Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • New puppy woes :(
  • renton
    Free Member

So our new puppy has got us a little bit baffled and totally frustrated.

He is an 11 week old Cocker spaniel and he is driving us nuts with his toilet habits.

One minute we think he is getting it by sitting by the back to asking to go out and then the next minute he has done a wee in the house.

He can be great all day then randomly just go and wee or sometimes maybe poo with no warning.

We are always letting him out and this is another random thing in that he can go and have a wee outside and then come in and maybe two minutes later just wee on the carpet.

Any ideas ?

Cheers.

benp1

Lots of praise when he goes outside followed by your command for it – we’re lumbered with ‘wees and poos’ 🙄

If you see him do it try and catch up and put him outside

He’ll need to go at certain times of day and after a big drink, try the positive reinforcement thing then

He’s a puppy, expect to write off many things, but gain many other things in return. I guarantee he’ll pick it up in time

Our 7 month old puppy managed to take a piss on a different floor of the house, and on our bed! He’s normally excellent other than that! (we have another dog)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Puppy thread? No help will be offered until there are photos.

devash
    Free Member

Our two flat coated retrievers would still do the odd pee in the house up until a year and a half, seemingly as revenge for perceived slights such as not letting them upstairs (they would always find a way to get upstairs, and then pee).

McHamish
    Free Member

I don’t really have any learned advice, but i wonder if you make a point of weeing outside in front of him will he think that’s the right thing to do?

I’d probably restrict it to just weeing at night…you don’t want your neighbour to see you doing a big jobbie on the lawn.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Normal behaviour, sorry but it just is.

Just keep training, it’s not a 5min job and spaniels are independent buggers ( I know, I’ve had 2 )

It’ll get the hang of it, IIRC mine took a good couple of months post the initial 9weeks “puppydom”.

Now get prepared for it chewing everything and for gawds sake don’t let it get bored.

surfer
    Free Member

You should be banned…..

We have a Cocker, he is 3 now and s**** for England! Took a while for the training to sink in but he will get it soon.

Best dogs ever 🙂

renton
    Free Member

Everything benp1 has said we do. Lots of praise etc and of we catch him he is put straight outside.

Here he is….

Meet Cooper ……

cinnamon_girl

Oh my word, he is a gorgeous little thing. 😀

bigjim

aww

km79
    Free Member

It’s 11 weeks old FFS! Give it a break and some time to be trained.

funkmasterp

That is one cute puppy. With a face like that I’d let him wee wherever he chooses 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s 11 weeks old FFS! Give it a break and some time to be trained.

This (although I’d be a bit softer 🙂 )

If he’s only 11 weeks old, you’ll have had him only a short time. Give it time. It still takes less time than a human pup!

He looks lovely btw.

iolo
    Free Member

He’ll destroy the house. I’ll save you though. He can come and live with me. How much posted to Austria?

Onzadog
    Free Member

No advice from me, just wanted to see the fur baby.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Disappointed that you didn’t name him Joe.

djflexure

Not a woe – just normal

The onus is on you to take it out – probably more often that it needs – to try and minimise accidents – that will still occur from time to time.

Nice dog – enjoy the good bits.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Take him out. He wees or poos? Big treat or reward & fuss.

He does nada? No treat or reward. He doesn’t know to ask to go yet.

surfer
    Free Member

Monty Says hi

surfer
    Free Member

Lifesize 😯

mountainman

We’ve just re homed a 12 mnth old terrier/springer/looney cross from local puppy rescue where he spent some time in mixed kennels ,so the training ritual has to begin,at least he’s choosing the same spot to go,plenty of praise when he goes outside.
    Our other 3 year old terrier looks on with disgust when we find the indoor offerings ,saying it’s not me .
    Previous owners said he was too boisterous,he’s great at tiring out the terrier .

jimw
    Free Member

Our last dog was finally housetrained at 6 months, and that is with doing all of the taking out, treating etc. her predecessor got the idea in about 16 weeks. Our current 12 week old pup is getting the hang of asking to go out for poo’s but still has less success with wee’s although about every other night or so is dry

mountainman

mountainman

dantsw13

Our spaniel was crate trained – worked really quickly.

renton
    Free Member

Aye he is in his cage at night. Doesn’t wee at all in there now touch wood.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

The onus is on you to take it out – probably more often that it needs – to try and minimise accidents – that will still occur from time to time.

This is the key. I took ours out every 30 minutes when they were that young, unless they were in their crates; just set an alarm on my phone (although I had the benefit of working from home).

dantsw13

Crate training involves keeping them in it during the day. Every 20 minutes if so, take them outside. If they wee, brilliant! Then let them have 20 min free in the house, before back in the crate. You gradually stretch the time in the Crate.
    Basically, they don’t see in their “house” so you use it to stretch their bladder control. Google it, far better explanations than mine available!

renton
    Free Member

Ah got you.
    We let him out all the time to be honest and most of the time he will go. Then two minutes later go in the house.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

This is Wilma (AKA, Little Shit/Ratbag) a few weeks ago…

She’s now 14 weeks & still has the odd ‘mishap’ especially when she gets exited. At least she now barks at 04 sodding 30 to go out for a pee/poo.

Wasn’t my idea to get a crap machine BTW.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘New puppy woes :(’ is closed to new replies.