Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • New pence coin
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Now, is it just me,.or does the one for the letter S, spell out the word ‘ShIT’?

tdog
    Free Member

Pic?

Drac

tdog
    Free Member

Ha! Why yes, yes it appears to be 💩

project
    Free Member

Royal Mint want to do away with the 1p and 2p coins as they cost to much, the conservative party have said ok get rid of them and they have huge experience of getting rid of Coppers.

cranberry
    Free Member

Can’t believe the outcry in the UK regarding the proposal to do away with 1p and 2p coins in the UK.

This was brought in for Holland many years back and is just common sense – they are no use and cost more to create than they are worth.

Does anyone actually take them out shopping with them these days  ?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Does anyone actually take them out shopping with them these days  ?

Never, & haven’t for years. Any I get go in a MASSIVE whisky bottle then get weighed in.

But until shops stop charging £X.99p they’ll have to stay.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Utter waste of effort, 1p and 2p should be gotten rid of tomorrow… Just brown shit weighing down yer pockets.

“Outcry” yeah, from a particular demographic voter sure.

molgrips
    Free Member

Finland never bothered to mint 1c and 2c coins.  In France pre-Euro they never had 1 and 2 centimes, but stuff in the supermarket still had any price.  They just rounded the bill to the nearest 5.  Over time it averaged out.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I remember living in Italy when they used the lira, as the real worth of the small denominations was so small, the change used to include small boiled sweets.

CountZero

Good riddance.

cranberry
    Free Member

As per Molgrips – if paying cash the bill is rounded up/down. If paying electronically the bill is exact.

simondbarnes

I use 1p and 2p almost every day. A toll bridge I cross costs 12p each way.

john_drummer
    Free Member

In Canada prices can add up to $n.97, for example; it’s simply rounded to the nearest 5cents

BigJohn

Get rid of the 1p but introduce a 99p coin.  No more loose change.

nealglover
    Free Member

But until shops stop charging £X.99p they’ll have to stay.

You are looking at it backwards.

Get rid of them regardless.

The shops would be forced to change their prices. Sorted.

shermer75
    Free Member

Get rid of the 1p but introduce a 99p coin.  No more loose change.

This made me chuckle!! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

milky1980
    Free Member

This is the UK, all bills will be rounded up, never down.  Everything that costs eg 36p will now cost 40p so inflation will temporarily jump.  That’s the real reason they won’t get rid of them, it’s a political hot potato.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

12p bridge crossing then it.ll be rounded down to 10p, although I’d hazard a guess they’d put the price up to 13p

footflaps

Given the rise of cardless transactions, coins in general must be getting used less and less. I now go for months at a time without handling any notes / coins.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s the thin end of the wedge.

When they did away with the ½ pence coin, sales of Mojos and Black Jacks plummeted.

Flumps will be next. You mark my words.

scotroutes

Penny. 

Pence is plural.

You can’t have a 1 or 1/2 pence coin FFS!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Pedants.

That’s plural too.

…and it’s ½, not 1/2  😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Prices don’t jump…

When paying by card you pay the exact amount so if it’s 2x99p you pay 2.97

If you pay cash you just use the rounding method so 96 & 97 = 95 then 98 & 99 = 1.00, amazingly other countries have manged this with ease and simplicity

higthepig
    Free Member

When paying by card you pay the exact amount so if it’s 2x99p you pay 2.97

?

tjagain

When I went to Poland in 1990 I got 17 000 odd zloty to the pound.  My money was exchanged exactly to the single zloty. Nothing was priced in less than ( IIRC) 50 zloty.  the one zloty coin is worth about 0.005p.  I still have it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

typo…. on the maths, 2×99 = 2.97.

But point still stands it’s possible to have less than 5p prices and just deal with it

tthew

12p bridge crossing then it.ll be rounded down to 10p, although I’d hazard a guess they’d put the price up to 13p

I don’t think that’d really help. 🙂

(I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that was a 15p typo)

Cougar

This is the UK, all bills will be rounded up, never down.  Everything that costs eg 36p will now cost 40p so inflation will temporarily jump.

I doubt it.  Retailers have used the x.99 trick for years to make prices look smaller than they are.  Something priced at £99.99 now would go to £99.95, not £100, I’d expect.

An TBH, I’d rather it went up rather than down.  Faffing about with change on larger purchases is, well, a faff.  “Here’s the keys to your new car sir, and here’s your 5p change.”

gummikuh

I thought the .99p trick was to stop shop staff pocketing the money when on the till. the thinking behind it is it forces the transaction to be run up and the till needs to be opened to give the change.

I might be wrong, but after working in retail, it wouldn’t surprise me.

sadmadalan

I too think that the 1p and 2p coins should be axed (along with the 20p coin).  However the charities said that people would stop giving them the small change so we end up keeping it.

On a related note (literally) where that have a 1 Peso note and a 3 Peso note (no 2 Peso).  Makes giving change interesting and makes you think a bit

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘New pence coin’ is closed to new replies.