Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • New Partridge
  • mrb123
    Free Member

What’s the forum verdict on this then?

I thought it was pretty poor sadly. Coogan as Partridge will always be watchable and there were a couple of good lines. The format didn’t really work though IMO and overall the quality was a far cry from the incomparable genius of I’m Alan Partridge.

Seems to have been pretty well reviewed in the press though so what do I know!

choppersquad
    Free Member

A couple of very funny lines, but on the whole a bit of a miss.
    Maybe it’ll improve over the series?

rone

Good they tried a new format. And first episodes are always a bit ropey…

However I will still watch it as there was the occasional great moment.

Some things didn’t work, and his character doesn’t seemed to have aged/progressed in line with other versions.

handybar
    Free Member

A journalist wrote it doesn’t work because it is impossible to parody the idiocy and absurdity of The One Show, I’m inclined to agree.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

5/5 on The Guardian. i’m watching it tonight as it was on too late for me!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Worth watching for the toilet scene alone.

kimbers

Couple of really good scenes, but agree that parodying the One show is going to be impossible as it’s already so brain dead!

Will keep watching, but not as brilliant as him living in the Linton Travel Tavern.

kelvin

Loved it.

ctk
    Free Member

Terrorist in NI accent was funny and EmilyMaitlis bit. If every episode is in the studio it’ll be unbearable.

Also as above he’s got younger!

DezB
    Free Member

And first episodes are always a bit ropey…

Always? Inbetweeners? Gavin & Stacy? first 2 that come to mind and their first episodes were superb.
    Always found Partridge hit & miss myself (preferred Paul Calf!) but I know I’m in the minority there with the hip comedy kidz.

jekkyl

Alice Fluck!
    I thought it was ace…absolutely laughed my head off.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I too found myself wanting it to move away from the studio or the “live TV” scenes … but that is only because with it being sooo cringey I find it really quite hard to watch.

I think I like it best when he has a little victory…. whatever, just my musings

gobuchul
    Free Member

I love a bit of Partridge, but that was disappointing.

It was always going to be a tough one.

There was no Armando Iannucci involvement, which is always going to weaken it. The Gibbons brothers have taken Alan a different, less funny, route.

rOcKeTdOg

The format didn’t really work though

isn’t that the point though, you cringe Along with Alan?

rone

Always? Inbetweeners? Gavin & Stacy? first 2

Well as a general rule you’ve got set things up which takes time.

Inbetweeners was always awful.

Gavin & Stacey , unique in respect of your comments..

rone

Can’t completely accept the comments about being beyond parody as you could’ve said that about his very first series, and the shows it was based on.

kimbers

Always? Inbetweeners? Gavin & Stacy? first 2

Inbetweeners they just ripped the American pie grossout stuff, while Gavin & Stacey was only really funny when ‘Nessa was on screen.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I thought it was great, but I actually prefer the Gibbons stuff. There’s lot of word play going on, like the “china man square” reference last night, which might not be to everyone’s taste.

DezB
    Free Member

Inbetweeners was always awful.

Oh wow. I’ve not anybody that thinks that. Or wanted to.

Inbetweeners they just ripped the American pie grossout stuff[/ik]
    They completely obviously didn’t, but hey, you didn’t get it, fair enough.

I’ll leave you Partridge boys to your “obviously completely different sense of humour” chat.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Slag from the bible
    Big in the back time
    the list of c list celebs
    Sidekick Simon
    Clunt/Fluck
    Chinaman Square
    Chocolate for the wife
    that reporter that wouldn’t agree with him
    the story about his grandad
    the way he pronounced “terrorist”
    “no… we mustn’t” to the hygiene lady washing her hands for him
    the hygiene lady being called Jean… “Hi Jean….”

all classic partridge, and got a genuine “lol” from me… anyone who disagrees should stick to mrs brown’s boys

bye

andylc
    Free Member

How dare anyone compare AP to Inbetweeners (terrible) or Gavin and Stacey (massively overrated). Haven’t seen the latest one though!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Alan Partidge occurred during one of my periods of not watching telly. Same as Inbetweeners and Gavin and Stacey.
    If i’m round anyones house and they find out they often insist on showing me an episode and I tend to find it all a bit average. I did like the first episode of Inbetweeners with the trying to buy drinks in the pub scene but I’ve never felt the urge to dig out other episodes.
    All seems a bit flat if haven’t got part of your youth invested in it…

precutduck
    Free Member

I enjoyed it, obviously nowhere near as good as ‘I’m Alan Partridge’ but that would be almost impossible.

I’m kind of glad they didn’t try and do a new series of ‘I’m Alan Partridge’, it was perfect as it was.

pondo

^^^ What Eddie said. Partridge was aleays the weak bit in The Day Today.

rone

Oh wow. I’ve not anybody that thinks that. Or wanted to

Witless toilet humour not my thing. And I’m sure I’m not alone.

Naff.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Too obvious/too trying hard.

Should have been more subtle, make it a bit more likely that he would have been chosen to host a TV show but with a few subtle slip-ups along the way. As it was there is no way that someone like that would have been given a TV show to do, and certainly not another episode.

I managed to see a bit of Malcom that was on before it and that was awful as well – the license fee is a bit of a joke now with only the odd series that is any good and then masses of junk.

Drac

Just watched it always had mixed opinions with Partridge but that was Ok.

Gavin and Stacey however was shite.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

there is no way that someone like that would have been given a TV show to do

What ? As opposed to a woman being called Alice Fluck or the hygienist being called Jean or wearing a green shirt or a man being interviewed wearing a mickey mouse mask …. lol

Drac

there is no way that someone like that would have been given a TV show to do

binners

Not brilliant but definitely worth sticking with as I reckon it’ll get better. Some geuine LOL moments of vintage Alan. Its the little details, like when he’s walking down the street and you hear someone shout, off camera, “Partridge, you w*****r!”

The difference with parodying TV now is that all the ‘Monkey Tennis’ ideas Alan blurted out, which sounded utterly absurd back then, have all become reality. Gordon Ramsey has actually made ‘Cooking in Prison’

Anyway… I’ll just leave this here. The best opening sequence to any film ever made, and something guarantee to make your day better

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    RustySpanner

I thought it was excellent. 🙂

batfink
    Free Member

“I was told you were separated”

Loved it

bikebouy
    Free Member

I was a massive fan of Alan Partidge BITD.

We share the same clothing style and I too live in a hotel during most weeks, it’s no coincidence that I bought the same branded car..

But I can’t bring myself to watch this incarnation..

Drac

Can’t think why.

rone

Thing is – it’s the only reason I’ve turned on the BBC in ages. (Apart from laugh a minute QT)

globalti
    Free Member

It was boring and not funny so we turned it off after five minutes. We also watched the new Martin Clunes thing, which was even less funny.

richardkennerley

It was boring and not funny so we turned it off after five minutes

It was much funnier after 6 minutes

binners

I thought the really funny stuff was between minutes 9 and 13, there was a lull noticeable between minutes 16-18 but it picked up strongly in minute 21

chestercopperpot
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘New Partridge’ is closed to new replies.