• This topic has 119 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)
  • New pic of the Codeine
  • bentudder

Looks bang tidy. Or tidily banged. Can’t decide. But I still want one.

Here: Linky.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

That there Ed bloke with the beard has one too.

S’alright I suppose….

https://twitter.com/GreatRock/status/387567799129743360/photo/1

Cheezpleez

I like the look of it. Are there any geo numbers anywhere? I think Brant’s quoting £599 for a frame, which sounds pretty good.

Gee76
    Free Member

Toying with the idea of a trailsy 29er and this keeps jumping out at me. (Along with a prime!!!) It will be Xmas indeed when it lands. Loved my ti456 and loving my Fireline Evo at mo too.

Any insight on where the £599 price came from and what shock is to be incl? Last I saw it was a maybe for a ccdb!

Northwind

It looks slightly… squashy, perhaps? Like the horizontal and the vertical are off two different bikes. Nice, though.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

I think the whyte t129 looks better

Rorschach
    Free Member

Presumably it’ll actually fit decent width rear tyre (unlike the whyte).

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Fair point

Rorschach
    Free Member

My yelli will be finding a new home to make way for one :mrgreen:

Gee76
    Free Member

Me thinks it a 67 ha, 440mm stays, 130mm travel. Think I read steep SA so guessing 73-74 def ish.

Be interesting to see sizing. Hoping for a 19″ large… Hint hint Brant. Oh and a bit of a long front end so ETT of 24-24.5″ be nice too.

But then design by committee isn’t really the way these things are done. Anyone got any other rumours on this?

DT78
    Free Member

Very interested in this too….!

andyl
    Free Member

has he mentioned seat post diameter yet? Really hoping for 31.6 as it’s an aluminium frame and not 30.9

Rorschach
    Free Member

Historically (np mega) Brant likes a steeper SA (which would help with tyre clearance issues) and shorter tt’s.But he’s has been playing with teeny weeny stems so fingers crossed for a nice looong tt (640ish on a lg pleeeaaase Mr R)

andyl
    Free Member

The pikes look great in white with black stanchions. Just have a feeling that 140mm travel and 29″ wheels make me wonder about standover.

bentudder

I think the prototype Ed Oxley was testing (Waves) was supposed to be 16″, which is good news for stumpy blokes like me, as the Banshee is in M and larger only. We’ll see.
    Under £600 for a frame is pretty amazing, frankly.

_tom_
    Free Member

I like the clean/simple frame design but will it be fun to ride? On One seem to have a habit of making their bikes quite long and stable which isn’t much fun!

rOcKeTdOg

No 27.5 version? 🙁

larrythelathe
    Free Member

I read somewhere they are going to be 799 with CCDB air.

STATO
    Free Member

I find it funny your all begging for a certain geo when they are already designed and built 😆

Anyway, what forks are people going to put on these? I was tempted to wait as it seems like a good deal, however a decent fork negates any saving so have just stuck with 26″ again until forks are not stoopid money.

nuke

Nice. Seems a bit overkill for the Surrey Hills and I think I’d prefer 26″/650b for AM trips away so I’ll hold on for the 650b

No 27.5 version?

It does say in bent udders linky in his op that they have 650b samples they are working on

brant
    Free Member

I’ve nowt on today so I’ll drag out some reach dimensions.
    That’s the only sensible thing to go off really.

£599 with a Monarch R. I hope we can do £799 with CCDB.
    We are certainly going hard to the market with this one.
    We priced a build with Sektors, Monarch R, X9 clutch mech and SRAM Mrp chain device, X9 hubs and Pacenti rims with Smorgasbord tyres at £1499. Or £1999 with hop ups to a Pike, Reverb and CCDB.

I don’t think we will sell millions, but it’s the trail suspension bike we wanted to do. Kind of stupid. Not commercial. But just no nonsense and fun.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Come on then, I’m tempted.
    What’s the eta?

Gee76
    Free Member

Hoping its crimbo I hear.. But guess that depends on a Lotta things!.

looking fwd to those numbers Brant.

Gee76
    Free Member

Hoping its crimbo I hear.. But guess that depends on a Lotta things!.

looking fwd to those numbers Brant.

johanhej
    Free Member

A 27.5 on-one enduro fs would definitely be something I’d be interested in if it’s we came to the table.

ahwiles
    Free Member

a bit less travel, and the ability to run a granny ring, and i’ll have one.

(i’ve only got skinny legs, and a pair of 120mm forks going spare…)

but bloody hell, that’s a belter.

