Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New pro 2 evo hub sticking
  • TomZesty
    Free Member

Just bought a new set of wheels (hope pro 2s with flow rims. After fitting them to my bike, I discovered that the front hub is sticking when turned – i.e when the bikes upside down and I spin the wheel it does about 2 or 3 revolutions and then stops. The back one spins for ages when I give it the gentlest push. I haven’t had hubs with cartridge bearings before so I was wondering if one of the experts on here can help me to get it spinning freely?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I have to ask: have you made sure that he brake isn’t binding?

TomZesty
    Free Member

No because I slotted it in before I even fitted the rotor and gave it a spin and it did the same thing. I haven’t overtightened the qrs. Its just like when you overtighten a cup and cone hub, but I don’t know how to service it (plus its brand new out the box this morning, so Id hoped it shouldn’t need servicing!)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

OK, I just had to make sure. How does the wheel spin out of the fork? How do the bearings feel if you rotate each of them by hand? It’s possible that you have a dud, or perhaps one isn’t seated properly.

TomZesty
    Free Member

They turn when you do them by hand just a bit stiff. I’ve been a ride on them, I thought they’d just loosen up to be honest with a good few revolutions. The rear got even better and the front stayed the same. I hope its not a dud don’t want to go back to the shop!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Is that with the QR adaptors out? So you’re turning the bearings directly.

TomZesty
    Free Member

No this was with the adaptors left on. Should that make a difference then?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It’s just a matter of eliminating possibilities until the cause is found. Removing the adaptors will confirm that one/other isn’t binding, for whatever reason.

TomZesty
    Free Member

Ok thanks I’ll have a go tomorrow!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

tbh – it doesnt sound great. My hope front spins for donkeys. My rear stops after 2 or 3 revs.

If you can take the adapters out and stick your middle fingers directly in the bearing inner races you can narrow it down. Let us know.

rondo101
    Free Member

Sounds like I’ve got a similar problem with my rear hub. QR taken out and rotating in my hands (holding the axle, not the freehub) the movement feels quite rough, like something’s dragging. Front hub rotates for ages but the rear stops after a couple of revolutions. It’s been like it out the box (2.5 months ago) and thought it might loosen up with riding. Is this something worth trying to sort myself by taking the hub apart or should I contact the shop?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New pro 2 evo hub sticking’ is closed to new replies.