf don’t they.

roady_tony
    Free Member

yeah it was ok – some laughs with the Moose –
    i get the feeling lister and rimmer actors charles / barrie are not fully into their characters like they one was – watching the new with the ‘iv’ episode straight after really showed that… perhaps its down to the director

brakes
    Free Member

I thought it was good, definitely reminiscent of the early series and a plot line taken straight from the Star Trek reject bin. Rimmer not quite as much of a b***ard as he used to be, but Lister and definitely Kryten had me laughing.

lunge

7/10 I think, not vintage but pretty good and definitely worth a watch. Certainly enough to get me to tune in next week.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Moose

GregMay
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed it, thought it was a proper return to form. Kryten as normal had me laughing the most 🙂

Kryton57

Agree with the “not so snappy” comments but still enjoyed it. Moose/Cat/Exam the best, Kryten’s facial expressions (“no, we just hosed him off and gave him a hat” – LOL) and body language were the best.

I think it helps when you are twenty something and holding a beer, rather than 40 and holding a cup of tea….

But I’ll be tuning in next week for sure….

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Didn’t Grant and Naylor fall out some years back?

From what I can make out on the credits they’e back together on this one – which is why the comedy/sci-fi balnce has been restored.

Not bad, if I was still 12 I’d have been in raptures.

mrchrispy

8/10 got better as it went on.

so…. a swedish fellow crashes into a tree……

Bucko

I didn’t see the ‘Back to Earth’ stuff, was that supposed to be series 9?

Have I missed anything important with the story between series 8 and 10?

Flaperon

Rimmer’s eyes when his hard disk crashed has been one of the best sight gags of the year.

Klunk
    Free Member

oh dear
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1uTqA9jWWE[/video]

Kryton57

mrchrispy – Member
    8/10 got better as it went on.
    so…. a swedish fellow crashes into a tree……
    POSTED 1 DAY AGO #

A Moose, obviously.

Cougar

From what I can make out on the credits they’e back together on this one

It’s still credited as a “Grant Naylor” production, but Rob Grant has nothing to do with it.

Have I missed anything important with the story between series 8 and 10?

No.

TBH, continuity in Red Dwarf has always made Doctor Who look consistent. Back story is fast ‘n’ loose, as evident when Rimmer had to explain about his successful brothers for the benefit of Americans new viewers, the rest of the crew appeared surprised when in actuality it’s been established canon since day one.

I find it best not to think about it too much, otherwise you start to be kept awake at night wondering how Lister managed to have his appendix out twice.

leffeboy

Works surprisingly well

Russell96

Had me howling laughing at a few points, Moose kicked it off for me, enjoyed that.

pete68
    Free Member

I haven’t seen the last few series but used to love the early ones. Thought this was not too bad and will give it another go. One thing though, where’s Holly? or have missed something.

beamers

Just playing catch up on this.

I though it was pretty good, found the Moos gag laugh out loud funny the second on the second time through.

Will definitely be watching the remaining 5 episodes in the series.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘New red dwarf on tonight!’ is closed to new replies.