Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • New puppy thread
  • mogrim

After many months of pressure from the minimogrims and me, we’ve finally got approval for a new puppy:

(Actual model may vary, it’ll be this one or one of his very similar brothers… I’m picking him up on Friday)

So, any tips other than don’t leave anything on the floor you don’t want chewed? It’s not my first dog, but I haven’t had a puppy at home for over 14 years…

z1ppy

We’ve found a dog crate [previously also had one for the last cat] very helpful (cover with towels, & position it in a quiet/cool place), it’s their safe place (keep everyone out of it, it’s their private space) and very handy for “time outs” as well as while your out duty..

Enjoy, looks a great pup!

mogrim

A crate might be a good idea, particularly if it both speeds up house training and minimises the risk of pup chewing things it shouldn’t…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    perthmtb
    Free Member

Don’t do the ‘cruel to be kind’ thing of locking them in the kitchen alone at night from the get-go.

Put it in a cardboard box next to your bed and talk to it or reach a hand down when it gets restless.

Much kinder to the puppy, and you’ll get more sleep too!
    It’ll still transition to the kitchen fine after a week or so…

mogrim

Don’t do the ‘cruel to be kind’ thing of locking them in the kitchen alone at night from the get-go.

Put it in a cardboard box next to your bed and talk to it or reach a hand down when it gets restless.

Yeah, I’ve been reading up on this – using a crate (as mentioned by z1ppy) and keeping the crate near your bed at the beginning.

rhid

He looks like the puppy version of my dog! What is he?

Cannot help with the puppy issues as Seth is a 4 year old rescue dog. He is scared of crates and sleeps on a dog bed in the bedroom as he is scared of the dark, the cats, his shadow, the wind, crisp packets and pretty much everything else!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Get him insured with life time cover before you go near the vets with him. That way, he’ll not have any pre-existing condition exclusions.

mogrim

He looks like the puppy version of my dog! What is he?

No idea – he’s also a rescue dog, parents unknown. A mutt, basically 🙂

sandwicheater

Call him/her Dave.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Dogs upstairs???

Keep out of the bedroom unless you want trouble. They adjust very quickly and welcome a crate….it’s their space. They just take 24 hours or so to adjusts and then happy as Larry.

Enjoy!

Put the insurance money in a bank account instead – a dedicated one. Most of the the time vets bills are just inside the excess (hmmm?) so better to build, up a nest egg instead IMO

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got to stop reading puppy threads.

…parents unknown. A mutt, basically.

they’re the best kind!

rhid

Apparently Seth is a collie / saluki cross. I have my doubts. He is a lot of fun whatever.

surfer
    Free Member

He’s trouble that one. You mark my words 🙂

mogrim

Apparently Seth is a collie / saluki cross.

The people at the rescue centre said they thought there might be a bit of galgo (Spanish greyhound) in there, which is of course very similar to a saluki – so that could well be the case.

He’s trouble that one. You mark my words

I certainly don’t doubt it 😀

monde
    Free Member

Get a book called Total Recall by Pippa Mattinson. Best money you will spend on the dog as it will make your life a lot easier later on!

wilko1999
    Free Member

Definitely a good bit of sighthound in there. His head shape/ears and front legs look just like our Lurcher’s did when he was that age. He’s adorable 🙂

llama

We picked up our new one on Saturday

pic

another collie cross

We are doing the crate in the kitchen. We do have another dog in the kitchen though. She is getting there with moderate protest.

We’ve got a different book by Pippa Mattinson – looks good – things have moved on a bit since the last one was a puppy. Have just been in the garden for a bit of recall foundation 🙂

Off to the vet in half an hour, we’ll see how that goes!

z1ppy

The people at the rescue centre said they thought there might be a bit of galgo (Spanish greyhound) in there, which is of course very similar to a saluki – so that could well be the case.

How come there think he’s a spanish breed? (podenco crosses look very similar to that too)

mogrim

How come there think he’s a spanish breed? (podenco crosses look very similar to that too)

Mainly because I live in Madrid 🙂

Have now bought a couple of Pippa Mattinson book for my Kindle, thanks for the suggestions.

z1ppy

ahh make sense… bit warm atm?

mogrim

bit warm atm?

Very!

mogrim

Anyway, slight thread resurrection… he’s here. Say hello to Jerry*:

* name may change in the near future, although I quite like it.

anagallis_arvensis

Certainly looks lurchery, maybe some staffie too. Have fun, he looks great.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Hello Jerry.
    He looks like a politician trying to explain the headlines in News of the Screws.

(which one..?)

mikey74
    Free Member

Dawwwwww. hello Jerry.

The white patch on his chest looks like a Phoenix: There’s your name, right there :mrgreen:

mogrim

The white patch on his chest looks like a Phoenix:

Thinking about it it looks like Batman. Unfortunately a neighbour already has a dog called Bruce and I refuse to have one called Wayne….

mikey74
    Free Member

Alfred? 😀

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Michael…

moose
    Free Member

Currently fostering these two midgets, Hooch and Moonshine.

mogrim

Alfred’s a good name. As is Æthelstan. And I cam see myself shouting “‘Stan, where the f*** are you ‘Stan?” on a regular basis…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘New puppy thread’ is closed to new replies.