Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New pedal time – Vault vs MK5 vs Instinct
  • zezaskar
    Free Member

Hi all,

My Nukeproof Horizons are giving the ghost, busted bearings, rattling bushings, damaged bushing bore on the pedal, a cracked nut and a couple of damaged pin hole threads. The refresh kit would help a bit, but not only it’s out of stock in the known universe but would also only help partially. So I guess it’s maybe time for retirement.

Looking at new pedals at the moment, some things I’d like to see:
    – grip as close as possible as the Horizons
    – preferably made in the UK
    – wearing size 12 Impacts, so a reasonably big platform is nice
    – M4 pins or close. Want robustness and don’t like the floaty feel of M3 pins
    – standard hardware, easily sourced pins, or at least possible to be replaced by such (for further customisation or emergency repairs)
    – durable internals

The ones that interest me the most:
    Burgtec MK5
    + Killer looks
    + Reputation for durable internals
    + Better aluminium grade on the platform
    + UK made
    + Pins seem to be replaceable by standard M4 grub screws
    – can’t really find user reports on them, is anybody running these?
    – some doubts about the Q factor, seem to be narrower than the Horizons

Unite Instinct
    + UK made
    + Good platform size and potentially Q factor
    + Seems to use a proper seal and good quality internals
    + Uses standard grub screws for easy replacements and customisation
    + Middle of the road price
    – lack of user feedback
    – don’t seem to be that concave

DMR Vault
    + Everyone seems to rave about their grip and feel, makes me curious to try them
    + Wide Q factor
    + Pins can be replaced by standard screws
    – contradictory reports on internals durability. Would likely replace the standard bushings with Igus W300s
    – price seems a bit high for something with a debatable durability reputation

Shimano Saint M828
    + Can get a pair nearly for free
    + Shimano durability
    + Large platform
    – not sure if the pins can be replaced with standard grub screws
    – lack of user feedback

So this is it.
    If anyone has experience with the MK5s, Instincts or Saints I’d love to hear about it

Thanks

jamiemcf

I’ve some 5 year old vaults.
    After a few rides and replaced pins I threadlocked them all in and I’ve only replaced one (also happened to be the time my wife had a go). I have smashed them off rocks and all the outside leading edge pins are squint but they still work and they’re now not coming out.

The bushes have been replaced every year as wear developed but this time I have replaced the axel as well as there was a smidge of wear around the bush. The bearings seem to hold up longer than the bushes, but I’m sure someone will tell me I’m wrong.

Grip has been good. I used them with the original Vaude Moab and now impact pro, size 10. Or 10.5, can’t remember just now

sharkattack

I’ve been using Vaults since they came out and I’ve still got my earliest pair. Big platform and all the grip. There was nothing else like them at the time. I’m sure there are good alternatives now but I’ve got no reason to switch.

zezaskar
    Free Member

That’s my issue with the Vaults, £90 for a product that needs new internals every year seems bonkers.

On my clipless years I used a set of Shimano M540s for nearly 10 years with minimal maintenance

marksnook
    Free Member

Had vaults in the past and loved them. The maintenance needed on them is a pain though I agree.
    Won some tenet pedals in a competition so have been running those but they were quite as good.
    Just bought a pair of bergtec mk5 and wow! The grip is amazing, pins seem mega long so maybe it’s that but it’s there in spades!
    I was worried about them being close to the crank arm. In reality they aren’t close but look it from the shape of them!
    Can’t comment on longevity yet but I don’t think you will disappointed

NormalMan

Literally a couple of rides only on MK5 but I’m impressed so far. They feel well made and are super grippy.

chiefgrooveguru

I think you can get longer axles for the Burgtecs but I may be imagining it!

I love how my Vaults feel and they’ve been fine in terms of durability – but I don’t mind a bit of play, I just chuck extra grease in. I have three pairs, nine, six and two years old. Between them they’ve been properly serviced three times with one change of axles. About 11,000 miles total, all conditions.

Avoid the Brendog ones – moto pins are less grippy AND eat a hole in your soles!

samwilk200
    Free Member

Had Vaults now got Instincts. Big fan of Unite stuff. Very well made and feel solid. Just as grippy as Vaults with my 5.10s

leeroysilk
    Free Member

Recently switched from Hope to Mk5. The Burgtec’s do have appear to a narrower Q factor but you’re foot position is still central and away from the crank arm. They’re super grippy (in 5tens) compared to the Hope which is why I switched.
    Quality is top notch.

kristoff
    Free Member

Always been a vaults user up until this year.

Bought some unite instincts and they’re as grippy as the vaults, feel like they’re really built to last.

One side note, when I first fitted them they were very stiff to spin on the axles, I think the tolerances on the igus bushings are significantly tighter than that of the vaults so just give them a little time to bed in.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’ll narrow it down to the Burgtecs and the Unites.
    No user experiences on the Shimano Saints I assume?

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve not ridden the Saints but they are very thick but small. Didn’t look a great shape compared to the Vaults.

honourablegeorge

chiefgrooveguru

I think you can get longer axles for the Burgtecs but I may be imagining it!

Older MK4s had the option of “boost” axles to move them out from the crank, new ones have that as standard.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve had Vaults for a good few years now, but recently bought some (purple!) mkV Burgtecs.

Bar the bushing issue, the vaults have been excellent. Large, grippy and survived being bounced off rocks very well. I made the bushing problem go away by DIYing some grease ports, at which point they’d last several years between services. Yes you shouldn’t have to, but its an easy solution.

The Mk Vs. Hmmm. They’re jewellery – the quality of the ano is WAY better than Hope, and I did properly wince when I discovered quite how low the BB on my new bike is the hard way. Grip is “good enough” – easier to reposition your feet than on the Vaults, but then you never really needed to on the DMRs. The big problem is that every time I’ve washed the bike, the axles seize up, and even after a rebuild (which needs a ground down 10mm socket), they’re never less than “quite stiff”. Certainly nothing like my other half’s 2 pairs of Burgtec Composites, or any of my spds. If I’ve got the bike on the workstand and am pedalling by hand, you can feel the drag in the pedal easily. I’m about to email Burgtec for a solution…

daver27
    Free Member

I’ve got the Mk5 burgtecs. Aside from being utterly beautiful to look at, they have a fantastic platform, so far seem bombproof and are as smooth as you like.

Was dubious about buying them, but they really are something else.

Never got why Vaults are so well regarded. Every DMR pedal I’ve had or known about has been utter garbage (and that has been several pairs under different riders, not just a one off). From bearings lasting one ride in the worst case, to pins falling out. Garbage.

I also use Saint SPD’s, granted not the flat version, but they are hands down the best SPD’s I’ve ever used.

No experience of the others you mention, but I can’t see how they can be better than the Burgtecs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New pedal time – Vault vs MK5 vs Instinct’ is closed to new replies.