Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New oval chainring and new chain
  • andykentos
    Free Member

Just ordered a new oval chainring from absolute black as i wanted to try a smaller chainring so thought i would try oval at the same time. Bike is new, only done around 125km.

Is the consensus i need a new chain or can i get away with using the old one?

Thanks in advance

dmck16
    Free Member

Just use the chain you have, shouldn’t be anything wrong with it. Take out a couple of links if necessary.

Yak

Probably fine, unless your mileage has been very mucky. Measure it to be sure. Change if it’s a kmc though.

br
    Free Member

Common consensus is that an oval chainring gives you a bit extra from a gearing perspective, so tbh you should’ve been able to stay with the same number of teeth – if only dropping 2 of course.

jruk
    Free Member

@Yak – why change if it’s KMC?

nickc

I wouldn’t change a chain that had done under a 100 miles.

Yak

I had a new kmc on a new absolute black chainring and it continually fell off in a muddy race ( Dec). I contacted absolute black about this and they told me kmc oversize the rollers so the chain is slightly too tight a fit and can’t sit down onto the chainring in mucky conditions. Shimano and SRAM are fine.

andykentos
    Free Member

Common consensus is that an oval chainring gives you a bit extra from a gearing perspective, so tbh you should’ve been able to stay with the same number of teeth – if only dropping 2 of course.

I live in the alps so hoping that with the added benefit of having the bit extra as an emergency when i am done in, and i can still get half decent gearing from the 30tooth. If that makes sense!

jruk
    Free Member

@Yak – thanks for letting me know. Just fitted a new KMC chain and AB ring so will see what happens!

Yak

It’ll be fine in good conditions. It’s just when there’s a lot of mud and the chain can’t push it out of the way. I’ve swapped to a shimano chain and put an old chain device back on, just to be sure.

sparkyrhino

Not had a problem with a new AB oval and new KMC 11sp chain on my H/T ,and ridden through some axel deep plop/slop up and down dale, it is a tarty gold un though 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

KMC + AB here. No issues.

Yak

Damn, should have got a mud-shedding tarty gold one instead of the mud-magnet black one…. 😀

rOcKeTdOg

Use an oval specific chain for optimal performance

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New oval chainring and new chain’ is closed to new replies.