Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • new pads fitted but….
  • dubber71
    Free Member

Hi all, ive had new pads fitted on my deore XTs (genuine item) last friday and ive now done about 20 miles on them but the front one seems to be sticking as when i lift the front wheel off the floor and spin the wheel its not spinning freely.
    i had them fitted in a shop so i can take it back to be sorted but i wanted to know what could be the cause of it..
    thanks,Paul

handyandy
    Free Member

Try checking the caliper is centered first. Takes 10 seconds and could save you a trip.

dubber71
    Free Member

Cheers, my skills are pretty much zero on this sort of thing, if its not centered is it easy to adjust?

scaled
    Free Member

Loosen the bolts slightly that hold the caliper on the the mount, squeeze the brake lever and tighten the bolts again.

If it’s still rubbing then you might have a sticky piston or something

markshires
    Free Member

As above, It could also be that the pistons were not pushed back in too as they would have been pushed out as the old pads had worn. If you are not confident with the fixes mentioned above I would take it back to your shop.

dubber71
    Free Member

all done, thanks for your help…

greenbikerider
    Free Member

As well as the above tips, new pads time is also a good time to check your pistons are lubed slightly to prevent them ‘sticking’. With pads removed, gently expose about 2-3mm depth of piston by holding back an opposing piston with a blunt/plastic tool. Then gently apply a small amount of a silicon lube (eg, Fork Juice) and let it seep around piston edges. Repeat for other piston. Then ‘reset’ pistons equally by using same tool to ‘push’ them back, before fitting new pads.

Then centre calipers as suggested above. By having lubed pistons at same time with fresh pads, this helps to ensure that new pads will bed in equally and not suffer sticking pistons.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘new pads fitted but….’ is closed to new replies.