Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New phone- Desire X still a good call?
  • Northwind

Just about to replace my dying Desire S… It’s never really done anything I don’t like, so looking at HTC again and the X seems to be their contender in the free-phone, sub-£20 market. Seems to have everything I want- expandable memory and decent music, reasonable size for my clumsy fingers… I’m not that demanding a user but I want something that feels nice to use. Can’t get excited about apps and games, I really just use strava, I have a proper computer for games and a proper tv for films…

So… Good choice? Saves me a bit off my old contract, shouldn’t need much learning but I’m clueless on phones so any advice’d be useful.

Weasel
    Free Member

I just replaced my HTC Wildfire with a One SV for £21pm with t mobile, more than enough calls, texts and data usage.

Although it’s great to have a bigger screen, which was one of the many bugbears of the Wildfire (and lack of memory) it’s not exactly pocket sized any more. I also didn’t want an iphone – some people find this strange apparently.

Also, have a look on uswitch, and there are cash back offers via Quidco etc.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I had a Wildfire and came to hate the damn thing. Upgraded to a Nokia Lumia 820 windows phone and the difference is like night and day. MsD had the desire and she too opted for the Lumia 820.
    Really nice phone to use, great camera and more than enough apps for me – although Strava isn’t supporting the windows OS yet. There is a third party app for Strava though.
    £26pcm on t-mobile. I too really didn’t want an iphone, and Nokia have a deal with OS maps and are currently the only manufacturer to support offline mapping.

Just to add more confusion 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

There’s no such thing as a “free phone”, just ones you pay for on the drip for two years.

Popular wisdom at the moment is to go SIM-only and get a Nexus 4.

Northwind

Cougar – Moderator

There’s no such thing as a “free phone”, just ones you pay for on the drip for two years.

Popular wisdom at the moment is to go SIM-only and get a Nexus 4.

That seems to be a pretty expensive option? It’s about £400 over 2 years for the contracts I’m looking at but that’s with pretty decent calls/data allowances, I can’t get close to it with sim-only… Am I missing something?

stumpy01

Have a look on buymobilephones.net

Very good deals. Mixed reviews online, most being 5 star or 1 star. My experience would be 5 star.

Got a Sony Xperia T on 3 for £18/month with 300 mins, texts and unlimited data.

It’s an Android phone, so runs similar to the HTC Desire I had before.

Picto
    Free Member

Can second buymobilephones.net. Just got a decent deal fom them. Read the same reviews as above and took a punt. Bit of a faff with proof of ID, but I guess this is good if it prevents fraud.

matt_outandabout

I just got one a month ago, seems great. The only bit I do not like is the ‘on’ button is on the top edge, small and now hidden by the case…

Kip

Upgraded from a Wildfire the other month. First tried the Samsung Ace II but it didn’t have flash on it and I just didn’t like it, so went for the Desire X. I really like it but it does seem a lot flimsier than the Wildfire.

I read somewhere the Desire X doesn’t have gorilla glass and as the Wildfire did that seems a bit annoying. I never used a case on the Wildfire and it looked barely used after 2 years general abuse, whereas the X already has a couple of tiny scratches on the screen. I have now purchased a case and screen protector.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Used Buymobilephones.net for the last couple of years and had no problems. Just got a Nexus 4 and like it so far, although it is pretty big.

Northwind

buymobilephones looks good- brings the nexus down to a doable price but I think I’ll probably use it to go for a sensible but cheaper option, X still top of my list. Don’t really think I’ll benefit much from the better handset. Very useful, cheers folks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New phone- Desire X still a good call?’ is closed to new replies.