Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New Pedals – Nano-Thru vs Shimano Saint vs DMR Vaults
  • ajt123
    Free Member

As the title says – my Kona Jack-sh*ts have come to the end of their lives and need replacing.

Godsend really as I always hated them.

I reckon I would like the DMRs if it were money no object, but not sure whether to stretch that far [Pay freeze].

Shimano’s look nice, but smaller than the vaults, Nano Thru seem to be a know-quantity and are cheaper than the lot.

I know probably people will answer – get what you want, or how long is a piece of string – but does anyone have experience of 2, or 3 – i.e. can make an actual comparison?

Cheers

Alex

honourablegeorge

Nanos are very good, and if you get themn from carbonCycles.cc, they’re veyr cheap.

Vaults are better in every way, for me – bigger, grippier, easy to service, have a lovely secure, concave feel to them, support my big feet better (I used to get some foot pain where my foot overlapped the Nanos).

I have two sets of Vaults now, whether they’re worth twice the cash or not is probably a matter or personal preference, but I’d happily buy them again.

Not tried the Saints, but have held them in my hand – they’re a lovely looking pedal, and Shimano make reliable pedals.

flyingmonkeycorps

Used the DMRs on someone else’s bike, and I have normal Nanos on my bike. The Vaults probably look nicer, but in all honesty I couldn’t tell the difference on the bike, certainly not to the tune of 60 odd quid.

bigbadbob
    Free Member

I got a pair of Vaults, they are great for non-slippage, but the small rubber seal on the axle to the pedal comes away all too easily for my liking, not sure if it is a design flaw if it is just me, but it is a really faff to clean and try get back on. Not tried any of the other pedals, but the Vaults are great for me.

scruff
    Free Member

nanos not well sealed, the outer cap rounded on mine so couldnt get more grease in, bought Saints. Not big or thin but grippy and robust, nice concave aswell so feel better for my size 43s.

ajt123
    Free Member

Thanks flyingmonkeycorps

Out of interest, how large are your feet?

Mine are 12s and I tend to ride duck-footed – hence bigger platform is attractive.

Agree that lots of pedals are crazy steep nowadays.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’ve ordered some saints off of zee germans, after the weekend i’ll be able to give you a comparison between them and the nanos.

wolly
    Free Member

Used nano’s and saints and the saints are beterer.

Gotama
    Free Member

I’ve been having a similar dither for a while. My nanos have been faultless for about 4 years but i get drawn to vaults for the bigger platform as i’m also a size 12. Price is the big put down though since i can’t really fault the nanos.

Moe

I bought some Saints about two weeks ago but they’re still in the box :oops:, as my previous flats were cheap Welgos no doubt I’ll be very impressed but will be of no help!

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve got the nano’s and they’re pretty good although I wouldn’t say they were the grippiest things out there. I bought them because they get pretty good reviews, were cheap and loads lighter than my old Azonic A frames.

I refuse to buy expensive flats because I ruin then by pulling out pins etc thanks to a low bb.

Not used the Saints but the old DX were good and super tough.

chr15
    Free Member

I have the Saints and like ’em. Not much more money than Nanos from the right shop, seem to be keeping their finish reasonably well, and whilst not the hugest, they are a decent size platform and, importantly I think, the platforms are fairly well spaced from the crank.

flyingmonkeycorps

Size 10ish, but quite wide feet – I had a pair of V8 copies for a while ages ago and i got rid ‘cos my feet hung off the edge uncomfortably. The Nanos are about the same size (maybe a smidge wider) than the Gusset Slim Jim’s I had before, I reckon.

If money were no option I’d have the DMRs, but sadly it is.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve got Nanos on one bike and Vaults on another (and size 9 feet)

Vaults:
    +ve. Grippier. Bigger. Easy to strip/service.
    -ve. Delicate (easy to bend pins). Pins work loose and need to be locktited in from new. End caps are made of cheese and difficult to remove once you’ve smashed them into a few rocks. Axle bent quite easily from striking a rock at speed. Axle seal is poor and often works up the axle, letting crap into the bushing.

Nanos:
    +ve. More robust. Non-through-pin design means pins don’t work loose. More metal around the pins means you don’t bend them as easily. Sealing is better around the axle. Cheap from Carbon Cycles. Just as easy to strip/service as Vaults.
    -ve. Not quite as grippy (not much less)

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve had saints and really liked them but not as much as my old straitline ones which were faultless.

widge34
    Free Member

Had both Nanos and now running saints. Both great pedals, but i would say the Saints edge it.

Moe

Have to say, loving the saints. Definitely a huge difference! 😀

zelak999
    Free Member

Ive had both the Nanos and the Vaults.
    Vaults are the dogs IMO, better grip and feel really comfy.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Currently running saints and nanos, both good.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I started out on mx30 but noticed an improvement going to nano. They felt gripper and more secure which I think was due to being thinner. Now running two sets of vaults. They feel better again but by a much smaller margin this time. Inner bushing often works loose and pushes the seal out. Annoying but a two minute fix.

They are a lovely green colour to match my hope brakes though.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Not had either but know a couple lads who love their Nanos so them.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Been running Kona Wahwahs (so nano thru-pins) for some years, but recently bought a set of Vaults.

The Wahwahs have been pretty good, although I’ve bent both axles at various points. Largely they’ve just worked.

The Vaults are a larger platform (possibly slightly too large for my size 9s) and a bit lighter, but the major difference is the concave shape. My feet really do feel like they’re sitting in the pedal not on it, which makes a huge difference riding rocks at speed.

fakesounding
    Free Member

I’ve had nano and vaults, now run the saints and I absolutely love them, best pedal I’ve ever used.

Everywhere is doing them for £45ish at the mo, so I’ve just picked up another pair!

kevster
    Free Member

I was torn between the Saints and Nanos. However, just got a £5 off code from Evans which makes the Saints £40 so think that’s what I’ll buy.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘New Pedals – Nano-Thru vs Shimano Saint vs DMR Vaults’ is closed to new replies.