Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • New rail investment and electrification…
  • davetrave
    Free Member

So this 9 odd billion quids’ worth of investment in electrification of the rail network will mean a whole new fleet fo trains needing to be designed and built.

Following on from that other thread about the current crop of trains that were designed in the 90’s to rival domestic flights and therefore only have space for 2 bikes, no doubt I’m being wildly optimistic saying what a great opportunity this is to move towards an integrated travel network by giving the new crop of trains space for a few more bikes…

project
    Free Member

Space for bikes means empty space, that doesnt earn money, and is filled by prams etc, like up here on the wirral.

Then there are the moaners who want a seat and see tip up seats and the space they take up being occupied by passengers with bikes.

and dont forget the limited length of a lot of platforms and siding,and the fixed nature of trains,that dont allow extra coaches to be fitted in or on the end of a train

binners

I may be becoming far too cynical, but am I the only who thought… ah yes, ploughing a mountain of taxpayers money into publicly owned Railtrack, in the long term they must be planning to hand it to one of their friends privatise it

highclimber
    Free Member

it’s a way of being able to increase the ticket prices and having something (although pointless) to show for it.

if its not broken, why do they need to fix it?

peterfile
    Free Member

if its not broken, why do they need to fix it?

It is broken.

We have one of the most heavily congested, inefficient and outdated rail infrastructure networks in Europe.

Network Rail haven’t been able to manage tying their shoelaces in the last decade, nevermind a railway.

The ORR is as about effective as, well, something that isn’t very effective at all.

It’s a total farce. I’ve spent years banging my head against a wall working on rail infrastructure improvement projects and rolling stock transactions, we’re miles behind everyone else. It’s embarassing.

But as always, the Govt’s way of dealing with the issue is to throw a whole lot of money to people who really don’t know what to do with it.

davetrave
    Free Member

and dont forget the limited length of a lot of platforms and siding,

Some of the money is supposedly going to be spent on stations. So, and opportunity to lengthen platforms…?

and the fixed nature of trains,that dont allow extra coaches to be fitted in or on the end of a train

That’s why I referenced the fact that the powers that be have already said there will be a need for a whole new fleet of elctrically operated rolling stock (no doubt not built in Derby, by Bombardier again…) – my point about being able to re-design the trains to be more usable… 🙄 🙂

aP
    Free Member

SWT are currently working on the 10 car platform extensions into Waterloo, although apparently the trains won’t be ready when they were supposed to be…
    This investment should be good, assuming that it can be progressed realistically

GrahamS

the limited length of a lot of platforms and siding,and the fixed nature of trains,that dont allow extra coaches to be fitted in or on the end of a train

Hmm… how about roof racks for trains? 😉

Seriously though, a bike carriage could be added to the end of most trains.

On platforms that are too short we could be directed to enter/exit via the door of the end carriage. Such platforms presumably occur mainly at smaller stations where there isn’t a ton of people getting on and off.

No problems like this are insurmountable – there just isn’t any political or commercial will to do so.

aP
    Free Member

What tends to happen is that when the trains are made up of 2x 4 car units the second set has the doors disabled so only the front 4 cars’ doors open. Setting up the trains to have selective door opening within a 4 car unit is bound to be too complex and expensive.

GrahamS

Setting up the trains to have selective door opening within a 4 car unit is bound to be too complex and expensive.

Nothing that “9 odd billion quids” wouldn’t solve. 😀

Rio

Setting up the trains to have selective door opening within a 4 car unit is bound to be too complex and expensive

Northern Line trains manage it so I can’t imagine it’s really that expensive. Come to think of it so do some Chiltern Line trains when they use the short platforms on the toy train line from Princes Risborough to Aylesbury and they’re not exactly high-tech. I expect there are many more examples.

scuzz
    Free Member

Nothing that “9 odd billion quids” wouldn’t solve.

I reckon I could do it. Oh, and I’m £50 cheaper

highclimber
    Free Member

It is broken.

The network is broken, not the trains.

project
    Free Member

Seriously though, a bike carriage could be added to the end of most trains.

so it will need to be at the back at terminal stations, then you need to power it to be able to drive it away so the driver can see where he is going, or perhaps make a drivers cab in the end, and drag round a carrige of emepty space every day.

Lots of stations canmnot be lengthened, due to level crossing and bridges, or houses,shops or factories.

On platforms that are too short we could be directed to enter/exit via the door of the end carriage. Such platforms presumably occur mainly at smaller stations where there isn’t a ton of people getting on and off.

be very intresting trying to walk a bike down a crowded corridor of suited people, along with the usual ignorant passengers.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Binners – be even more cynical. Perhaps Its a sop to the lib dems – a promise to do something in the future rather than doing anything now

binners

Once upon a time it was Nu labour who saw the solution to anything was to throw money at it.

Unfortunately, it seems like Dave and Chums, despite not seeing a need for a decent education system, functioning hospitals, libraries, any benefits system etc… still seem in the thrall of self-interested consultants on huge fees telling them about the joys of huge vanity infrastructure projects that will deliver eff all huge benefits to society

GrahamS

be very intresting trying to walk a bike down a crowded corridor of suited people, along with the usual ignorant passengers.

No, not down the full length of the corridor.

Don’t most carriages have doors at both ends? So on short platforms cyclists wishing to use the cycle carriage are told to access it via the nearest carriage door and just turn (say) left into the cycle carriage instead of (say) right into the normal carriage.

perhaps make a drivers cab in the end, and drag round a carrige of emepty space every day.

That describes most daytime trains doesn’t it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Setting up the trains to have selective door opening within a 4 car unit is bound to be too complex and expensive

Expensive yes, it’s a government infastructure project!

Complicated? Naaaaaaa, I always seem to be in the wrong carridge when it’s announced that the train is longer than the station so could everyone who want’s to get off from carridge Z please move foreward to B.

Given the cost fo rail carriges, would it not be cheeper just to buy everyone a brompton?

project
    Free Member

perhaps make a drivers cab in the end, and drag round a carrige of emepty space every day.

That describes most daytime trains doesn’t it?

apologies just remebered the foirst of the new rolling stock made many years ago , the class 150, which had a lockable storage space between the first paseenger door and the driver, it also had tipup bench seats, and seated about 10 people, problem was it was usually taken over by teenagers, or families, who then closed the door and refused cyclists access, but worked equally well when they found your foot against the sliding door , stopping them from getting out at their station.

kimbers

wait a minute its almost as if austerity is causing a recession

but the entire tory/coalition mantra has been cut, cut, cut ftw – you cant spend your way out of a recession

this is madness next thing youll be telling me is that the wright wing press think its a good idea

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/philipaldrick/100018725/george-osborne-needs-to-untie-his-own-hands-and-start-investing-in-infrastructure/

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

But as always, the Govt’s way of dealing with the issue is to throw a whole lot of money to people who really don’t know what to do with it.

Your’e probably right there. My son works for TFL, obviously his degree in textile design came in handy, & the only interest in railways he’s ever had was Thomas the Tank Engine!

project
    Free Member

obviously his degree in textile design came in handy, & the only interest in railways he’s ever had was Thomas the Tank Engine!

the underground trains do have a rather nice check pattern on the seats.

molgrips
    Free Member

We have one of the most heavily congested, inefficient and outdated rail infrastructure networks in Europe.

Not arguing with that, but I wonder – how many other European countries have the same population density and passenger flux issues that we have? We seem to have bigger conurbations than most places, and I bet the network topology is different.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘New rail investment and electrification…’ is closed to new replies.