Gee76
    Free Member

Come on Brant where are you with those numbers. I know it ain’t available but inexplicably I keep checking this thread every half hour and its decimating me doing owt else!!.

Hows the 7lb plan going by the way too?

brant
    Free Member

Hello.

Reach Dimensions – horizontal from BB centre to top of head tube.
    16in – 395mm
    18in – 408mm
    20in – 430mm

Which to compare with a typical 73deg seat angle gives effective top tube lengths of:-
    16in – 600mm (23.6in)
    18in – 610mm (24in)
    20in – 630mm (24.8in)

The actual “angle of the seat tube” is 70.5deg, and it’s offset forward about 35mm. This gives a 73.5deg seat angle at average saddle height. Interestingly, even with 6in of difference in saddle height, the seat position only varies by 3mm fore or aft of a “virtual seat angle”. So whilst yes, a taller saddle will have a slacker seat angle, the actual seat angle you’ll feel only varies by 0.5deg. So shorties will get a 74deg seat angle, and lanky sods end up at 73deg. Which is why the larger size gets a greater top tube length difference to allow people that want to move forward a bit to move forward without getting things too short.

Oh yes – I guess you can see that the seat tube is straight – it’s a key point – as I wanted people to be able to drop a full length 400mm post right down, so those of us that can’t afford (or don’t want) a dropper post aren’t hampered by the saddle in the way. I see quite a few bikes out there that don’t have this, and it’s just a bit rubbish I think. Post diameter is 31.6mm. Our Neil runs a 30.9mm post with a shim – they are out there. The seat tube is externally butted at the top to guard against the odd cracking you can get on frames where you don’t have some seatstays supporting the seat tube.

Chainstay length came in at 440mm, 17.3in. Which gives 6mm clearance between the corner of a Smorgasbord the edge of the chain stay, at the narrowest point. Proper tyres. Proper clearance.

The suspension is optimised for a 32t chainring. 34t will work. 30t would as well I think (we’ll check), but 32t offers absolutely perfect performance in terms of anti-squat. The bike climbs incredibly well with a fully open shock, without any requirement for lockout or propedal.

LoCo
    Free Member

What’s the BB height?

Quite interested in a large frameset 😀

brant
    Free Member

It’s got a 35mm drop at static. So with big tyres, that’s 13.2in.

akasteve
    Free Member

Brant when will they be available and/ or one in the shop to sit on?
    It could be the bike I’m looking for – a full susser with a bit of character.

brant
    Free Member

I’m going to get one built up to production spec for the shop in the next week or so.
    Lead time is going to be about two months yet. So I’d bet on early January rather than Christmas.
    I just wanted it right, and no point in rushing.

Gee76
    Free Member

I think I know the answer but is there any chance of stealth dropper routing.

Ideally I’m a 19″ man for most of your bikes but they come in 18″ or 20″ flavours. At least if a I ran a reverb stealth which comes in 150mm flavour I could get the height I’d need.

Gee76
    Free Member

I think I know the answer but is there any chance of stealth dropper routing.

Ideally I’m a 19″ man for most of your bikes but they come in 18″ or 20″ flavours. At least if a I ran a reverb stealth which comes in 150mm flavour I could get the height I’d need.

brant
    Free Member

I haven’t got any issues with people drilling holes in it for Reverb Stealth running, and we were discussing doing that on Thursday. I wanted to run it externally down the downtube, then into the seat tube. Tom thought this was terrible and it had to be internal all the way from the headtube 🙂

It’s not going to make this revision, but it has got very well placed Reverb mounts on the top tube side.

thelostboy

All of my want. I could well see this being my new bike next year.

bigdean

No bottle mounts, no size bigger than 20″. Shame as looking at a stumpjumper fsr currently and have a few on one frames already

brant
    Free Member

One of the great things about Specialized is that they have such a huge global market, it’s feasible for them to make bikes for people outside the bell-curve of what’s economic for smaller manufacturers like us. With a minimum production quantity per size, we’d have to order about three years worth of, say a 22in frame to make it worthwhile, which just isn’t sensible for us.

It doesn’t have bottle cage mounts, no.

bigdean

Yes, but i’ve got two of your 21″ 29er frames and going down another size will just leave a silly amount of post sticking out. (On reason i git rid of the 26″ inbread).
    Still a dirty harry is on the list for a future build.

brant
    Free Member

How tall are you Dean? And what dimension is your saddle top from your BB centre (out of interest).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘New pic of the Codeine’ is closed to new replies.