Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • New post office policy?
  • ski
    Free Member

Anyone else been asked recently what is inside the parcel they are sending?

Apparently there is a new policy to ask what are the contents are you are posting?

I was told if I did not tell them they would refuse the parcel, so I told them it was a book about post master stealing parcel contents, which brought a little smile from the post office worker.

johndoh
    Free Member

Tell them it is a consignment of S&M gear, lubes and rubber toys.

eskay

Yes, they have been doing this for a while now.

I have stopped using them though (not because of that, I understand why they are asking) but because of their ridiculous prices).

I have started using Collect+. Print the labels off at home, drop into the local shop, they scan each barcode, give you a receipt and off you go. Dropped off five parcels this morning and was in and out in about one minute (and it was a fraction of the cost).

legend
    Free Member

My local PO has just been asking about batteries, I assume that’s what they’re all really wanting to know?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

They have become a lot stricter about what they will carry – if you ask them they’ll give you a leaflet explaining it. Dare say its on the web net as well somewhere.

wwaswas

I think it comes back to the spontaneously combusting Dreamliners.

There’s an awful lot more nerves about any chemical based power sources that are sent through the post now in case they end up in an aircraft.

clubber
    Free Member

As above it’s about batteries. Doesn’t seem unreasonable in itself.

jfletch
    Free Member

The batteries things is entirely unreasonable.

Every ordered anything off Amazon with batteries? Yep delivered by Royal Mail with batteries included. In fact you can order a pack of batteries by post.

sheeps

I got asked about whether a GPS unit (which has a built in, non-removable Li-on battery) I was returning had a Lithium Ion battery in it… and the way the question was phrased suggested that if I said yes, they would refuse to take the parcel. I lied! The unit got to it’s destination and back again (again with Royal Mail) without catching fire or anything!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just some returns, don’t worry it already caught fire…..

Rockhopper
    Free Member

“Batteries that are classed as dangerous goods by the latest edition of the International Civil Aviation Organization’s (ICAO) Technical Instructions are prohibited. This includes wet spillable lead acid/lead alkaline batteries (such as car batteries), used alkaline metal, nickel metal hydride (NiMH), nickel cadmium (NiCd), zinc-air batteries, and damaged batteries of any type.

Lithium ion/polymer/metal/alloy batteries when not sent with, or contained in/connected to an electronic device, are prohibited.

Lithium ion/polymer/metal/alloy batteries are allowed when sent with or contained in/connected to an electronic device, but are subject to packaging, volume and quantity restrictions.

Sealed lead acid batteries are allowed in the UK, but are also subject to packaging, volume, quantity and labelling restrictions.

Alkaline metal, nickel metal hydride (NiMH) and nickel cadmium (NiCd) batteries may only be sent when new and in their original packaging.”

p8ddy
    Free Member

The irony is that if you send using the self service counters, there is no such requirement for the Post Office to know.

I also have it in writing from PO head office that you do NOT have to disclose what you are sending, but that they have asked PO staff to ask intrusive questions.

Basically, all you need to say is “the goods I’m sending are not on the prohibited items list, I’ve checked”. If they give you a hard time complain. I’ve noticed a serious difference in attitude in PO staff recently. Very aggressive, and frequently downright rude. I’m always polite, but I’m not telling people what’s in my mail. That’s my business, and mine only.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The irony is that there is nothing stopping you from telling a lie. It’s a little bit like the entry cards for the US –

Are you a war criminal?

Damn you got me.

wwaswas

there have been tales of people having parcels with batteries in destroyed, though.

I assume a percentage get x-rayed or otherwise inspected?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Just a minute…li-ions are less dangerous if they are connected to something?

That makes LOTS of sense.

Cougar

Safer if correctly installed in a device rather than rattling round in a bag of paperclips, I’d expect.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m assuming connected could mean safely rattling round in a bag full of paperclips whilst connected to a bike light….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m asked about loose batteries in my luggage every time I fly. Just a better way of asking.

zokes
    Free Member

I’m asked about loose batteries in my luggage every time I fly. Just a better way of asking.

Are you? I can’t remember the last time I had a human interaction until boarding the aircraft, other than the usual security x-ray of hand-luggage. I’ve certainly not been asked for ID for a very long time…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

At screening and at bag drop/check in every time I fly these days which seems to be a lot! They were asking it at Jetstar Launceston on Monday

zokes
    Free Member

Ah, everything seems to be automated with a wave of my Qantas card at those red pillar things, then the Q-tags for checked luggage. I don’t actually have a human look at any form of ID until the air hostess scans my Qantas card and prints out my boarding pass at the gate.

I seem to have to produce more ID to get into the Qantas lounge than I do to actually get on the plane!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yeah you can swipe into the virgin lounge now 🙂 I guess you just press the yes button rather than reading it 🙂 I managed to get bounced from an AirNZ auto checkin box as I had just admitted to carrying heaps of dangerous goods – more to do with muscle memory and it being 6am…

zokes
    Free Member

I guess you just press the yes button rather than reading it

No yes button, just wave your frequent flier card near these things, the top lights up green, and you get a text message with your seat number.

It’s a good job terrorists only threaten international flights, isn’t it! 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘New post office policy?’ is closed to new replies.