Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New Puppy – Toilet training tips?
  • Lazgoat
    Free Member

We’ve just (today) received our new puppy and looking for some tips on how to train her to do her business outside. She’s 13 weeks old and semi-toilet trained. She’ll happily do the business outside but she’ll also just be walking around inside and without warning squat and do a wee.

She’s been with a breeder the whole time and has been outdoors with the rest of the dogs so its all she knows I guess. We are taking her out into the garden once an hour for about 10 minutes to get her into the habit of doing it outside but three times today she’s wee’d on the floor within minutes of coming indoors.

Any ideas?

butcher

They’ll do it indoors, there’s not a great deal you can do about that except clean it up. The important thing is to praise them when they do it outdoors.

Soon enough the outdoor ones will become more frequent than the indoor ones.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Teach her to wiz on command. We used “be quick” for ours.

Use negative feedback when she wizzes where she shouldn’t.

Should only take a few days.

househusband

No advice to offer but, for goodness sakes man, show us the puppy!!! 😉

unklehomered
    Free Member

Pics I or won’t tell you how…

Make a massive fuss of her when she goes outside, when she goes inside don’t smack or shout at her (this is interaction and a form of reward), but ignore, while you clean it up if she comes up to you just push her away with the back of your hand and don’t make eye contact. Domestic dogs crave eye contact with people, they learn very quickly it is the secret to our communication (with other dogs its mouth and tail). Depriving her of it, and not interacting with her is the most effective neg feedback for all bad behaviour you want to discourage, use it later when she start jumping up, physically turning away is also good for that.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Outside after food, play, sleep and lots of praise when she does the business. Also, as above, try to encourage to poop on command, it’s a godsend when you need to leave them for a bit…

stox
    Free Member

Just take her out a lot – after play, after drinking, after feeding .
    Use a phrase outside and stick with it. With mine it was ‘ hurry up’ .praise them when they do the job.

Don’t punish for doing it indoors … Just take her outside soon as.

Acceot that You’ll get accidents in the house but the puppy will learn and over time you’ll see less.
    I think it would take more than a few days but if she is part trained it shouldn’t be too long.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Here she is!

Thanks for all the tips. Will keep a close eye on her for her and keep her outside out for longer after meals and playing.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Lovely, what breed is she?

Lazgoat
    Free Member

She’s a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, or Toller for short. She’s an absolute gem.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Blimey that is a mouthful!!

bigbloke
    Free Member

We have a 5.5 month old Boxer puppy , we used those puppy training pads that have a scent added so it attracts the dog to do their business on it. We gradually moved it to the back door and then outside, now nothing. However put the dog out after a sleep/feed/play etc to get it used to the idea of going outside. Use a keyword when doing so like “go weewee ” or similar so it starts to recognise it.

It takes time , our puppy still cant last the night but now its limited to a minor accident but mostly is ok.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Mine is 6.5 years, going on 6 months. 😀

Do not ever let them on the bed, they come to expect it, and hog the duvet.. 😕

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New Puppy – Toilet training tips?’ is closed to new replies.